Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
You Think It's Only a Three Hour Ride...
Quote | Reply
But it's not.

Preparing your bike the night before: 30 minutes.
Preparing your special sports drink: 10 minutes.
Glopping on your chamois cream and getting dressed in layers, putting together your spare tire and nutrition in your back pocket: 15 minutes.
Riding to the ride: 20 minutes.
Actually riding: 3 hours.
Having coffee after the ride with your riding friends: 1 hour.
Riding home: 20 minutes.
Spraying off the dirt grit from your bike: 10 minutes.
Booting up your computer and uploading your Strava: 5 minutes.
Having a shower while you're uploading your data to Strava: 5 minutes.
Poring over your Strava data and writing comments on your friend's rides and your witty replies to their comments: 1 hour.
Napping because you're, like, totally thrashed from the ride: 1 hour.
Writing an email report on the ride to your non-Strava friends and discussing it on the phone: 1 hour.
Washing and putting away your clothes: 5 minutes.
Guilt washing of the dishes and cleaning the house because you're been away for five hours and you don't want your spouse to be angry at you for not contributing: 1 hour.

Total time: 9 hours.

Extra time: Surfing eBay looking for a faster bike: Sky's the limit.
Quote Reply
Re: You Think It's Only a Three Hour Ride... [karencoutts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karencoutts wrote:
But it's not.

Preparing my bike is 1 minute of tire pumping, done right before the ride

2 minutes, tops. Water from the tap. Powder from the cupboard. I can shave 30 seconds by leaving the tub on the counter, but that usually results in a grumpy Wife.

Glopping on your chamois cream and getting dressed in layers, putting together your spare tire and nutrition in your back pocket: 15 minutes.
Taking that long to get dressed must be a female thing, or so life has taught me. (It took me less that 5 go get dressed for my wedding.) Spare tire is already on bike (why didn't you do this in step 1?) A 3-hour ride is maybe 3 gels or 8 fig newtons. BTW- could you describe in detail exactly how you are putting on that cream? Perhaps that's what's taking you so long.

I suppose people actually do this. If I have to drive to ride, it'd better be a race.

Agreed

Friends?

See comment on racing

Wait. What?

You need a new computer.

Showers last way longer than 5 minutes. 2 minutes to get clean. 10 minutes (minimum) just standing there in the water.

Poring over your Strava data and writing comments on your friend's rides and your witty replies to their comments: 1 hour.
Wait. What?

I think your cutting your nap time short. Maybe if you didn't spend 15 minutes putting on chamois cream, you'd have more nappy time.

Writing an email report on the ride to your non-Strava friends and discussing it on the phone: 1 hour.
Wait. What?

I have a laundry basket.

Guilt washing of the dishes and cleaning the house because you're been away for five hours and you don't want your spouse to be angry at you for not contributing: 1 hour.
I have a dishwasher and I communicate with the Wife about my training schedule.

Total time: 9 hours.
Total time fore me. ~3:50
(Note: 30 of those minutes were for the post- ride run.)

Extra time: Surfing eBay looking for a faster bike: Sky's the limit.
I like my bike and won't be replacing it any time soon. However, if you'd have said something about wasting time on ST...

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: You Think It's Only a Three Hour Ride... [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My three hour ride.

Roll out of bed
pull on bike shorts and shoes, slop some water into a bottle. grab jersey going out the door, put on while walking down the stairs. 5 minutes
ride three hours, solo, anyone I know is either too fast or not fast enough to ride long with me. 3 hours
get home, shower and shave to go to work. 10 minutes

This is my Sunday routine all summer. Tires get pumped on my group ride days waiting for others to show up.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In all honesty, that's why I alternate between a computrainer and rollers. Just more time efficient for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is why my bike stays on the trainer in the winter.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: You Think It's Only a Three Hour Ride... [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calvin386 wrote:
This is why my bike stays on the trainer in the winter.
In Reply To:

This is one reason I stay on my bike trainer 99% of the year.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds pretty accurate to me...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: You Think It's Only a Three Hour Ride... [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim wrote:
My three hour ride ...

yes but then you don't get to fake-complain about how long your 3 hr ride takes or tweet and FB to tell all your friends about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Skipper and Gilligan went on a three hour ride and look what happened to them...

John Snyder @URNotAsCoolAsMe
Quote Reply
Re: You Think It's Only a Three Hour Ride... [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter nailed it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont ride outside.
Quote Reply
Re: You Think It's Only a Three Hour Ride... [espejo09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nobody rides bikes anymore these days. It's all about space ships.
Quote Reply
Re: You Think It's Only a Three Hour Ride... [espejo09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
espejo09 wrote:
I dont ride outside.

I just need to get my multi rider going so I can ride inside with others.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: You Think It's Only a Three Hour Ride... [pedalbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pedalbiker wrote:
Tri-Banter nailed it.

X2

The OP must be independently wealthy like an heir or heiress. I live in the real world, have shit to do, and can't waste that much time. Wink

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is why I built my house where I did. Best riding anywhere in central Ohio is out my driveway.

What is to prepare, do you have to talk to it to get it psyched up? Pump up tires = 1 minute.

Scooping drink mix into a bottle takes 18 seconds. It mixes as you ride.

Pull on shorts, pull on jersey. If it is winter the bike is on the trainer, so I spend a little more time finding the bike shorts the dog chewed.

This is why I can't do group rides. So much easier to ride out my driveway, and groups tend not to ride where I want to ride. Get to the end of the driveway = 11 seconds.

Ride = 3 hours

Getting food post ride = 5 minutes grabbing leftovers and nuking them, repeat 3 times.

The bike ride is the ride home.

I try to wipe my bike down at least once a year.

I can't imagine anyone but me caring about the ride I just did.

I can't remember the last time I took a shower of only 5 minutes. Shower = 15 minutes

Oh geez, I can't imagine caring about someone else's ride. It sounds like listening to someone recap their round of golf.

Naps should be either 15 minutes or at least 2 hours. If you have the time for a nap, it is one of the most perfect things ever invented. Nap = 2 hours.

For all that is just and righteous, why? Who are these friends that want to hear about your ride? They aren't friends, they are stalkers, and they already know how your ride went, they were there.

Every ride? Do you only have one pair of bike shorts?

Even my parents had a dishwasher. And if your spouse is going to be angry you went for a ride, get a new spouse. Unless of course you are expecting him to pore over your Strava data, then he is completely justified at being angry.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely no kids or significant other.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. That's me too. How about doubling up swimming and riding on a weekend? I leave for swim practice after breakfast, then a bunch of things happen, then I'm closing my garage door after putting away the bike somewhere around 4 PM. Shower, meal, and it's almost 5 and almost evening. What is this I don't even....
Quote Reply
Re: You Think It's Only a Three Hour Ride... [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:
Definitely no kids or significant other.

hahaha, that was absolutely going to be my comment. I guess there is mention of significant other. But yeah, with a kiddo, I can't just take an entire day for non-essential activities...
Quote Reply
Re: You Think It's Only a Three Hour Ride... [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
This is one reason I stay on my bike trainer 99% of the year.

So you desperately need Disk brakes on a tri bike so that you can stop before kicking the dog?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your 9 hour estimate is off.

If you are truly committed, cycling is a 24/7 thing ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: You Think It's Only a Three Hour Ride... [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Yep. That's me too. How about doubling up swimming and riding on a weekend? I leave for swim practice after breakfast, then a bunch of things happen, then I'm closing my garage door after putting away the bike somewhere around 4 PM. Shower, meal, and it's almost 5 and almost evening. What is this I don't even....

Happends to me all the time!
"I should do my 3h ride now"
*7 hours later*
*coming in from 2:51 ride*

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, I'm going to admit I'm not writing this satirical post about me. It's about someone else, who has a significant other AND kids.

The times were only a slight exaggeration. I tried to be accurate, and guesstimated just a bit! The real total time for the person I am writing about is more like six hours, which includes a nap.

For myself a three hour ride is really a four hour ride when you include the travel time, but I am lucky to have someone else prepare my bike for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's actually a 3 hour 40 minute ride ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get that this was written as satire, but to jump on the flame train...

karencoutts wrote:
My Garmin connects to my phone & as soon as I hit stop on the ride, it send it to Garmin Connect in seconds. Garmin Connect then sends it to TrainingPeaks & Strava automatically. I then forget about it.
Total time: 0 minutes since I am doing other things while this happens in the background

karencoutts wrote:
Like someone else said, no one really gives two shits that I rode my bike today other than my coach & he will just look at TrainingPeaks.
Total time: 0 minutes

I just saved you 2 hours & 20 minutes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also get that the OP was in jest. It does lend itself to the often overlooked time management aspect of our lifestyle. Some of the things people are doing make a lot of sense and some do not. For instance traveling by car to do a bike workout. It's pretty rare that I'd do it and will usually just ride to the group ride. I do drive to a weekly group run but it's been worth the drive time in terms of quality.
Quote Reply

Prev Next