Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
(UPDATE) Just missed a Kona slot...Always go to the roll down...
Quote | Reply
(UPDATE)

Just completed yesterday the 2017 edition of IMMT in 9:21 and punched my ticket for the big dance. The craziest part is that my dad also qualified, finishing 2nd in M55-59. I'm usually not a "spiritual" person but this makes me wonder if it wasn't part of a bigger plan all along. Getting a slot last year would have been awesome, but to share my first Kona experience with my dad is completely crazy. I mean, how many fathers and sons qualify for Kona in the same race?! I still can't believe it. Seemed like a cool story to share so I thought I might update the thread. Aloha.

(INITIAL POST)

Hi,

Yesterday, I finished IMMT in 9:52 (9th in M30-34). Horrible day that broke me mentally : hardcore rain and wind all day. I did not attend the slot allocation and they called my name. I have been dreaming of Kona for the last year. I feel crushed and cannot find any positive in this horrible situation. I thought I would pass this along if anyone considers skipping the slot allocation because they did not make the podium.

Please share your stories to help me get over this. Thanks.
Last edited by: ElliotOP: Aug 21, 17 19:21
Quote Reply
Re: Just missed a Kona slot...Always go the roll down... [ElliotOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What spot in the AG did it roll down to?
Quote Reply
Re: Just missed a Kona slot...Always go the roll down... [ElliotOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ElliotOP wrote:
Hi,

Yesterday, I finished IMMT in 9:52 (9th in M30-34). Horrible day that broke me mentally : hardcore rain and wind all day. I did not attend the slot allocation and they called my name. I have been dreaming of Kona for the last year. I feel crushed and cannot find any positive in this horrible situation. I thought I would pass this along if anyone considers skipping the slot allocation because they did not make the podium.

Yep, these stories come up every now and then. Anyone who does not go to the awards is not 100% committed to wanting to get to Kona. The race is not done until
the awards are done. Sorry you missed out. same thing happened to some who do not go to awards at the USAT Nationals. They may not get a TeamUSA spot.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One age group rolled down to 23rd spot. Crazy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thought I missed out on a 70.3 worlds roll-down spot in Tahoe last September due to traffic getting to the awards. I ran up as they were finishing having missed my AG. Asked a spectator if M30-34 rolled. They said it went to like 13th place (I was 7th).

Felt like I got kicked in the gut. Turns out the M35-39 rolled down and my AG did not - wouldn't have made a difference if I was there or not.

Having been in your shoes for a couple days before finding out my AG didn't roll, I want to say I'm really sorry. Take a little bit of time. Do something non-tri related that you love (hiking, trail running, rock climbing, playing guitar, eating a pint of ice cream).

I'm really sorry.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Just missed a Kona slot...Always go the roll down... [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A 40-44 slot at IM Copenhagen went to some dude with a 11:45 finish today - he was the only guy left there after there were no takers for the second 18-24 slot and they re-allocated it to 40-44. Wish they had allocated it to the 45-49 age group.
Quote Reply
Re: Just missed a Kona slot...Always go the roll down... [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone who does not go to the awards is not 100% committed to wanting to get to Kona.

That will certainly help the OP get over it...

Quote Reply
Re: Just missed a Kona slot...Always go the roll down... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Anyone who does not go to the awards is not 100% committed to wanting to get to Kona.

Sometimes honesty is the best policy, and my comment was not pointed to the OP, or I would have used his name.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very sorry,

We had a guy yesterday Pb by 30 minutes and miss Kq by 41 seconds... Gutted but his t1 and T2 times were better than those ahead...so he didn't lose on technical issues... 4 week s after Whistler.

On a side note I saw the Oa female Ag winner at Penticton in 2012 miss her spot by 3 minutes (showed up at 11:03)

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Elliot, I am gutted to hear your story.....1996, when I was 30, back when you could KQ at half IM's, I had the perfect training build for Wildflower and came in 8th overall age grouper. I missed a Kona slot in 30-34 by 8 seconds. The crazy part is some of the guys went in the elite age grouper wave and the last guy who got the KQ ran a 1:35 out of that wave and I ran 1:28 out of the regular wave.....if we were in the same wave, I am certain, I'd have found the legs to close an 8 second gap. We were becoming parents later that summer, and the hope was to KQ and then go to Kona as new parents. In Sep after my son was born, there was another Kona Qualifier in Muskoka. 3 days before the race, got hit by a car riding to work. No chance to race. One of my best buddies called me on Sunday saying, "Dev, you should have been there....they rolled the slots through the entire field and one Kona slot did not get taken".....WTF....rolled through the field and no one left? That never would happen then or now. I sunk into my chair, and I think I cried all evening.

From 1997-2005 I could not put in a proper build to KQ due to being young parents. 2006, my son was 10, and got the green light to put in a big build summer. 10 years later, got into Kona. Got 2 more trips to Kona after that. I always go to rolldown now.

Dev
Quote Reply
Post deleted by jjh [ In reply to ]
Re: Just missed a Kona slot...Always go the roll down... [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
ElliotOP wrote:
Hi,

Yep, these stories come up every now and then. Anyone who does not go to the awards is not 100% committed to wanting to get to Kona. The race is not done until
the awards are done. Sorry you missed out. same thing happened to some who do not go to awards at the USAT Nationals. They may not get a TeamUSA spot.

Captain Obvious does not help in these situations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now you know you have the ability and an outstanding base to build off of for next year!!!! You will crush it next year for sure after building off your current fitness or just maintaining it.This year just wasn't meant to be so don't stress too much. Keep up the great work!!!!

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Just missed a Kona slot...Always go the roll down... [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every time I think about KQ, I go for a long run in the South Florida 95F heat and 80% humidity and then I'm good for another week or two.

jjh wrote:
Think of the 7-10k you are saving. That will help.

I've done Kona, and am going back, but I am idiot. Your brain feels like it is actually roasting out there. Also, I firmly expect that despite winning my qualifier and currently being in the best shape of my life I am going to get destroyed in my AG. Women who started behind me will possibly catch me. You are not missing much.

Also, think about how happy the guy who actually did get the spot probably was, and if that does not work think about how miserable he will be getting his ass kicked all day on Oct 8th.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Missed the roll down at Whistler 70.3 by one spot 4 weeks ago. Got it yesterday the next race. You'll definitely get Kona sooner than later!
Quote Reply
Re: Just missed a Kona slot...Always go the roll down... [awcashion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No idea. I stopped watching the video coverage that was posted on the FB page after I heard my name. To put it in context, I saw the post and got curious. Then after seing the spot getting rolled down I started becoming anxious. Once I heard I name, I nearly fainted...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry dude. I know what this is like and it stings bad first few days. Then it gets better especially if you jump into training right away and set your sights to the next race.
Quote Reply
Re: Just missed a Kona slot...Always go the roll down... [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
Thought I missed out on a 70.3 worlds roll-down spot in Tahoe last September due to traffic getting to the awards. I ran up as they were finishing having missed my AG. Asked a spectator if M30-34 rolled. They said it went to like 13th place (I was 7th).

Felt like I got kicked in the gut. Turns out the M35-39 rolled down and my AG did not - wouldn't have made a difference if I was there or not.

Having been in your shoes for a couple days before finding out my AG didn't roll, I want to say I'm really sorry. Take a little bit of time. Do something non-tri related that you love (hiking, trail running, rock climbing, playing guitar, eating a pint of ice cream).

I'm really sorry.

Thanks kjmcawesome. I'll definitely rest and focus on other stuff for the next week or two...
Quote Reply
Re: Just missed a Kona slot...Always go the roll down... [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Very sorry,

We had a guy yesterday Pb by 30 minutes and miss Kq by 41 seconds... Gutted but his t1 and T2 times were better than those ahead...so he didn't lose on technical issues... 4 week s after Whistler.

On a side note I saw the Oa female Ag winner at Penticton in 2012 miss her spot by 3 minutes (showed up at 11:03)

Maurice

That's terrible and feel bad for these guys. The thing that drives me crazy is that it's 100% on me. I missed the opportunity by not showing up and I can't do anything about it... Gotta let it sink and focus on next year. Thanks for replying.
Quote Reply
Re: Just missed a Kona slot...Always go the roll down... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Hi Elliot, I am gutted to hear your story.....1996, when I was 30, back when you could KQ at half IM's, I had the perfect training build for Wildflower and came in 8th overall age grouper. I missed a Kona slot in 30-34 by 8 seconds. The crazy part is some of the guys went in the elite age grouper wave and the last guy who got the KQ ran a 1:35 out of that wave and I ran 1:28 out of the regular wave.....if we were in the same wave, I am certain, I'd have found the legs to close an 8 second gap. We were becoming parents later that summer, and the hope was to KQ and then go to Kona as new parents. In Sep after my son was born, there was another Kona Qualifier in Muskoka. 3 days before the race, got hit by a car riding to work. No chance to race. One of my best buddies called me on Sunday saying, "Dev, you should have been there....they rolled the slots through the entire field and one Kona slot did not get taken".....WTF....rolled through the field and no one left? That never would happen then or now. I sunk into my chair, and I think I cried all evening.

From 1997-2005 I could not put in a proper build to KQ due to being young parents. 2006, my son was 10, and got the green light to put in a big build summer. 10 years later, got into Kona. Got 2 more trips to Kona after that. I always go to rolldown now.

Dev

Hi Dev,

Thanks for sharing your story. Those 8 seconds must've been hard to digest... If the guy was in your wave it probably would've been an epic sprint finish. I can relate to "I sunk into my chair, and I think I cried all evening" you experienced after Muskoka. Thanks for replying and giving me hope. I love this sport that is such a big part of my life and identity. I'm in this for the long run and will crush it next year. I'll always attend the slot allocation from now on... that's for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Just missed a Kona slot...Always go the roll down... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Yeah, it's a kick in the nuts, but there's some truth to this... It does not help me feel better but I wont make this mistake ever again. I sincerely hope this will help others not make the same bad decision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Potentially dumb question: Are roll down results posted anywhere after the fact?
Quote Reply
Re: Just missed a Kona slot...Always go the roll down... [sjn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sjn wrote:
Potentially dumb question: Are roll down results posted anywhere after the fact?

Officially no. You need to be there or ask someone who's been there. People often post roll down results well here actually. :)
Last edited by: Dilbert: Aug 22, 16 18:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So let me get this straight..you purchase the most aero gear available, get a coach, train 18-22 hours per week, push all others (family and friends) aside, and then don't attend the awards? I'm creating a story here, of course but if you put in all of the time and sacrifice, I encourage everyone to take that 1.5 hours (that sucks when you didn't have the day you expected) and attend the award ceremony.

I love hearing those stories about those who came back and had a slot roll...to me, it's earned.

Hate to hear you missed a slot after such a great day.
Quote Reply
Re: Just missed a Kona slot...Always go the roll down... [Raw Oyster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 50-54 rolled down to something crazy like 23rd spot, even Mike Reilly commented on how he had not experienced similar this year. I finished about 18 spots off a Kona slot but purely went down to experience an "awards ceremony" after 4 IMs. Do i think someone who finishes 23rd in a rolldown deserves a spot, no, but that's a different thread. Anyone in top 10 in AG should be going to the awards ceremony.

https://ascentsportscoaching.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next