Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 404 2016
Quote | Reply
LBS's starting to sell them for 'Fall savings' ($2100.) Are these really supposed to have superior braking that previous Zipps carbon clinchers? Does anyone have a set yet?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 2016 [ifp123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as I know, the only updates are the hubs. The Firestrike have the better brake track

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 2016 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they've also (quietly) gotten heavier over the years.

zipp is not being deceptive here in terms of not bringing it up, but they are not advertising it, that's for sure.

weights have steadily increased since MY2010. i think they no longer use sapim CX-Rays in their build (instead going with a cheaper, heavier sapim spoke) with this iteration.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 2016 [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new hub is a China made unit which uses a smaller star type extrusion. Less material to machine and lower cost. I cannot see them as being equally as aero with the paddles on the hub or as stiff as the full circle high flange hubs of the 2014 model.

Somehow it is Better than the older design but this is a constant with zipp as every version of everything is better.

I have some light bicycle rims built in nice wheels with dt hubs for half the cost and they are most likely about equal and tubeless compatible.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 2016 [ajh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajh wrote:
The new hub is a China made unit which uses a smaller star type extrusion. Less material to machine and lower cost. I cannot see them as being equally as aero with the paddles on the hub or as stiff as the full circle high flange hubs of the 2014 model.

Somehow it is Better than the older design but this is a constant with zipp as every version of everything is better.

I have some light bicycle rims built in nice wheels with dt hubs for half the cost and they are most likely about equal and tubeless compatible.

for full disclosure, i own lots of zipp wheels, as well as other brands.

every new thing EVERYONE makes is better than the older versions, of course.

honestly, there ARE some improvements, but there are also some drawbacks.

my newest zipp wheels happen to be 2015 303 (disc brakes, for cross), and the new hubs (which i *think* might be used in the road hubs now, too) are adaptable to thru-axle by changing the end caps. this is a nice feature. it's of minor use on the road now, but frame standards are on the move.

i'm still happy with my older zipps, going back to 2010.

a friend who had zipp clinchers took some advice this spring to get into tubulars and went with 303s. he was thrilled with them. i was doing some weight calculations with my own wheels later in the summer as i was replacing tires, and i realized my 2010 404s weighed LESS than a set of 2015 303s. that was a shocker, so i probed deeper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tetonrider wrote:

a friend who had zipp clinchers took some advice this spring to get into tubulars and went with 303s. he was thrilled with them. i was doing some weight calculations with my own wheels later in the summer as i was replacing tires, and i realized my 2010 404s weighed LESS than a set of 2015 303s. that was a shocker, so i probed deeper.

It's because they're so much wider.

I had a pair of older 404 tubulars that were in the mid 1200s. 303s were sub 1200g. Things were crazy light back in the 19mm rim width days.
Last edited by: pedalbiker: Oct 3, 15 7:59
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 2016 [pedalbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pedalbiker wrote:
tetonrider wrote:

It's because they're so much wider.

I had a pair of older 404 tubulars that were in the mid 1200s. 303s were sub 1200g. Things were crazy light back in the 19mm rim width days.

the 404 rim profile is basically unchanged since firecrest was introduced, so that's not it. they added spokes and changes the hubs...and then quietly changed the spokes, too.

i'm sorry to have sold my 10s (2011) 202s; i found a company that makes an 11s free hub for it, and it is meaningfully lighter than the current tubular version.

the big width change seemed to happen as the profiles shifted to firecrest...which was generally MY2010 + or -....at least that is when the 404CC was introduced (summer 2010).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"i'm sorry to have sold my 10s (2011) 202s; i found a company that makes an 11s free hub for it, and it is meaningfully lighter than the current tubular version. "

can you elaborate on this?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 2016 [ajh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice! another vote for light-bicycle rims. I have their U-45s and their U-90s. They are fantastic wheels. I have had FC404s and 808s, but didn't like the play in the hubs. It appears they have changed that issue in 2015-16 models. All this said, the Enve 6.7s are by far my favorite wheelset I own.

Another issues that I have notices with recent zipps is an oxidation of the top coat now that they decals are under the clear coat. Anyone else seeing this?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 2016 [Redog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Redog wrote:
"i'm sorry to have sold my 10s (2011) 202s; i found a company that makes an 11s free hub for it, and it is meaningfully lighter than the current tubular version. "

can you elaborate on this?

sure....let me look it up. basically there is a vendor selling an after-market 11s free hub. works great.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 2016 [Orbilius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Orbilius wrote:
Nice! another vote for light-bicycle rims. I have their U-45s and their U-90s. They are fantastic wheels. I have had FC404s and 808s, but didn't like the play in the hubs. It appears they have changed that issue in 2015-16 models. All this said, the Enve 6.7s are by far my favorite wheelset I own.

Another issues that I have notices with recent zipps is an oxidation of the top coat now that they decals are under the clear coat. Anyone else seeing this?

not sure why the "play" bothered everyone. there was no play when loaded, and removing any play (either to factory spec or to preference) was the matter of loosing a 2mm set screw then giving the end cap 1/8th of a turn.

recent zipps do NOT have decals under the clear-coat. that was the old ones (unless something has REALLY changed recently).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very interested, please let me know
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 2016 [Orbilius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Orbilius wrote:

So is the play and the cracking sounds when climbing for example normal?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 2016 [markko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never observed any cracking sound.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tetonrider wrote:
Orbilius wrote:

not sure why the "play" bothered everyone. there was no play when loaded, and removing any play (either to factory spec or to preference) was the matter of loosing a 2mm set screw then giving the end cap 1/8th of a turn.

recent zipps do NOT have decals under the clear-coat. that was the old ones (unless something has REALLY changed recently).

I completely agree...... Having 3 sets of Zipp wheels I have no issues. Basic maintenance and cleaning and off I go.
Last edited by: Jimster: Oct 4, 15 13:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x2 on details for after market hubs.
Quote Reply