cheap compared with the USE R1!
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Vuka Stealth [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea tell me about it...I dont think anything labeled "Zipp" comes cheap
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Vuka Stealth [JPDMD25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looks like the bar Rappster used in Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Vuka Stealth [Fork-Um] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fork-Um wrote:

It *is* the bar I used in Kona. With a slight bit more refinement and polish to it. Fire away with questions (though we'll have an article coming...).

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JPDMD25 wrote:
The new Zipp chinese wheels they will be offering this year are fairly cheap...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With so many of the new high end bikes having integrated stems isnt this hard to market to the that same user group? Or can most super bikes be modified to accept a conventional stem?

(*obviously the Shiv can if Rapp ran this in Kona)
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Vuka Stealth [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
JPDMD25 wrote:
The new Zipp chinese wheels they will be offering this year are fairly cheap...

Except there aren't, technically, any "Chinese wheels." The new Zipp 30s use rims that - like the 101 - are extruded and machined overseas, but the final wheels are going to be built in a mix of that Chinese (or Taiwanese; I can't remember which) factory as well as Zipp's Indianapolis factory as well as SRAM's European factory in Portugal. The 30s also have a unique hubset that's designed to be simpler and more maintenance free (though also less precisely "tunable" than the 88/188) which I'm pretty sure will be made in Taiwan/China, though I don't know if they might also make hubs in Indy/Portugal as well depending on demand. And spokes on all wheels are still Sapim CX Ray with Sapim locking nipples. Not sure if the 30s use same Swiss bearings.

As far as the target market for this bar, it's not so much the current generation of totally integrated superbikes (though a fair number CAN actually be used with the bar - the Shiv without any changes, the P5 with the three fork, the Trek Speed Concept with steerer stub to name several). It's more of an upgrade for folks who have a high end bike from a prior generation that want to upgrade (or change their fit). If you have a P3, Equinox TTX, Slice, or any number of the great - and still very fast bikes - with standard steerers, this bar is a fast upgrade as well as a bar that offers you a ton of fit options if you want to tweak your fit.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They look ugly compared to the Vuka Aero, can't stand Garmin mounts that make you dip your head, they need to be further out or attached to the aero extensions.

Looking at the clamps there's no effort there to make the aero, just my opinion.

If you are sure you will fail, or convinced you will succeed, you are probably right.....
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Vuka Stealth [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Fork-Um wrote:

It *is* the bar I used in Kona. With a slight bit more refinement and polish to it. Fire away with questions (though we'll have an article coming...).

Is there any aero data?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Vuka Stealth [Crash Master] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the Garmin mount removable? Is there one for either either a ForeRunner or an Edge?

(Really love that aftermarket mount you can buy with the 1/8th turn that lets you use either on the same mount. What a great idea. I just bought one, actually.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Vuka Stealth [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got several of these mounts for my road bike and they are ace, but for TT's you need to stay in the aero position and this mount doesn't make sense.

If you are sure you will fail, or convinced you will succeed, you are probably right.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crash Master wrote:
Got several of these mounts for my road bike and they are ace, but for TT's you need to stay in the aero position and this mount doesn't make sense.

Depends on your position. If you ride with a low head position and not upright it is a simple matter of looking down. You shouldn't have to dip your head. The problem I'd have with it, and I'm not going to buy these bars anyway, is that the garmin would be right under my bottle.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crash Master wrote:

When you say "this mount" above (emphasis added) are you still referring to the aftermarket, clamp-on, 1/8 turn mounts or do you now mean the Zipp one?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Vuka Stealth [Zoom_zoom_Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People with the disposable income to purchase a $1000+ aerobar aren't likely to use a previous generation bike without an integrated cockpit.

People with well-fitting integrated cockpits are unlikely to see the need to make the switch from one integrated aerobar to another integrated aerobar (zero gain).

With the exception of a few oddly proportioned people at either end of the bell curve, there is probably a bike out there that will fit well without a $1000 upgrade.

It looks pretty slick, but I am not seeing a rational market for this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boy would I be thrilled if one of these super aerobars came out and actually had a low stack....
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Vuka Stealth [Nick_Barkley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick_Barkley wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
Fork-Um wrote:

Is there any aero data?

Yes, there is aero data, tested against the Vuka aero. It is as fast as the VukaAero with an SL145 stem. That same configuration beats every bar they've tested it against except the first edition Ventus (with the tiny brake levers), but it does beat the Ventus 2 with "standard" brake levers.

That said, I don't really like the idea of giving hard data on this bar because it is so configurable. Yes, the risers are very aero, but a 50mm tower is still going to be less aero than the 10mm tower. And whether you choose to run the garmin mount or not will affect how aero it is (somewhat). Etc, etc.

So, it's as fast - aerodynamically - as pretty much anything else out there. But there is more variance, especially with an adjustable bar, that I'm sure you can come up with configurations of bar X that are faster than Vuka Stealth in configuration Y.

PS: yes, the Garmin mount is removable.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
That said, I don't really like the idea of giving hard data on this bar because it is so configurable. Yes, the risers are very aero, but a 50mm tower is still going to be less aero than the 10mm tower. And whether you choose to run the garmin mount or not will affect how aero it is (somewhat). Etc, etc.

Probably not for you to answer but something I always wonder when its claimed about the aduro bar. How can the aduro in the tall/high V version be just as aero as the lowest with nearly no stack? Or am I mistaken and thats never been the claim (pretty sure it has though)?

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that with arms present or alone?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Vuka Stealth [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 If you think of it in terms of identical rider position, which means the "low" config plus a big stack of stem spacers, it starts to make more sense.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm attempting to figure out the lowest arm pad stack available on this bar without putting the extension clamps under the base bar. Perhaps I'm dumb but has this information been released? Press photos make it look ~40mm. Can you provide any info here Jordan?

edit: well this answers my question
http://www.zipp.com/...V-B-Vuka-Stealth.pdf
http://www.zipp.com/...bility%20Summary.png
Last edited by: notaero: Feb 14, 13 8:09
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Vuka Stealth [notaero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You cannot mount the clamps under the basebar, so that's a bit redundant. I don't think stack from the basebar is really the measurement you want anyway. You want overall stack (you can't change stems).

So this is really what I would think would be the most useful:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that solidworks shot does clear it up.
Quote Reply

Prev Next