Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Your input is appreciated: Road bike position recommendation for a casual rider
Quote | Reply
Dear Slowtwitchers,
My friend is a casual bike rider who rides 2 or 3 times a week on average for 1H30 each time. His primary goal is comfort and enjoyment.
After about 1h30, he starts to experience discomfort at the seat bones.
My initial thought is to lengthen his existing reach in order to equalize his weight distribution between handlebar and seat. He noticeably has a relatively shorter inseam compared to his torso for a 6ft2 guy.

What are your thoughts on improving his comfort level and therefore his ability to ride longer?
Quote Reply
Re: Your input is appreciated: Road bike position recommendation for a casual rider [Tri Wannabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
***not a fitter***

But my initial impression is that he can go a bit lower up front on the bars and his seat is way too high.
Quote Reply
Re: Your input is appreciated: Road bike position recommendation for a casual rider [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on the seat being a bit too high.

I'm not in on the "more weight on arms" theory tho. I'm no fit-guru, but I don't like a bunch of weight on my arms. He's a big guy and he's no spring chicken. Bending over further might take him some getting used to. Instead, I'd suggest playing around with different saddle types. Shops these days often have loaners. Find something that spreads his weight over a broader area.

I couldn't help notice that the top of his head is missing. That should be a priority. Nothing goes right w/o your head.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Your input is appreciated: Road bike position recommendation for a casual rider [Tri Wannabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ranger is close to right I think. You want to pick a new saddle. Then lower it from where it's at. If he doesn't have hand numbness the don't introduce it by lowering the cockpit. You *might* consider playing with fore /aft adjustments if any problems jump up.

Also not a fitter-J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That bike looks way too short for him. The frame's a couple sizes too small and he's probably going to have a hard time getting comfortable on it.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Your input is appreciated: Road bike position recommendation for a casual rider [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^^ this.

The bike is fine for casual rides, but if he wants to spend hours on the bike then he needs a new one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have found that the only way to truly relieve saddle pressure is to put out more power. It takes relative weight off of the seat. When I'm just riding along, my taint ends up inevitably hurting at some point. It must be especially pronounced in your friend's nearly vertical position.
Quote Reply