Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Yo! Bike racing buddies....
Quote | Reply
I may never race again, did only 2 last year, but I'm still climbing on the rollers doing 2x20's at tempo, and tempo+3x a week. Been Zwifting, lying about my weight like everyone else and hanging with the fast kids. I'm way behind in my training which used to start about in November for March/April first races. longest long ride in a while is a 4.5 hour z1,2 mountain bike calorie eater ride 2 weeks ago. I've been working too much, too much age, too "fat" but still, a desire to race at age 57. It's in the blood.

So when is my first race? Do I race into form? Do I keep/start laying down the base and add in the intensity etc mid March or so and plan to race in May and beyond? I'm going the selfie coach route for now, using old files and years of accumulated knowledge. If I have a season at all, then rehire the coach later.

Delusional? Just give up? Rage, rage?

TIA

Jimmy
Quote Reply
Re: Yo! Bike racing buddies.... [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, sounds like me this year!

I say give up.

Cat down and crush dreams!
Quote Reply
Re: Yo! Bike racing buddies.... [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jimmay, you need to find Bunk and just go drink and party

Jest aside, sort of in a similar boat, though 25 years younger. Flogging myself on roads with no shoulders no longer seem worthwhile. Do I miss road racing? Yes. But i don’t miss other aspects of it

You can still go shoot for PRs. Or perhaps do TTs
Quote Reply
Re: Yo! Bike racing buddies.... [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

Jest aside, sort of in a similar boat, though 25 years younger. Flogging myself on roads with no shoulders no longer seem worthwhile. Do I miss road racing? Yes. But i don’t miss other aspects of it

Ha, yeah, Bunk Moreland is no good for me.
TT's may be it, and Wednesday Night Worlds could be my pick up racing.
We'll see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i may cat down AND give up.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say try to race into shape. I'm kind of in the same boat that you were/are in. Did almost no riding in October, November, and December because working way too much. Also, I was supposed to be on ISTA in Oman this year but my work visa was stonewalled. So hadn't been riding and wasn't planning on racing this year. My motivation was next to nothing for most of January but I have slowly been coming around and riding more often. In Texas its fairly easy to race into shape which is what I plan on doing starting in a week. Hopefully the race hard, take the week easy method starts to pay off in some regained fitness fairly fast for some of the larger races in the late spring. I wouldn't think it would hurt to at least try to race into shape assuming that you have enough races close by where it is logistically/financially possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

You want to take his bad form and low motivation and go do TT's? Sheeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiittttt! That sounds like a non starter.

How about a zwift race or two to fire up the old competitive juices? Im sure there is a category befitting old Jimmy's current capacity.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm done on the road--not even one race last year-- but jumped into a handful of gravel races & events for fun. This year I'd like to bring it a little more on gravel stuff. In the past I've been at my very best after a lot of base miles, similar to what you're doing plus longer day on weekend. Went back to that this winter and just now adding intensity. First event is March 10, but first event where I'd like to go well is May 3. So kind of a combo of what you mentioned--get lots of miles in to build on, add some events and intensity to race into top shape.
Quote Reply
Re: Yo! Bike racing buddies.... [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
I'm done on the road--not even one race last year-- but jumped into a handful of gravel races & events for fun. This year I'd like to bring it a little more on gravel stuff. In the past I've been at my very best after a lot of base miles, similar to what you're doing plus longer day on weekend. Went back to that this winter and just now adding intensity. First event is March 10, but first event where I'd like to go well is May 3. So kind of a combo of what you mentioned--get lots of miles in to build on, add some events and intensity to race into top shape.

This is where I'm at - pretty much done with the road. I've been migrating to pretty much all gravel/mixed condition racing. I like how the course is the challenge in almost an equal about as the competition (sometimes more). I also like to geek out on the equipment choices for mixed surface riding/racing.

I'm getting a new fun mtn bike this year too! I may jump in to marathon mtn race if I feel like it.

I personally like to stay fit and kind of "race ready" just in case something comes up that looks interesting. When I enter a race, I still like to think I have a shot at the win.

I do still like to do our local crit series though. We have an A and B group, and I've been riding with the A guys for years, so it's fairly chill and polite as far as crits go. Also fun to play team tactics with you buddies.

Jordano wrote:
echappist wrote:

You want to take his bad form and low motivation and go do TT's? Sheeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiittttt! That sounds like a non starter.

How about a zwift race or two to fire up the old competitive juices? Im sure there is a category befitting old Jimmy's current capacity.

Dude I get on Zwift and I’m 30 pounds lighter. Young Jimmy is back! SHeeeeeeiiiiiiit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

Yeah, I see a lot more gravel in my future. I’m fortunate to have 100s of miles of gravel roads to ride, right out of my front door. Peaceful and safe. Easy to get the hours in and if you eat it, the landing is usually a bit softer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race into shape or not, at this point it's all training for cyclocross season. And that's a good thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Yo! Bike racing buddies.... [Bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree 100% on staying fit; can only be the nail so many times before hammer starts looking pretty good.

Where I live most of the year has incredible terrain but no real organized group/race rides. Have a small group of buddies but we mostly do long days & some adventuring at more of a slog-it-out pace. I did a race ride last weekend in North Scottsdale and forgot how much they hurt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Local training crits are probably the answer. No one gives a shit if you attack like a mad man and then blow up, and if you get dropped early you can always blame it on too much training and not enough rest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m lucky to have a nice riding community with a lot of easy rides and hammer rides. The terrain and weather could be better, but you can’t have it all!

One of the awesome things about gravel racing is that it’s so inclusive. Quite a few pros and former like to jump into them - pretty cool to be off the front all race with the like of Tim Johnson and Ned Overend - actually happened to me a couple of years ago. Good times.

nightfend wrote:
Local training crits are probably the answer. No one gives a shit if you attack like a mad man and then blow up, and if you get dropped early you can always blame it on too much training and not enough rest.

This is where I am. Circuits or crits, it’s like pick up hoops. You just bang and have fun. My attacks are really just an act of desperation. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Jordano wrote:
echappist wrote:

Dude I get on Zwift and I’m 30 pounds lighter. Young Jimmy is back! SHeeeeeeiiiiiiit.

Well, since you're okay with a bit of cheating to make yourself feel better, why not put a motor in your bike? Then you can do it outside too!
Last edited by: Ai_1: Feb 15, 18 0:54
Quote Reply
Re: Yo! Bike racing buddies.... [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
McNulty wrote:
Jordano wrote:
echappist wrote:

Well, since you're okay with a bit of cheating to make yourself feel better, why not put a motor in your bike? Then you can do it outside too!

Done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right? I mean who doesn't have one?

In 9 days your bike racing stoke will be high. At least the watching part.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

Speaking of which, this band of road racing outcasts should once again participate in a thread about the Spring Classics. GvA is looking good right now, and it'll probably be a four-horse race between Kwiatek, Gilbert, Sagan, and GvA for the Spring Classics
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

Speaking of which, this band of road racing outcasts should once again participate in a thread about the Spring Classics. GvA is looking good right now, and it'll probably be a four-horse race between Kwiatek, Gilbert, Sagan, and GvA for the Spring Classics

Indeed. Going to miss TB, though. He classed up every race he entered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GvA looked really good today, and hard to argue with the tear he’s been on since Olympics.

That group will be up there. Stybar and Vanmarcke deserve wins after being sooo close. Could be interesting with Van Baarle at Sky along with Kwiatkowski.

All that said, Sagan has some real support around him now. Could be the year he gets hot and goes on a streak.

So, yeah, someone should probably start a classics thread before McNulty’s gets totally ‘jacked.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Feb 15, 18 20:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
GvA looked really good today, and hard to argue with the tear he’s been on since Olympics.

That group will be up there. Stybar and Vanmarcke deserve wins after being sooo close. Could be interesting with Van Baarle at Sky along with Kwiatkowski.

All that said, Sagan has some real support around him now. Could be the year he gets hot and goes on a streak.

So, yeah, someone should probably start a classics thread before McNulty’s gets totally ‘jacked.

Good call, I forgot about Stybar, Vanmarcke, and Van Baarle. I'd put Oliver Niessen in that second rung as well. Should be great, and I can't wait
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

Good call, I forgot about Stybar, Vanmarcke, and Van Baarle. I'd put Oliver Niessen in that second rung as well. Should be great, and I can't wait

I was going to reply that Oliver Naessen shouldn't be forgotten, he seems to rise to the occasion often. Agreed with Vanmarcke deserving a win after last year's bad luck, people easily forget how good he is. I'd say keep your eye out for Julian Alaphilippe as well, he had some bad luck with his knee but I'd say his form in Milan-Sanremo or his attack in the World Championship are some good indicators of him maybe being a wild card for some podiums in the Spring Classics he's attending. It will probably depend on how Quickstep want to play their cards in those races.

I think we're definitely in for some great races in the coming months! As a Belgian I'm looking forward to Sagan vs GvA vs Gilbert with 5-10 others that could easily threaten them.
Quote Reply

Prev Next