Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 404 and a Rock
Quote | Reply
I bent my rim yesterday when I hit a rock at high speed. It is a Zipp 404 from about 2008. I do not have any paperwork (Proof of purchase). Does anyone know if Zipp offers crash replacement for a damaged wheel like this? It could tell them some great stories around the water fountain if the wanted it back! Ha ha!
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 and a Rock [Glockman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glockman wrote:
I bent my rim yesterday when I hit a rock at high speed. It is a Zipp 404 from about 2008. I do not have any paperwork (Proof of purchase). Does anyone know if Zipp offers crash replacement for a damaged wheel like this? It could tell them some great stories around the water fountain if the wanted it back! Ha ha!

I hate to be a dick about this but why ask ST when in the same amount of time you could have sent this in an email to Zipp or even called them?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 and a Rock [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought about that too but Slow Twitch is full of guys like me (plus or minus a few dicks....jk!) so I thought is would be worth seeing what experiences people had had with this. Zipp has been very good to me with wheel problems over the years so I don't even want to bother them if my request is out of line. I just thought it would be worth some discussion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carbon doesn't bend.

Is the wheel just out of true?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 and a Rock [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, the wheel still seems to be pretty true it just has a bulge in the rim which fractured the carbon just a tiny bit. The brakes make a "thump thump thump" sound. All the spokes are still tight (as far as I can tell).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The aluminum rim is bent and the carbon is cracked.

You might want to try to find a new rim and have it rebuilt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That rim is done. Check with Zipp about any crash replacement deal they can offer.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 and a Rock [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Carbon doesn't bend.

...since when does carbon fiber not bend?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 and a Rock [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When a 404 rim hits a rock and looks bent, it is actually fractured.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a near identical issue with my FLO front wheel. I hit some large rocks at about 30 MPH. The rim was bent, but the carbon fairing was in tact. Everyone said that the wheel was toast. I took it to my LBS & my guy was able to carefully bend the rim back & file down any sharp edges. The wheel spins true. That was over a year ago & I have ridden that wheel weekly since then.

Your situation is a bit different though because it looks like the damage extends into the fairing. Given the age of the wheel, I would agree that it's likely toast, but if you have a good LBS mechanic who knows his shit, have them take a look.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 and a Rock [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The carbon on a Flo wheel is not structural. The carbon on a 404 is. The OP's wheel is toast, and it would be extremely dangerous to try to ride it.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 and a Rock [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotcha. I assumed the 2008 404 with the aluminum rim was similar to the FLO. My mistake.
Quote Reply