Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Racing/Training Tire Choice. Felt Vs. Conti
Quote | Reply
So I've got some brand new Felt TTR1 aero tires and a set of Continental Grand Sport Race tires. I'm guessing that the Felt brand tires are "better" on the notion that they have a higher tpi count and weight less. My problem is deciding which tires to race with and which ones to train with.

Any suggestions at all are greatly appreciated and any advice doesn't hurt either! Thanks!

P.s 23mm tires
Quote Reply
Re: Racing/Training Tire Choice. Felt Vs. Conti [swim_corey_run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swim_corey_run wrote:
So I've got some brand new Felt TTR1 aero tires and a set of Continental Grand Sport Race tires. I'm guessing that the Felt brand tires are "better" on the notion that they have a higher tpi count and weight less. My problem is deciding which tires to race with and which ones to train with.

Any suggestions at all are greatly appreciated and any advice doesn't hurt either! Thanks!

P.s 23mm tires

I wouldn't run either of those tires for racing. Continental makes great tires but those aren't the ones to race on. Both are fine for training though. If you are racing just get a set of Conti GP TT in 23mm and pair with Vittoria Latex Tubes. Based on everything we know, from people in the know, this is likely going to be very close to the best speed without the necessary downside of a couple of tires that are just a little faster yet.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Racing/Training Tire Choice. Felt Vs. Conti [swim_corey_run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swim_corey_run wrote:

P.s 23mm tires

I'd suggest searching the forum here for all kinds of racing tire related information.

The Felt TTR1 tires were tested by TomA and they look to roll as bad as 25c Conti Gatorskins which are a notoriously slow tire. The TTR1 may have better than normal aero properties, but if it rolls that bad I'd forget it.

I don't see any testing for the Conti Grand Sport Race tire. Judging from how it is constructed I would not guess it rolls particularly well either.

Consider some of the faster Conti options such as the ubiquitous GP 4000SII or the GP TT for fast racing tires with a protection belt layer. More importantly look into using latex tubes and get some practice using them if you want to try them for racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said the Felt tires are not great. I have a set that came stock on my new bike last year. I rode them a few times but they are not terribly comfortable and I have no difficulty believing they are not fast (and if Tom A's testing showed this I'd take it as fact). I'm using one of mine as my trainer tyre. It works fine for that! The second will replace it when the current one eventually wears out.

I don't have experience with the Conti Grand Sport Race tyres. I think they're a fairly basic tyre as compared with the GP4000SII or Supersonic, TT, Force/Attack, etc.
You may be able to find test data for these tyres but I wouldn't bet on it. Most of the tyres that get independently tested are either competitive tyres or occasionally a poorer performing benchmark (e.g. Gatorskins)

Between your two I'd probably go with the Contis in the absence of data. But it's just a guess.
If you decide to buy new tyres, I'd go with Thomas' suggestion, or GP4000SII (generally accepted to be the best all-rounder).
Quote Reply
Re: Racing/Training Tire Choice. Felt Vs. Conti [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the insight! Definitely going to look at other tires now, probably the GP s. Makes sense the felt tires are just average at best.
Quote Reply