Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Tubular vs Clincher
Quote | Reply
I can get a good deal on some 2002 Zipp 404 clinchers but was wondering if the 200/300 gram weight difference between the tubulars is that big of a deal. We were talking about this during a ride today and by using some dietary discretion would add up to even greater weight savings.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Tubular vs Clincher [mb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My slant on this is that "clincher race wheels" is an oxymoron. Tubulars offer such substantial performance benefits that, even though clinchers are much, much better than they were years ago, tubulars will always be better. Here's what I mean specifically:
1. Tubular tire/glue/rim weight, taken as a whole, is always lighter than clinchers (tire/rimstrip/innertube/rim) at the outer circumfrence of the rim, where it matters most.
2. Tubular tires flex and deform more readily than a more rigid clincher since then are unencumbered by the rigid clincher sidewall of the rim. This affords better traction and superior ride comfort even at higher tire pressures (I ride my tubulars no higher than 120psi though, even though they often have the capability to go to 170 psi).
3. Intelligently selected tubulars are generally substantially more flat resistant than clinchers- both to punctures and pinch flats.
4. Changing a flat in a race environment (in the unlikely chance you get one) is much faster with tubulars. I can change a tubular in under three minutes, but it takes over five minutes for me to change a clincher- more if I accidentally pinch the tube on installation.
The drawbacks:
1.Tubulars are more expensive (generally) than clinchers since, once you flat a tubular, you have to replace the tire as a whole (as opposed to just putting a $4 inner tube in a clincher). Although some people claim they can "repair" tubulars the results are usually a compromise at best.
2.You will need to familiarize yourself with the technique of gluing tubulars. This process has become "mystified" to ridiculous proportions. It is actually simple, but you need to learn it. Any good tri shop should teach the technique. We hold several classes a year here at Bikesport, Inc. to teach how to install, service and maintain tubulars. I hope that is some service! Good luck and Happy New Year!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Tubular vs Clincher [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would pay to watch a video of one of your classes on tubular gluing and changing (especially under race conditions). Ever consider shooting video and throwing it up on the web? (For a fee, of course.)

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Tubular vs Clincher [aduncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, interesting concept. We never charge for the classes here in the store. Probably part of the reason I'm still driving a dented up old Subaru (but I have a cool store and a lot of hot bikes!).

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Changing a tubular tyre... [aduncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bunny has a fairly long and in-depth article on howto change a tubular tyre. It should be somewhere on this site (I'll look and post) It ain't a video, but it is free. ;)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Tubular vs Clincher [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's more to life than fancy cars...like fancy bikes!

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply
Not Bunny's howto, but still... [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the most in-depth howto re: tubular tyres I've ever stumbled across:

http://www.engr.ukans.edu/...bicycle/bicycle.html

:)

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Hot cars... [aduncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You ever try to get your bike and all the requisite race/post-race gear into that Porsche 356 Speedster? Lemme tell ya, the Subaru kicks ass as a race vehicle.

Uhhhh... yeah... That's why I don't own one. :)

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply