Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Tangente Speed Clincher - anyone have impressions?
Quote | Reply
I am curious if anyone has these yet, has ridden them, and are willing to share their thoughts.

I am considering them as a replacement to continental gp 4000s tires.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Tangente Speed Clincher - anyone have impressions? [Orbilius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Tangente Speed Clincher - anyone have impressions? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is the article that got my interest. Just curious if anyone has given these a go yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Tangente Speed Clincher - anyone have impressions? [Orbilius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering of trying the new tangente tubulars for next season if they get good reviews. Seems promising.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've ridden the Course in 23mm for the past 3 months. Speed (subjective) and durability are on par with my tried and true GP4000S. The sidewalls line up a bit better with my Firecrest 808s than the 23mm GP4000s did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went ahead and ordered these myself. They are thin and supple feeling. They remind me of the old Specialized Mondo Open Corsa Evos. Looking forward to riding them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't taken them out on the road yet, but I just picked up 23 & 25 Tangente Speed clinchers. Hoping to use them as my front and rear racing tires this season. Initial impression is favorable, they are very supple. The 23 weighs 183 grams and measures 23 mm wide mounted on my 404 Zipp FC. The 25 weighs 189 grams and measures 24 mm wide on the same wheel. By comparison, on the same wheel a Vittoria triathlon 22 measures 22.5 mm and a Vittoria Evo slick measures 24.5mm. I have a GP4000s mounted to a different wheel, I didn't dismount it to get an exact comparison but it measures 24.5 on a different, narrower rim. The 23 certainly looks reasonably aero to my untrained eyeball, the 25 a bit less so but it should be fine for the rear wheel. They both mounted very easily on the Zipp wheel but that's been true of all tires on this wheel (wish all manufacturers would realize that having a deep well in the middle makes mounting much easier and doesn't make the tire any easier to blow off).

I folded the tires over and measured the doubled thickness with an engineer's caliper (this would be pretty hard to do with a stiff, thick tire). The sidewall is very thin, I measured it at .050" (remember, that's the doubled thickness). The doubled center tread measured 0.180". By comparison, the Vittoria Evo slick sidewall measures .055" and center tread measures .158 (has several hundred miles on it). The Vittoria triathlon measures .105" at the sidewall and .145" at the tread. I didn't measure the GP4000s and it's got quite a few miles on it, but I know the tread at the center is quite a bit thicker than any of these tires. I'll do some simple testing on the rollers w/ my Quark, not nearly as scientific as Tom A. but enough to get the general idea as to how they compare with my other tires.

A little bit concerned about the fragility of the sidewalls so only planning to use these as race-only tires, but the thickness under the tread is probably more important. Probably won't have the tires out on the road for a couple of months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the 25mm Course on my 404 FC's (I have the speeds to buy havent ridden them yet). I will say they "look" very aero, measuring 24.7mm inflated to 100 psi. The ride is nice, they feel fast. I expect the speed versions to be even more supple. I feel as though the handling is a bit squirmy. I was windy yesterday when I took them out so take that into account, but I wonder if the construction is similar to the Vittoria Radiale. I read Tom As article and he states that the construction is different, but i wonder. I'd be interested to hear others thoughts who have have more knowledge of tire construction...ply direction etc...
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Tangente Speed Clincher - anyone have impressions? [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the chance to mount and measure the tire today as compared to a well used Conti GP4000s. Both are mounted on my light-bicycle u45 rims which have similar internal and external dimensions as the firecrest 303.

Sorry for the bad pics. Digital caliper batteries were dying at the time of the pics. Stated measurements were done with a fresh battery.

Conti Gp4000s measures 25.2mm width on the rim. No doubt it has stretched.

We all know Conti's are tall. Here it is on my S5 - very little room in the cutout.

Here is the 23c Zipp Tangente Speed clincher. It measures 23.2mm On this same rim the 22c Continental Attack measures 23.4mm. From memory, these are very similar in dimensions to the Vittoria Triathlon Evos I tried out awhile back.

Here is the wheel cutout with the Zipp - much more room.

Lastly, bike pic - the white zipp logos are prominent.

Last edited by: Orbilius: Jan 25, 15 19:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They roll good.They cut easy.
Quote Reply