Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp hub recall... check your wheels today!
Quote | Reply
I crashed last Wednesday while doing 30-40mph on a fast decent/curve... hit a fence post, cedar tree, barbed wire and American wire fence. To top it off there were rose bushes so I had thorns in my arms and back, tore me up "pretty good". Fractured some stuff in my back and I have some very large contusions on my lower back. I can't remember much other than just losing the front end of my bike and seeing a fence post from a few inches away.

Recovery is going okay, still waking up with a head ache each day... so I really shouldn't be on my laptop. Thankfully pain is much better and I'm only on Ibuprofen now. Trying to rest and recover my brain, first PT is today.

So I'll cut to the chase... if you have Zipp wheels sold/made in the May 2010 to January 2015 range, please check them today and get them fixed by your local Zipp/SRAM rep if they fall under the recall. Pass this on to your friends that might not read this or know this... I know I will.

http://www.zipp.com/...tice%203_16_2016.pdf
Last edited by: xeon: Mar 7, 17 4:18
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp hub recall... check your wheels today! [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still have never seen a broken front in the wild, but have seen 3 broken rears.
Just like Mavic breakum rear rims, seems recalls are not required on rear wheels because if your rear wheel breaks at 80 KMH down a hill into a corner the crash will be more fun than the front wheel breaking.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp hub recall... check your wheels today! [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have seen one in the wild. Fortunately was going up hill fairly slowly.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp hub recall... check your wheels today! [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That same thing happened to me on an older 404 also. I was going about 20mph on a flat but was able to get stopped without crashing.

Reminds me to have my 303's sent in for updates.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp hub recall... check your wheels today! [ChrisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had an older hub on my front Zip 404 literally "pop" while I was on my bike. Fortunately I was on my trainer. Posted a thread with photos last year. The particular hub I had was not part of the many recalls Zip has had for hub issues. Wishing the OP of this thread a speedy recovery.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp hub recall... check your wheels today! [TRIing2Run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the ring break as well. Took into the bike shop to have it sent in. While there if fell over and literally shattered. All the spokes popped away from the hub. I can't imagine what would have happened if I was riding it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up -- looking at my wheel, it appears to have the hub that falls under recall. :( So... does that mean the rear wheel should still be ok, or just that they're not required to replace it??
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp hub recall... check your wheels today! [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rear wheel is not part of the recall only the front wheel. Glad to see this reaching a few that didn't know about it or needed a reminder to get their wheel fixed. Don't wait for it to fail!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sent my front in for the recall, My rim was the older 404 with aluminum brake surface. Upon arrival SRAM/Zipp let me know this: "This rim has spoke hole collapse and will need to be replaced. We no longer make the hybrid rim therefore we can replace with a 404 carbon clincher at no charge. You can send in the rear wheel for a carbon clincher rim to be built onto the rear hub for a matching set, also no charge. Or you can upgrade the rear hub to a V9 silver 11s hub for $200."

I sent the rear in right away (they covered shipping both ways) and they ended up swapping the rear to the new hub for free after the front arrived with a ding in the brake track. They also replaced the front that had the ding in it with a next day air replacement. Good service all around.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp hub recall... check your wheels today! [kppolich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kppolich wrote:
Sent my front in for the recall, My rim was the older 404 with aluminum brake surface. Upon arrival SRAM/Zipp let me know this: "This rim has spoke hole collapse and will need to be replaced. We no longer make the hybrid rim therefore we can replace with a 404 carbon clincher at no charge. You can send in the rear wheel for a carbon clincher rim to be built onto the rear hub for a matching set, also no charge. Or you can upgrade the rear hub to a V9 silver 11s hub for $200."

I sent the rear in right away (they covered shipping both ways) and they ended up swapping the rear to the new hub for free after the front arrived with a ding in the brake track. They also replaced the front that had the ding in it with a next day air replacement. Good service all around.
For sure that is excellent customer service!

I'll say it again, to anyone that isn't aware of the recall... if you have Zipps check the recall I linked and your front wheel. As some have attested to, it can fail... I just happened to be in a fast descent going around a curve.

My painful PSA.
Quote Reply