Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cold Penis During Winter Run [jO4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I need to find someone who knits. ASAP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A pom-pom on the end of that would make it even cooler.

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Penis During Winter Run [spiderwj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a blessing and a curse, but I use finger puppets. The 4-pack last me all week.

Damn, that's a cold ass honkey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Make that thing out of Smartwool and I am in love.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very simple cheap solution.

Take a grocery bag, cut off the handle, streatch out the other handle, and tie it around your waist, stick the rest of the bag down your shorts to cover your bits and pieces. Works like a charm, is free, and recycles; plus you crinkle when you walk.

stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
Not cheaper, but even simpler: Just stuff a plastic grocery bag down the front of your tights. Works for me, even running at -30 deg C in Ottawa.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get some wind briefs. I also run with wind pants instead of tights.

I don't remember what brand I have but they certainly weren't $40. More like $15-$20 at my local running shop.
Last edited by: gonzobob: Oct 12, 09 10:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The responses to this ST thread are very helpful and also VERY PRE--DICK--TABLE! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're having this problem with temps in the 30s, you may have a circulation problem...consider visiting a doc. I wear running underwear with a windproof panel but only when its near zero and windy. 30s is barely tights weather..
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Penis During Winter Run [EJOTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2 on the sock...also known as a Unit heater!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had this problem as well when I lived in Vermont. The windproof underwear works well, but I've also found that a simple position shift can be effective too. Sometimes I would get really cold in a "tip forward" position, then be fine after adjusting to a more vertical position.

Or you can just forget all that and move to a place (western Washington, in my case), where 40 is considered cold and 2 inches of snow is reason to shut down the city. :)

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running shorts under the tights.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hahahaha...this brings back memories of my first year of tris. I had bought my P2K in December and we had an unusual warm spell where I lived so all the snow was melted off the roads so I decided to go for a bike ride. The day I went it was really cold though but I figured since the roads were dry I was good. So I put my bike shorts on and then some flimsy tights on over top. I was about 30 minutes away from home when I literally couldn't feel my junk anymore. It was SOOOOOO cold. Even when I stuck my hands down my pants it was brutal. So I turn around to head back home and realize I am going into the wind. I was so worried I was going to have frostbite and lose all my goodies. It took about 12 hours for them to warm up.
Since that day, I go out with WAY too many clothes on. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Penis During Winter Run [JChi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If you're having this problem with temps in the 30s, you may have a circulation problem...consider visiting a doc. I wear running underwear with a windproof panel but only when its near zero and windy. 30s is barely tights weather..

It seemed implied that the OP was not from a cold-weather climate, you acclimate to cold weather in much the same way that you acclimate to hot weather I imagine. Running in the 'cold' for him was probably more of a shock to his system than it was for someone who is used to it, thus his body probably drew more blood from 'extremities' to keep his core temp up than it likely would from someone who is used to the weather.

I know I've been running a lot in the 30s and 40s and it still feels cold to me, but if we had a day where it was in the 30s or 40s like in January or Feb after I've already acclimated to the cold I'd be out in shorts and flip flops like it was the tropics.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Penis During Winter Run [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"The ones that are like Basketball shorts? Yeah, I have a pair on right now. They are my PJ's when I travel. Guess what? None of my runshorts have liners in them. I run with trishorts under all my shorts. I even surf with them under my surftrunks."

I second that opinion. Wear the trishorts under the run shorts. Contains and insulates your junk!

"The runner-up John Dunbar, a US Navy Seal, led after the second transition and had a chance to win but ran out of water on the marathon course; his support crew resorted to giving him beer instead." -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironman_Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this is the right thread but think this is what happened on my run on Sat morning. Does this junk freezing thing feel like its burning? I stopped and immediately covered my junk with hands to warm it up and was fine after that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My shelties have this problem. They're low to the ground so when we hit snow on the run, they pretty much bury their junk in the snow. It's all fun and games until you frostbite the penis.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Penis During Winter Run [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To enjoyed this feeling during a mid-December reverse sprint. When I hit the water the fun really started. Fortunately only lasted four or five minutes
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Penis During Winter Run [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:
In Reply To:

It seemed implied that the OP was not from a cold-weather climate, you acclimate to cold weather in much the same way that you acclimate to hot weather I imagine. Running in the 'cold' for him was probably more of a shock to his system than it was for someone who is used to it, thus his body probably drew more blood from 'extremities' to keep his core temp up than it likely would from someone who is used to the weather.

I know I've been running a lot in the 30s and 40s and it still feels cold to me, but if we had a day where it was in the 30s or 40s like in January or Feb after I've already acclimated to the cold I'd be out in shorts and flip flops like it was the tropics.

Yup. Totally agree. Below 23F or -5C is about the point where I stop wearing shorts when I'm running. I'm just not a fan of run tights but I'll wear them between 20F and 0F, any cooler than that and I'll hop on the trainer instead.

Anyways, at 30F, nothing is "freezing" and you won't get frostbite/frostnip but you can definitely be cold. In the summer here in Canada if we have an unseasonably cold day and it drops down to the 40's or 50's in the evening it feels pretty darn cold. But after spending a couple weeks around -10F in the winter, at 40F you'll see shorts and shirts on the run paths, and a few patios open for beers.

It's all about what you're used to. In Canada and northern states you can have two people running side by side, one in tights+jacket+gloves+toque, the other in shorts and a long sleeve shirt.

Raf
http://www.shutuplegs.org
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Penis During Winter Run [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Loose and layer, once the balls go it is over, just saying
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Penis During Winter Run [usmultisport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Way over thinking this, fellas...

His hands are warm, his balls are cold... Problem solved...
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Penis During Winter Run [Chokebait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heatfactory handwarmer + pringle can
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My willy is never chilly?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wool sock over your junk if you don't want to spring for the Craft undies, although those are amazing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next