Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 404 on aero road bike?
Quote | Reply
It certainly seem that aero road wheels are all the rage lately. I have a set of Zipp 404 clinchers from 2006 that are in perfect condition. What would keep me or someone else from using these as aero road wheels? I am considering selling them or maybe keeping them for an upgraded set of wheels on a new aero road bike if I ever pull the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 on aero road bike? [Crazy Legs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the 303 might be a bit more versatile, but honestly, i say go for it. everyone's riding more surface area these days, even on the road. and 404s of any vintage are sweet!

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if they are of an old V design rather than U shape, maybe handling issues in sidewinds. they may also be heavier if have a metal braking surface c/w all carbon but then again if they are all carbon the braking is never quite as good. personally given the extra cost of upgrading i'd use what you've got unless you're particularly nervy/picky about handling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've run 2013 Reynolds Strike 66 on my Felt AR at some point. Fast flat rides it's a good pairing. Sure they aren't the latest and greatest but they are better than some box trainers. My standard set is a 2013 Reynolds Assault 46 rim for reference.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All day, every day!

Zipp just announced a big price drop in the entire Firecrest CC line - $2100 MSRP. So if it's in your budget I'd go with a brand new set - better shape, all carbon, lighter, better hub, etc. That's still an $1800 decision though compared to just keeping what you have. Another option is to pick up a lightly used set of Firecrest CCs. They typically go for %1400 but with the new pricing just announced you should be able to grab them for $1000-1200 within a month or so once people accept that reality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just keep them. They are paid for. Still a good set of wheels. If you have money sitting around that you don't know what to do with, then buy the latest and greatest. But I woild just use them and enjoy them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I daily ride 404s (with aluminum track) on my S2. Works fine. Going from shallow aluminum wheels, it'll feel like your bike is a horse with ADD in a crosswind but it's no big deal.

Plus, you'll totally look pro...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run Flo 90's full time on my Felt AR road bike with an occasional swap to a Flo disc in the rear if I'm just riding up and down PCH. Doesn't give me any trouble whatsoever and everyone comments on how fast the bike looks which really is what it's all about.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 on aero road bike? [Shinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also leave my c.2010 404s with Aluminium brake track on my S2. I wish I got to ride it everyday...
I'm sure it's faster than the box rims in this configuration, but its impossible to separate this from the effect of the GP4000S 2's on the 404s vs the Gatorskins on the box rims...

Samuel Arthur Medway
Perth, Western Australia
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done it. Looked incredible. Go for it.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride my 404 FC's on my BMC TMR01..
Looks great, love the ride.
Keep your current 404's, and buy some new 404's when you can or while the sale is on.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 on aero road bike? [Blmgtnbkr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input. What about mountain riding and climbing? I have a set of Bontrager race lites that came with my road bike in 2007. Not sure what the weight difference would be. I guess I could weigh them. I have never really tried to climb with 404's on.
Quote Reply