Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Super 9 disc out of true?
Quote | Reply
What is the acceptable lateral runout on a Zipp Super CC disc wheel? Mine seems to have about 3mm of lateral movement. Looks like a lot in the bike...way more than I would accept on a spoked wheel. Trying to decide if I should try and warranty the wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Super 9 disc out of true? [chobbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know HED limits its trispokes to 0.030" (0.76mm). 3mm seems like a lot.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: Mar 28, 15 9:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chobbs wrote:
What is the acceptable lateral runout on a Zipp Super CC disc wheel? Mine seems to have about 3mm of lateral movement. Looks like a lot in the bike...way more than I would accept on a spoked wheel. Trying to decide if I should try and warranty the wheel.

Take it to a bike shop and have it put in a wheel stand to get an accurate number. Once you know for sure what the runout is, then you can contact Zipp tech support.

Bear in mind that the dropouts on frames can also have a poor tolerance and can affect the perceived runout if you are looking at it in a frame.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Super 9 disc out of true? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did that today. It looks really bad in a bike, but on the stand it is better. Hard for me to measure precisely because it has movement off center in both directions. I tried to get a video, but the tire got in the way. I think I will remove the tire and shoot a video with a ruler on the truing stand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most shops will have a dial gage on their truing stand, which is easy to video.

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First check to see that the hub is secure. Then confirm it is out of true and send it to Zipp. I believe they reheat the whole wheel in order to re-true it.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Super 9 disc out of true? [masa757] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
masa757 wrote:
First check to see that the hub is secure. Then confirm it is out of true and send it to Zipp. I believe they reheat the whole wheel in order to re-true it.

I believe this as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Super 9 disc out of true? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
I know HED limits its trispokes to 0.30" (0.76mm). 3mm seems like a lot.

I could not find the tolerances listed on the HED website but 0.30" = 7.6mm...
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Super 9 disc out of true? [High-Five_Bro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
High-Five_Bro wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:
I know HED limits its trispokes to 0.30" (0.76mm). 3mm seems like a lot.

I could not find the tolerances listed on the HED website but 0.30" = 7.6mm...

My typo, it's 0.030", so less than 1mm.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it hit your brake pads? Reason i ask is that i have a 900 disc that is out of true by a similar amount I think. Zipp charges $60 per hour I believe to re-heat it / straighten. But it could take up to 4 hours to fix it, ($240) plus cost of shipping both ways - I just live with it. doesnt make me any slower I dont think and for me it was not worth the $$ to fix it. but a Super 9 CC is worth a lot more than my 900 so maybe worth it to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Super 9 disc out of true? [bullshark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have only ridden the wheel once, so I think I can warranty it if it is out of spec. I can ride it without hitting the pads if I set them wide enough, but for what the wheel costs, I expect better.
Quote Reply