Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
You have one hour on the trainer, what is your go to workout
Quote | Reply
Looking for some good interval set ideas from people who ride on the trainer in the winter. As stated in title, time is 1hour.
Quote Reply
Re: You have one hour on the trainer, what is your go to workout [Triagain2(FTDA)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any sufferfest
Quote Reply
Re: You have one hour on the trainer, what is your go to workout [Triagain2(FTDA)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
some ideas:

1. go as hard as you can for an hour
2. warmup, 4x8 minutes, cooldown (founds to be one of the more effective interval sessions in one study)
3. 2x20 minutes @ 1 hour power, or just 2x20 as hard as you can - good time trial practice
4. 1 hour at high zone 2 if you aren't feeling so fresh today

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: You have one hour on the trainer, what is your go to workout [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You using Coggan zones based off power?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10 minute warm-up.
42 minutes of:
- 2 minutes @ 95% effort
- 2 minutes @ 50% effort
- repeat...
8 minute cool-down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: You have one hour on the trainer, what is your go to workout [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
2. warmup, 4x8 minutes, cooldown (founds to be one of the more effective interval sessions in one study)

I like the sound of this one:
What power zone and what RI between intervals?

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pyramid workout:

5:00 warm-up
1:00 hard, 1:00 easy
2:00 hard, 2:00 easy
3:00 hard, 3:00 easy
4:00 hard, 4:00 min easy
5:00 hard, 5:00 easy
4:00 hard, 4:00 min easy
3:00 hard, 3:00 easy
2:00 hard, 2:00 easy
1:00 hard, 1:00 easy
5:00 cool down

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: You have one hour on the trainer, what is your go to workout [Koz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that sounds absolutely painful!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
some ideas:

3. 2x20 minutes @ 1 hour power, or just 2x20 as hard as you can - good time trial practice
¨

Great ideas. I would like to add that they somehow they managed 105-110% for those 8 minute intervals with only 2 minutes rest. VERY tough workouts!

A few others workouts that I really like for 1h:

5) 6x4 minutes@110%
6) 2x(10x60/60 @125/50%)
7) A combination: 3x4 min@110, into 10x60/60, can even finish up with 6-8x30/30 intervals at 130/70%.
8) Another combo: 8-8-4-4-3-3 with 3 minutes rest through. Work from 105% and up.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: You have one hour on the trainer, what is your go to workout [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice.
Keep them coming!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triagain2(FTDA) wrote:
that sounds absolutely painful!

:)
Call it a runner's workout on a bike. And, yeah, it'll cook ya. That pyramid suggested above is a doozy, too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
9-14 min warm up
1 minute slowly ramping up to hard the last 20 seconds
1 minute rest
1 minute slowly ramping up to hard the last 20 seconds
3 minutes rest
3x5 above 10 mile TT pace. (used to do these with a dumb trainer that I had TT'd on so I knew the virtual power as a function of speed.)
5 minute cool down.
50-55 minutes and you don't dread it.

I will also do 8x1min really hard with 4 minutes recovery as the main set. One study showed that was something like 90-95% as effective as the longer 5 min VO2 sets. Easier to wrap head around on the trainer as well. 1 hour and you don't dread it.

I like to think of the trainer as the track of the running world and a lot of those timed workouts can work pretty well I also find spinning much easier then jogging after a hard set. Structuring the trainer with more rest has also helped me actually do the workout without sandbagging the early intervals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sufferfest - Hell Hath No Fury
Quote Reply
Re: You have one hour on the trainer, what is your go to workout [ ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
warm up
2.5' @ 125%
2.5' spin
repeat until bored or dead

fun if you're streaming a race with lots of attacks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Turn on ipod. Warm up for about 10 minutes. 2 or 3 songs hard, rest for one song, repeat until hour is about up. My theory is that the random durations have some beneficial training effect-thing. My playlist is mostly punk so songs are anywhere from 90 seconds to 3-4 minutes each.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any sufferfest.Set it to +10% FTP if you have Kickr, since it's easier with Kickr due to the pacing and accel steadiness on the Kickr

Or the 2 x 20' @ FTP is always excellent and hard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drdan wrote:
any sufferfest

This

jackmott wrote:
some ideas:

Because these sound like The Sufferfest workouts :)

1 is much like The Wretched
2 is much like Angels or Chrysalis (as a bike workout only)
3 is Hell Hath No Fury
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What if you want to do a 20-minute FTP-Test regularly, but have more time and want to also optimize this session in terms of a regular workout that actually increases your FTP?

So, after the typical FTP-routine (warmup, 5' clearing effort, 20' all-out), what would be a good way to extend this to a longer workout?
  • Another 20' minute effort?
  • Some shorter intervalls?
  • Better just add some base endurance riding beforehand or afterwards and have a seperate day dedicated to shorter intervalls

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on what you did the days before and what you're doing the days after.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TR's Givens is a good one to make you suffer for 60 min:
5 min w/u 50%FTP
1 min @110%
1 min @50%
1 min @120%
1 min @50%
1 min @130%
5 min @50%
3 min @110%
3 min @50%
3 min @120%
3 min @50%
3 min @130%
8 min @60%
repeat the 3 min interval sequence
7 min c/d @50%
Quote Reply
Re: You have one hour on the trainer, what is your go to workout [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All riding increases your FTP.
So you can kinda do whatever you want, and which particular workout would be best is really hard to say!

I imagine psychologically it is pretty hard to do anything else hard after a 5' + 20' all out effort though.

I think I would just rest and then cruise at mid to high zone 2 after that. Live to fight another day.

flogazo wrote:
What if you want to do a 20-minute FTP-Test regularly, but have more time and want to also optimize this session in terms of a regular workout that actually increases your FTP?

So, after the typical FTP-routine (warmup, 5' clearing effort, 20' all-out), what would be a good way to extend this to a longer workout?
  • Another 20' minute effort?
  • Some shorter intervalls?
  • Better just add some base endurance riding beforehand or afterwards and have a seperate day dedicated to shorter intervalls

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
All riding increases your FTP.
So you can kinda do whatever you want, and which particular workout would be best is really hard to say!

I imagine psychologically it is pretty hard to do anything else hard after a 5' + 20' all out effort though.

I think I would just rest and then cruise at mid to high zone 2 after that. Live to fight another day.

Pretty much what I did after my last test. Spent 50' warming up, throwing in a bunch of clearing efforts, 20' all-out, then an hour in zone-2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing that involves L3 intervals that's for sure. Probably not L4 intervals either. ymmv

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: You have one hour on the trainer, what is your go to workout [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
L3 = 76 -90 % of FTP
L4 = 91-105% of FTP

are we on the same page?
Quote Reply

Prev Next