Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

You know it's windy when.....
Quote | Reply
Your StrokeMaker paddle gets ripped off by a gust of wind and you stop to see it in mid air dropping into the diving well. Serious front blowing in here today steady 15+ with gusts to a lot more. I was dying laughing it was one of those water droplets in your face from wind gusts felt like a rain swim!
Quote Reply
Re: You know it's windy when..... [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gent-Wevelgem... just sayin'...

Last week was windy here all week. Worst of which was steady 23 mph with gusts up to 30. With 60mm wheels it was a bit unnerving.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're going faster uphill with the tail wind than you are going down the same hill into the wind. The Magic City had gusts in the 50-60 mph range on Saturday...

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

https://www.youtube.com/...H8qgjyqibwY&t=45

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
Your StrokeMaker paddle gets ripped off by a gust of wind and you stop to see it in mid air dropping into the diving well. Serious front blowing in here today steady 15+ with gusts to a lot more. I was dying laughing it was one of those water droplets in your face from wind gusts felt like a rain swim!

...you watch someone decide to take one hand off the handlebars to get a drink, they lose control & get blown sideways over a barrier.
Quote Reply
Re: You know it's windy when..... [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You're going faster uphill with the tail wind than you are going down the same hill into the wind. The Magic City had gusts in the 50-60 mph range on Saturday...

Had this a few times. In Wellington we regularly get winds 80km/h+. I train in them because it's going to make it a lot easier on race day.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: You know it's windy when..... [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Belgium, we have a saying: "Waait het schuim van uw pint, dan staat er wind"...

Very basic translation to also rhime in English: "If the foam blows of your beer, you are experiencing windshear..."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a pool at my work I occasionally swim in. Years ago, on a very windy day, I was doing laps and all of the sudden, it went dark. The permanent canopy on the deck tore off and landed on me in the pool. Luckily, I was in the shallow end and could stand up to remove it.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're on a solo ride on a flat road rolling at 30+ mph and your power meter shows 100 Watts.
Quote Reply
Re: You know it's windy when..... [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you have to switch to the small ring on a flat just mantain a cadence of 60rpm. Fargo, home of the headwind hardened riders of the prairies.

Don't forget to unclip!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you are leaning about 20 degrees into the wind just to stay on the bike. On Merritt Island, with a thunderstorm a few dozen miles off-shore over the Atlantic.
Quote Reply
Re: You know it's windy when..... [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when you are struggling with a low cadence (around 60) in the small chain ring, pushing hard and going 8 mph DOWNHILL
Quote Reply
Re: You know it's windy when..... [Armstronium] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Armstronium wrote:
When you have to switch to the small ring on a flat just mantain a cadence of 60rpm. Fargo, home of the headwind hardened riders of the prairies.

When I lived in Fargo I discovered that the wind is magical there. No matter which way I turned it was always a head wind.
Quote Reply
Re: You know it's windy when..... [mclousing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had that. On a 120 mile day, one way. Made even riding in the south of France miserable. Nothing is more mentally crushing than knowing there is no upcoming turn out of the monster headwind to look forward to.

Geraint Thomas being blown off the road and into the ditch at Gent Wevelgem this year was pretty good, though the best winds at GW came earlier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nQM_38OOVo
Quote Reply
Re: You know it's windy when..... [mclousing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mclousing wrote:
when you are struggling with a low cadence (around 60) in the small chain ring, pushing hard and going 8 mph DOWNHILL

This perfectly describes quite a few days on the front range in CO.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply