Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twain wrote:

1991 Steelman just before Wildflower
- Scott DH Bars
- Avocet wired cyclometer
- Shimano Ultegra 600 7-speed
- Exceed
- J-disc
- Selle Italia Turbo saddle
- and, most importantly, malt powerbar on the top tube. Yum!

Good one! Thanks for resurrecting this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweet ride! Your bike's Scott DH bars have the requisite upgrade to 2nd gen arm rests to replace the original DH foam sleeve that didn't offer much cushioning and split apart after minimal use. I can't tell but the seat looks really far forward - does the seatpost also have a Torque Platform to move the seat clamp forward for a steeper position?
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [Overdistance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Overdistance wrote:
Sweet ride! Your bike's Scott DH bars have the requisite upgrade to 2nd gen arm rests to replace the original DH foam sleeve that didn't offer much cushioning and split apart after minimal use. I can't tell but the seat looks really far forward - does the seatpost also have a Torque Platform to move the seat clamp forward for a steeper position?
- Great spot on the DH bars. Those original arm rests were terrible.
- Seatpost was from, I think, Nytro Sport or the precursor to them. It was a zero offset post so you could slam the seat pretty far forward. Aluminum tube wrapped in carbon.
BTW, the blue "bar tape" is actually tennis racquet wrap!
The front wheel was a Performance 28 bladed spoke job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
twain wrote:

- Scott DH Bars
- Exceed
- J-disc

Sweet. I rocked a pair of Scott DH bars on my Centurion bike as I raced many of the USTS events in my split neon shorts (I forget what the shorts were called - but after races, they would have hot legs contests - very odd scene back in the late 80s).
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [Tribato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pierogies !! I completely forgot about Mrs. T's. Kudos on the Pyro Platforms also! Our 80's timeline overlapped I'm sure. I want to say '87 or '88?

My list is:

1) I was the coolest kid with my Trimble Aero bike, and aluminum skinned disc
2) Transitions where you could ride right up to your rack, no stinking dismount line
3) Still using regular laces for T2 and remembering how long that seemed to take
4) Used a tub of water to wash off the feet after the Swim in at T1
5) Think I still have my Scott DH bars somewhere at my parents house
6) Remember when steep seat tube angles of 90 deg. were fooled with curved seat post
7) Machined (i.e. flat) brake surface was new stuff.

Also remember switching to Look clipless pedals, AND this CRAZY newfangled index shifting?! Started with friction shift on the down tubes where you could change gears in silence so your competition couldn't hear when you were 'making your move'. Or that was the excuse to not go with indexing.

Ah, the memories! Good thread! Lets us all show our age.

Tribato wrote:
The Puntous twins (drat someone beat me to this one)
Desert Princess Duathlon
Topline/Kooka or other silly-light cranks
neon Tri-Fit brand clothing
Pierogies
Leon's Tri (let's put the bike course on the freeway)
Tom Warren
Rob Mackle
J-Discs
Beers at the finish line when you did any Bud Light USTS race
Hoshi (so sharp they'll filet your fingers) bladed spokes
Dr. Matt Brick
Pyro Platforms
...and Emilio before her wore DeSoto clothing :)
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come on guys... This is Empfield's Slowtwitch. Can't believe this wasn't the first thing mentioned. (Or maybe it was and I missed it.)

QR Superform
Last edited by: Bru: Dec 2, 15 9:39
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
11. PB&J sandwiches at the BIKE aid stations'
12. Speedo as the only way to S/B/R
13. The BIG 4
14. Tinley Talks
15. Mrs. T's
16. Tri-Fed neon green race belts
17. Steve Locke
18. Tim Yount...young Tim
19. 1st Powerman Alabama
20. My 1st race NOT in the 1st wave..how the HELL did I get to 35-39?

STIndiana
America Multi-Sport, Inc.
America's Half June 10, 2017
USAT RD Century Club
http://www.americamultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [Stindiana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [Stindiana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In random order:

Buyng first two Scott DH aerobars in New York City.
Leppin Squeezies gels from 1980's.
Drilling out components to save weight.
Mike Pigg.
Bebop pedals.
Scott Tinley Performance Wear.
Wasting several minutes looking for a towel to change in T1 of 1988 Bud Light Endurance Triathlon Cape Cod (ironman distance) as public nudity was dissallowed by RD in the morning of the race.
Large schwag bag of random gear and supplies (olive oil, soap, onion skins running shorts, etc) in the original NYC Triathlons (RD - Don Davis of SOS fame).
Lycra helmet covers.
Jimmy Cutrone dominating local NY tri races in the 80's.
Lead-filled aerobottles as training device.
When Tupper Lake Tinman was raced by pros and you encountered black bears on the run course.
Spinergy Rev-X wheels.
Ambrose Salmini.
When you could qualify for Kona at local races (Fairmount Park, etc.)
Green Magma.
Revelation of riding with DuraAce barcon shifters and Dia-Compe 188 brake levers.
Cinelli Angel, Spinaci and other Italian exotica aerobars.
Trimble bikes and gear (seat rails to make road bike into tri).
T-gear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pdxjohn wrote:
twain wrote:

- Scott DH Bars
- Exceed
- J-disc

Good one! Thanks for resurrecting this thread.

I bet you I could have ridden sub 2:40 at Wildflower on that bike with my 1991 body and with that exact nutrition plan. That set up is probably decently fast given the narrow tubes the J Disc and the fairly narrow pad placement. Here is my 1991 IMC Penticton set up:

Kestrel 200, torque platform forward seat post, Mavic GP4 rims, Shimano Ultegra 7 speed 12-23. 53x39, 172.5 cranks. I believe the tubulars with conti sprinters or Grand Prix (can't remember but I was always on Conti). Cinelli Base bar, profile clip on, flapping singlet, Rhode Gear mushroom helmet, Powerbar on top tube, single water bottle holder (why do you need more than 1 when they have an aid station every 10 miles). I think that day's split was 5:37. Not bad considering I had no clue what I was doing other than going as hard as possible until I slowed down and then went hard as possible at the new slow down speed and then slowed down again and again and again, until I was not moving that fast anymore. Then got on the run and repeated the same process. Still went 10:30, but Fernanda Keller dropped me on the rollers right after Richter after my 25 year old self had to get to the top of Richter before her (what was I thinking anyway should have just followed her up right???).
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [mfrassica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mfrassica wrote:

4) Used a tub of water to wash off the feet after the Swim in at T1
[/quote]
Unfortunately, I've seen a lot of people still use a tub to take up a good amount of space in T1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Buying Tinley brand tri clothing
2. Making your own aero bars
3. Using a surfing wetsuit in a tri
4. 83 starters in a long distance tri
5. Under 400 starters in an IM branded race (nothing like being on a solo 180km ride followed by a solo 42km run! LOL)
6. Wanting to be Spencer Smith
7. Seeing Erin Baker finish the run while you're putting your shoes on in T2 :-(

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have some DH bars waiting to be installed on a museum tri bike I'm still trying to find the time to build up. (I have a near new 55 tooth big ring to go on it, to match the 650 wheels)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
A few more:

The Puntous twins
the Nishiki Altron
the original Timex Ironman

I have an original Timex Ironman watch. It's behind glass in a frame on my wall. It has my splits from my first IM race engraved on the back. It has pride of place next to my framed photos of my first IM race.

I remember watching the Puntos twins race, the year before I started tri, and I rode a borrowed Nishiki for my first season.

TriDork

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spinergy wheels (I loved those things)

-Tony Zamora
http://www.endorphinhub.com
USA Triathlon Level 2
Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
World's Toughest Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-When NA Sports ran Ironman USA Lake Placid. The more years that have past since they went away, the more I miss the old family business feel of their races with Graham Fraser and crew.
-When Ironman-branded halfs were called Half Ironman (and the change to 70.3)
-When Ironman very briefly had their own sanctioning group called GTG when they were having a hissy fit with USAT
-When a race director of a small USAT-sanctioned race said something to the affect of "We only have one or two lifeguards, so just don't get into trouble on the swim, okay" That would never happen today and thankfully that guy is no longer in business!
-When USAT added that stupid age of December 31st rule (I aged up that year)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK I did WTT in Tahoe in 1993. I rode it with Scott Extreme 100K bars. I still have those bars in my basement. The width of those bars was 38 cm wide. Same ones as these that Lemond used but I had my brake hoods where is hands are to be "more aero"

Last edited by: devashish_paul: Dec 2, 15 18:46
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [tzcoaching] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tzcoaching wrote:
Spinergy wheels (I loved those things)

This was at Barrelman this past September.

2014 P3 DI2 - RT6, CXR80, Power2Max S, 820, Fenix 3 HR. (gone)
Last edited by: P90Puma: Dec 2, 15 18:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pdxjohn wrote:
World's Toughest Triathlon

OK this picture is from IMC94, but I had the exact same setup at Tahoe 1993 complete with the Tinley tri suit:

Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [P90Puma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SWEET!!!! I have a pair on my retired MTB as well; don't know how those things never blew up under me.

BTW; were you last out of the water or first off the bike - looks empty in transition :)

-Tony Zamora
http://www.endorphinhub.com
USA Triathlon Level 2
Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [tzcoaching] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tzcoaching wrote:
BTW; were you last out of the water or first off the bike - looks empty in transition :)

It was early the day before for race packet pickup ;)

2014 P3 DI2 - RT6, CXR80, Power2Max S, 820, Fenix 3 HR. (gone)
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I raced many of the USTS events in my split neon shorts (I forget what the shorts were called - but after races, they would have hot legs contests - very odd scene back in the late 80s).

I think they were called Tri-Fit shorts...in every color of neon....I had hot pink and neon green and yellow.

Truth be told I still train on my tri bike wearing running shorts...because I love of keeping it simple....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri suits were cool from 1983-1987....

Then racing in your speedo was with cropped singlet was cool..(or no shirt at all)...and Tri suits were totally dorky...only the euros wore them.....from 1987-2000

and slowly the damn Tri suit made a comeback in the later 90's....I miss the speedo days (but I am not about to inflict that sight on unsuspecting spectators)
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve-oH! wrote:
Tri suits were cool from 1983-1987....

Then racing in your speedo was with cropped singlet was cool..(or no shirt at all)...and Tri suits were totally dorky...only the euros wore them.....from 1987-2000

and slowly the damn Tri suit made a comeback in the later 90's....I miss the speedo days (but I am not about to inflict that sight on unsuspecting spectators)

Don't forget Faris!
Quote Reply

Prev Next