Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Yet another Lance and Gear thread...
Quote | Reply
I know this gets beaten to death, but I just can't seem to let these things go. We know Lance is very picky about his aerobars. I just can't tell what he's riding from the pictures today. In this pic, you can obviously see the Bontrager sticker on the bars, but I'm guessing the bars are simply rebranded. To me they look like a set of flattened VisionTech's. Obviously the bars are flat, we know he likes that. But the "wings" are also swept forward. They certainly don't look like anything from Deda, Hed, Oval, Profile, Easton, TTT, Syntace... Anybody know what these are? Is Bontrager now in the bar biz?

Quote Reply
Re: Yet another Lance and Gear thread... [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those look like Vision Tech armrests, but it doesn't have the airfoil-shaped stem clamp that all the Vision Tech's have. I'd guess it's a one-off or prototype Bontrager. Maybe JC's handiwork?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are Deda bars. I saw a picture of the front to the bars from the last time trial, plus they sponsor him, I think.

T. Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
....and how about the rear disk. It is definitely flat. Is it a Zipp?

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Yet another Lance and Gear thread... [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bontrager now has a disk (as well as a deep carbon front), you can see them on treks project one site when you spec wheels. Now I'm not sure who makes the Bontrager wheels, my guess is zipp.

A
Quote Reply
Re: Yet another Lance and Gear thread... [NJbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine the biz says that Zipp makes the Bontrager wheels. As they do American Classic, Cane Creek and others. But not sure though.

I thought Lance would be riding the ADA wheels. We may see him riding those in the TDF.

"Strategy? The strategy was in the preparation" - Lance Armstrong after winning 2000 TDF
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think those look like Deda aerobars. They may have stickers on them, but who knows what that means. Rumor had it Trek was working on a prototype aerobar (Bicycling magazing issue april or may) that could be what this is.

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Re: Yet another Lance and Gear thread... [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those are Bontrager bars specifically made for the man. FIrst saw light of day in the Tour de Murcia TT. I heard or read this in an interview either in OLN or Cyclingnews, not sure, during the warmup for the TT.
Quote Reply
Re: Yet another Lance and Gear thread... [KingK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that the all-important lineage of Lance's aero bars has been cleared up, if someone could enlighten me as to the clip-on tri bars that David Millar has been using in the Dauphine, I would be much obliged.

Duncan
Quote Reply
Re: Yet another Lance and Gear thread... [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ITM crono vip 3

BA coaching http://www.bjornandersson.se
Quote Reply
Re: Yet another Lance and Gear thread... [bjorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Bjorn, since I've found out Indurain used them, they must be an old classic, yet somehow I've never heard of them. They're also just what I've been looking for, and cheap too.

duncan

ps - if you are Bjorn Andersson as I suspect, impressive riding at the Utah half, a shame about those 6 seconds... Seems to me your bike position can't be so bad!
Quote Reply
Re: Yet another Lance and Gear thread... [Rusty D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last I checked LA was using Lightweight carbon wheels and not ADA.
Quote Reply
Re: Yet another Lance and Gear thread... [NJbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Now I'm not sure who makes the Bontrager wheels, my guess is zipp.

Yip... Zipp makes the disks for Bontrager.

-gc
Quote Reply