Re: Zwift article in WSJ [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This link seems to work:

https://www.wsj.com/...?tesla=y&tesla=y

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift article in WSJ [Bypasskid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't read the article, not a subscriber. But I can attest to the addictive nature of Zwift. I bounce back between that and trainer road.

“The answer is hard work. What are you doing on Christmas Eve? Are you riding your bike? January 1st – are you riding your bike?”- Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift article in WSJ [ChrisBorgerding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisBorgerding wrote:
I can't read the article, not a subscriber. But I can attest to the addictive nature of Zwift. I bounce back between that and trainer road.

I went through an addiction stage, but I'm over it now. Thinking of letting my subscription lapse.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift article in WSJ [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zwift was fun for a week for me... Trainerroad is my go-to throughout the entire season. I don't really get on the trainer to enjoy myself, though.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://archive.is/riSr2
Last edited by: Sausagetail: Apr 14, 17 8:27
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift article in WSJ [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sausagetail wrote:

you are the real MVP

“The answer is hard work. What are you doing on Christmas Eve? Are you riding your bike? January 1st – are you riding your bike?”- Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisBorgerding wrote:
Sausagetail wrote:

you are the real MVP

Jesus Christ. This isnt reddit.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift article in WSJ [Old97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old97 wrote:
ChrisBorgerding wrote:
Sausagetail wrote:

you are the real MVP

Jesus Christ. This isnt reddit.

hardooooo

Quote Reply
Re: Zwift article in WSJ [Bypasskid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone I know who spent their winter on zwift became a worse rider -without exception. Never built up a good aerobic base and screwed up the tempo and rhythm of every outdoors group ride they came out on. horrible.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift article in WSJ [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carlosflanders wrote:
Everyone I know who spent their winter on zwift became a worse rider -without exception. Never built up a good aerobic base and screwed up the tempo and rhythm of every outdoors group ride they came out on. horrible.

What a silly statement. Just being on zwift doesnt say anything towards the type of training someone does.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift article in WSJ [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is based on experience. Riders I've known for years went on zwift and became worse. The guys who spent time on zwift were the ones who messed up the group rides.

Zwift rides and races encourage a certain type of riding and it's horrible training. Need to be very disciplined not to get caught up in it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
carlosflanders wrote:
This is based on experience. Riders I've known for years went on zwift and became worse. The guys who spent time on zwift were the ones who messed up the group rides.

Zwift rides and races encourage a certain type of riding and it's horrible training. Need to be very disciplined not to get caught up in it.

Someone needs to tell that to Matt Hayman... http://zwift.com/...ffect/mathew-hayman/

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
carlosflanders wrote:

really?

I lost 20lbs and I am at best on the bike right now.

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift article in WSJ [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
carlosflanders wrote:

Someone needs to tell that to Matt Hayman... http://zwift.com/...ffect/mathew-hayman/

Matt who?

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you in a place where riding outdoors year-round is possible without much cold weather gear?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
carlosflanders wrote:

That's so weird!! Everyone I know who rides outside for the summer were the ones that messed up the Zwift rides all winter!

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift article in WSJ [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cold but dry. Can ride most weekends.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift article in WSJ [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Touche/!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you mean their handling skills were worse when they returned to the group rides?

The trainer is extremely effective, not sure how they came back as "worse riders"? Maybe you mean they are riding like D***'s now and attacking and pulling through to hard? If that is the case I wouldn't call that a "Zwift Problem", I would call that a personality problem.

Think you are reaching pretty far to say that ZWIFT made them worse riders, if you are talking about the shape they are in. That comes down to the kind of training they did, not the virtual environment they were training in.

And x2 on go read the link that Jordan posted, that story/video is an amazing testimonial to the power of Zwift.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift article in WSJ [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is Zwift a trend/fad? Do they release subscription data?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift article in WSJ [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can tell you that seemingly every time I'm on there at least 700-1000 other people are riding at the same time. I doubt all of them wait for me to hop on before connecting so they must have a good amount of people.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift article in WSJ [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zwift encourages a certain type of riding. It's the nature of the game. Everytime I've been on there I've gone way harder than I planned.

Takes a lot of discipline to do structured intervals on Zwift and not get caught up in the game.

My club does a very well-thought out structured winter training program in a computrainer studio. Last year a half-dozen of the regulars decided to stay at home and ride zwift instead. They didn't do structured training.

All got slower and fatter. All raced less and with poor results and several stopped altogether. Group rides got disruptive and started to resemble a zwift race.. Seen plenty of riders get better from Trainer Road and Training peaks plans but not Zwift.

The Mat Hayman story is well known. I think 15 or so Roubaixs, a strict disciplined approach, a coach and training plan plus getting in the break has a lot more to do with his success. Zwift saved him from boredom and enabled him to spend the 20+ hours a week on the trainer that he needed.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift article in WSJ [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:
Is Zwift a trend/fad? Do they release subscription data?

Maybe a bit of both, but I doubt it's going anywhere, and I bet it'll mature into a mainstay of endurance training. And they seem to have a good revenue model Getting subscription fees as well as advertising fees. I assume that Specialized, Zipp, GCN, Trek-Segafredo, etc, all paid for their presence. And I've wondered if the Virginia Tourism Board or whatever paid for the "Virginia is For Lovers" signs on the Virginia Worlds course.

The Hayman story is good, but the Leah Thorvilson story (winner of the Zwift Academy pro contract) doesn't seem to be going nearly as well. So far 3 DNFs and a back-of-the-pack finish out of 4 starts. I'm cheering for her. It's a good story. But it just seems insane to me. Throwing what's effectively a Cat 4 racer, no matter how physically talented, into the Belgian UCI race scene against women who've been racing since they were 12, etc. Just brutality. I hate to 2nd guess Canyon-SRAM. Maybe they know what they're doing, and being thrown into the deep end will turn out well for her. But if I were DS I'd have had her racing domestic P12 races to learn racing against manageable competition, then joining the team at the Tour of California or something like that.....
Quote Reply