Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
You won't believe what I did 6 weeks before the IM World Championships!
Quote | Reply
After meeting a friend for a long ride I met my wife to pick up groceries for the week. Going back to the apartment my main concern was grabbing a grocery cart (that are provided to us in order to transport stuff to and from our apartments) which was in the garage below the apartment complex. I totally forgot I had my Cervelo P2 on my yakima high roller roof rack and drove straight into the garage which is a concrete wall! Ripping my roof rack completely off, shattering my rear window of my car and folding both wheels of my bike in half. I know soooooo STUPID! Believe me I have been kicking myself!! I brought my bike to a local bike shop where they said the carbon fibers had been broken in the steering tube, which makes the bike un-rideable.

Does anyone have advice about whether or not the bike, or bike rack would be covered under insurance? I also have renters insurance for the apartment I am staying.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you!!
Quote Reply
Re: You won't believe what I did 6 weeks before the IM World Championships! [Tri-crazy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bummer! That really sucks... This doesn't really help you but it sounds like the perfect time to introduce new super-bike to the wife...

Good job on finding a creative way to upgrade ;)

-D
Quote Reply
Re: You won't believe what I did 6 weeks before the IM World Championships! [Tri-crazy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your title sounds like those stupid facebook ads for buzzfeed:

"An amazing list of stupid things triathletes do before Kona! Number 4 will shock you!"

I have nothing to add other then I sincerely wish you get your ride sorted out. I couldn't imagine that kind of stress!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: You won't believe what I did 6 weeks before the IM World Championships! [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it would be your car insurance and hard to say how much they would cover.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did exactly that in 1991....took the entire rack off the bike, $3000 damage on the car, shattered rear window.

Bike was intact...I was able to race the National Capital Triathlon the next morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pictures or it didn't happen!!! :)

Dynamic Athlete ProgrammingVIP Endurance Racing | Like us on Facebook Get Your Training Plan Here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same happened to me after IM Melbourne. My son was driving me back after the bike collection a we drove into the underground car park. Interestingly the extensions took the hit and the whole roof rack tore off the roof with the bike cartwheeling behind the car. Only damage was bends to derailleur and cracked base bar. Meant I had to get a new aerobar and service but that was it. All else was fine. Plenty of time to buy a new bike. Accident or opportunity - the choice is yours!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size P2? Got one in my basement I haven't used in years.
Quote Reply
Re: You won't believe what I did 6 weeks before the IM World Championships! [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well the old saying isn't if, it is when on roof racks. I don't have one any more, but was the only guy I knew that hadn't done just that when I retired mine. I did catch a skeg on a paddleboard in a garage ramp one time. I am an inside the car type guy now.
Quote Reply
Re: You won't believe what I did 6 weeks before the IM World Championships! [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, bike in the car, wife on the bus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a receipt for the bike and wheels, and can convince your insurance company that it happened in your apartment, you might be able to get it under renters insurance. Might be a long shot though... Check out the 2015 CEEPO lineup that was introduced at Eurobike!

Tim Russell, Pro Triathlete

Instagram- @timbikerun
Quote Reply
Re: You won't believe what I did 6 weeks before the IM World Championships! [TriDav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is one way to look at it! I am definitely trying to find the positives and maybe a new bike would help ease the pain. Luckily my wife is an avid triathlete so she understands and already told me to go buy another bike, its just tough being a recent college grad and no money.
Quote Reply
Re: You won't believe what I did 6 weeks before the IM World Championships! [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will definitely reconsider getting another roof rack! Maybe one that would attach to the hitch would be a much better idea!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending on your auto policy, look under FTC or comp coverage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea my wife would also say just buy a new one...but she thinks my zipps cost $100 with the powertap. So a new bike would be $500 ( sAme way her purse was $100.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Call your insurance guy. Usually covered by homeowners insurance, not car/vehicle. Maybe covered by renter's insurance. That's what the LBS guy told me based on his discussion with his girlfriend, an insurance agent.
Quote Reply
Re: You won't believe what I did 6 weeks before the IM World Championships! [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Your title sounds like those stupid facebook ads for buzzfeed:

"An amazing list of stupid things triathletes do before Kona! Number 4 will shock you!"

I have nothing to add other then I sincerely wish you get your ride sorted out. I couldn't imagine that kind of stress!

This was my first thought. Buzzfeed titles are so damn click bait. This was also a click bait title. I loathe click bait titles. Yet here I am...in this thread...commenting...due to a click bait title.

The Home of Advanced Running
Advanced Running Instagram Page
My narcisstic training log
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, that sucks.

My bike always goes inside the car!
Quote Reply
Re: You won't believe what I did 6 weeks before the IM World Championships! [efntm1432] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats great. One of my more idiotic moves was to get my wife into the sport. I am now the second fastest triathlete in the house and she is fully aware of how much everything costs. The good news is that my son is 3 years old and daughter is 6 mos, so I have 1 more solid year before I am downgraded in the speed ranking again....

efntm1432 wrote:
Yea my wife would also say just buy a new one...but she thinks my zipps cost $100 with the powertap. So a new bike would be $500 ( sAme way her purse was $100.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rent a bike?
Quote Reply
Re: You won't believe what I did 6 weeks before the IM World Championships! [IREPathletics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IREPathletics wrote:
Pictures or it didn't happen!!! :)

Where are the pics?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
try to use your home owners insurance

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-crazy wrote:
I will definitely reconsider getting another roof rack! Maybe one that would attach to the hitch would be a much better idea!

Just remember that means you trust the rest of the morons on the road to not rear end you (minus a few extra feet) more than you trust yourself to not pull into a garage. I guess at least then it should be their insurance responsible. That is if they have insurance.

Bike in the car.

"Some folks plan for the optimum race, others like to get upset when others out plan them. "
Quote Reply
Re: You won't believe what I did 6 weeks before the IM World Championships! [efntm1432] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean a purse costs more than a hundred bucks ??!!

Hmmm, there's going to be some interesting pillow talk with the girl tonight...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my wife did that to my road bike last summer I got a new P3 out of it which certainly didnt suck. It would have been covered by auto if i made a claim which i didnt, wasnt worth the trouble.

Good luck
Quote Reply

Prev Next