Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 900 Clincher disc-tube/tire?
Quote | Reply
Looking at purchasing Zipp 900 Clincher Disc. Disc has aluminum braking surface. What is the recommended valve stem length for use with that disc? Anyone have specific recommendations for tube and tire set up? Thanks
Randy

Randy
http://www.gulfcoasttriteam.com
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 900 Clincher disc-tube/tire? [slornow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a solid tube option

http://www.worldclasscycles.com/...mp;Category_Code=LTI

Good tire in 700x23 or slightly narrower if you prefer

http://www.worldclasscycles.com/...mp;Category_Code=CTK
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 900 Clincher disc-tube/tire? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
This is a solid tube option

http://www.worldclasscycles.com/...mp;Category_Code=LTI

The stem of that tube is too long to fit in an unmodified 900. I believe the only option for a latex tube is the Michelin Aircomp with 36mm stem.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 900 Clincher disc-tube/tire? [dano-oly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wondered about that, thanks for clarifying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i wouldn't go more narrow than a 23cm tire. Getting more narrow than that will just increase the possibility of a puncture and you weill wear out the tire a lot quicker. The best bang for your buck is a 23cm tire. Challenge makes a great clincher that is built and rides like a tubular. It is light and a great all-around tire. not too expensive either. http://www.competitivecyclist.com/...-Tire-5329.39.1.html
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 900 Clincher disc-tube/tire? [Nasta81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you want to throw 2w rolling resistance away vs an bonty R4 aero, not to mention the aero part
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 900 Clincher disc-tube/tire? [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What valve stem length should I use?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
32mm stem if you are using a butyl tube. I used a 36mm valve (it was the shortest valve on a latex tube I could find), it worked but it was kind of a pain to get air in the tires. Definitely go with a 32mm butyl as your spare if you do decide to go with latex.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 900 Clincher disc-tube/tire? [stickboy1125] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you recommend a tube (brand) with a 32mm stem? I'm having trouble finding one.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 900 Clincher disc-tube/tire? [Carlton Bale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Q-Tubes, go to your local shop and ask them, I'm sure they can order some for you if they don't stock them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stickboy1125 wrote:
Definitely go with a 32mm butyl as your spare if you do decide to go with latex.

If you run a deep rim front and only want to carry one spare tube, make sure you bring a valve extender. I see that Zipp makes a 74 mm and that should suffice. I better go check what I have before next weekend's race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I just ordered the "Q-Tubes Super Light 700c x 23-25mm 32mm PRESTA Valve Tube" from Amazon (BikeZilla)

I also ordered both the Standard (43mm) and XL (75mm) "Topeak Presta Valve Extender" to adapt the spare tube to my SRAM S60 front wheel. I think the 43mm would be fine, but wasn't positive and ordered both. I got the Topeak adapter because it doesn't require removing the core from the stem, so it should make it easier to deploy the spare for either the 900 rear disc or 60mm front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so much for free rr watts :(

unless that is only for the spare and you still plan to use latex for racing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
if you want to throw 2w rolling resistance away vs an bonty R4 aero, not to mention the aero part

I've used a Bontrager R4 aero on my 900 clincher but it is virtually impossible to seat the bead without a lever. I was looking to try something different, any suggestions anyone? FWIW the R4 is 22mm wide so maybe something in 23mm?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 900 Clincher disc-tube/tire? [Chris Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Continental Grand Prix 4000S Clincher Road (700x23c) with no complaints/issues. A slowtwitch comparison/article gave it extremely high marks for rolling resistance and durability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carlton Bale wrote:
I use Continental Grand Prix 4000S Clincher Road (700x23c) with no complaints/issues. A slowtwitch comparison/article gave it extremely high marks for rolling resistance and durability.

I've got one of these on the disc now. It's about the same as far as installation goes compared to the Bontrager.

I'm also looking for a 32mm valve latex tube with removable core but I don't think it exists.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris Martin wrote:
I've used a Bontrager R4 aero on my 900 clincher but it is virtually impossible to seat the bead without a lever. I was looking to try something different, any suggestions anyone? FWIW the R4 is 22mm wide so maybe something in 23mm?

interesting. The R4 is about the easiest tire I've ever mounted (on a 808/Super 9, 2 different tire batches), so much so that I was worried whether it would seat properly.

(also I think the R4 is more like 24mm ... have not measured but it does not look like 22)
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 900 Clincher disc-tube/tire? [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:
Chris Martin wrote:

interesting. The R4 is about the easiest tire I've ever mounted (on a 808/Super 9, 2 different tire batches), so much so that I was worried whether it would seat properly.

(also I think the R4 is more like 24mm ... have not measured but it does not look like 22)

The R4s I have are 22mm and you need gorilla thumbs or a lever to install them on the 900. They do go on easily with the 404 and 808.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is that and R4 or an R4 aero? the aero IME is like Brian states
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
is that and R4 or an R4 aero? the aero IME is like Brian states
On a 900 disc? The old kind with alu brake track?

I have a new R4 aero in the package and one on my front 404 so I can only assume the one I had so much trouble with was an aero as well but I'm not 100% certain. It got cut on a railroad crossing and was trashed. I never had an issue with them on my 808. I did get some as gifts once so it's possible they were not the aero version. Thanks for the tip.

FWIW the GP4000s isn't any easier to install on the disc than the bontrager.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A dremel will help accommodate longer valves. I purchased mine used from the classifieds here and the previous owner had done this. Makes it easy to carry one tube that works on both my disc and H3 front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update: I installed the R4 Aero onto the disc and it went on much more easily than the GP4000S or the previous tire I had on it (which must have been an R4, not an R4 Aero as you guys pointed out). I'm using a Q Tubes lightweight butyl tube with a 32mm valve and removable core so I can run sealant. I could not locate a latex tube with a 32mm stem and removable core.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 900 Clincher disc-tube/tire? [rjrankin83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 900 Clincher disc-tube/tire? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used a Zipp 900 Clincher on my P4 for three years now. Also learned there is no latex tube available with the required 32mm stem so I've also used the Q-Tube Lite Buytl with GP4000s and have had no issues. Unless Zipp has made the hole bigger in newer models you'll need to lengthen/widen the opening to avoid the good possibility of snapping off the stem. It's virtually impossible to get the crack pipe off without losing air and bending the stem.....a real design flaw. You don't need a "dremel".....Home Depot carries several sizes of small "cone shaped" discs (can't remember the specific name/term) that fit on a regular variable speed drill......cost about $4-5.
Quote Reply