Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Your electronic hacks (tri bikes): pics or it didn't happen
Quote | Reply
seeking those who have nice pics of their electronic hack jobs. i'm not talking about the $9000 bike you bought with etap or di2. i'm talking about the $2,500 mechanically shifted bikes you bought that are now electronically shifted and you're in the whole thing, net-net, for $3500 or $4000. the sizzle here is how trick it is COMBINED WITH how cleverly you did it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Jan 27, 17 15:28
Quote Reply
Re: Your electronic hacks (tri bikes): pics or it didn't happen [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back a year or two ago when I was designing our bike - I had considered Magura Brakes. At the time I developed a button "Like the Cat Eye" to fit in both the extension bars and bullhorns (to also sell to Cervelo owners that had Maguras on their bikes). Its still ready to go - but when I could not get the Magura's to work in our front fork - I shelved the project.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Last edited by: dkennison: Jan 27, 17 15:58
Quote Reply
Re: Your electronic hacks (tri bikes): pics or it didn't happen [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does it have to be gears?

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Your electronic hacks (tri bikes): pics or it didn't happen [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkippyKitten wrote:
Does it have to be gears?

what other electronic thing do you have on your bike besides gears?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Your electronic hacks (tri bikes): pics or it didn't happen [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
neeto. yeah, i'd like you to PM or email me everything you have on that, including photos of it on your bike, and how you use it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure thing Dan

I was interviewed by Mark Florence (http://cyclingtimetrialpodcast.libsyn.com/...ct-home-aero-testing) a while back. Things have developed since then and hopefully even something I can make available for other people soon.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 A Little hacking and some drilling on a 2005 P3Sl.
Got the frame for 350.00 and got the bars and TT shifters from the ST classifieds.
I had to drill through the top tube into the down tube to run a wire to junction B then to the RD.
Could not fit a battery in the seat post because of frame tube blocking so I put it in the right aero bar extension.
My climbing switch wire at the left brake lever was short to reach junction A in the 3T Integra stem so I added a spliced section to reach.[/img][/img][/img][/img]
Last edited by: Clutch Cargo: Jan 29, 17 6:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the middle of a DIY mechanical-to-Di2 conversion. My aluminum frame, custom-built circa 2006, has been modded with a Dremel to go from external cabling to internal wiring, and then it was repainted in a home-made spray booth. I temporarily remounted the rear mechanical derailleur with a long section of cable housing so I can use the bike on my trainer. Once the seatpost battery is back in Shimano's stock, I will order the Di2 components I need all at once (which should be in the next couple weeks).

Pre-project;

beginning to modify the BB shell to fit the B junction into the down tube;

making one of the holes for internally-routed rear brake cable;

frame cable guide in place;

and removal of the welded-on external cable stops.

Flat black base coats applied;

masking for logos, etc.;

gloss white and clear coat applied;

dried and ready for reassembly;

and ready to go back on the trainer until phase (Di)2.

I will take more photos of the modded areas just prior to installing Di2, as well as photos of the install process. Looking forward to finishing this project!

[Edit: I also have these photos in much higher resolution, natch.]

I race duathlons and like it.
Last edited by: Alex E: Jan 29, 17 5:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does this qualify ?

this is a video of some testing done last December.
It's basically what was presented by Argon at Eurobike/Interbike but testing has progressed a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9pLsRSXKGg

Packaging has changed dramatically from this video. It's much smaller now.
The nose cone concept was for testing only.

Last edited by: marcag: Jan 29, 17 6:33
Quote Reply
Re: Your electronic hacks (tri bikes): pics or it didn't happen [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^ no big deal right ;)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saved some money in 2014 when I built a Campy EPS (athena/chorus) group on my tt.
I saw in the internet a whole EPS group (so with chain, cranks, brakes) for 999 Euros for racing bikes which was cheap and which I bought. I sold the stuff I didn't need (brakes, cranks) and bought bar end controls separately. I do not need to shift on the brakes, so I only needed bar end controls.

Now there was one problem: there are two different interfaces (the interface is the small part you put somewhere on the cockpit from which the cables to the battery and the shiftters extend).
One for racing bikes with only two exits for the shifters (which I purchased thus) and one for tt bikes with four exits for the shifters (which is quite expensive to buy separately)

Now here comes the electronical "hack", which isn't really a hack by the way but merely an undocumented combination of parts. I asked myself if it is possible to combine the tt bar end controls with the interface I had (which was designed for racing bike controls). I asked at the hotline of Campagnolo and they said yes it should work and in the end it worked.

Pics are here here (post #3791):
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ng=official#p5333419
Last edited by: longtrousers: Feb 3, 17 4:17
Quote Reply