Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Yet Another Wheel Question (Kestrel 4000SL frame)
Quote | Reply
I am looking for a more aero wheel for my tri bike, which is built on a Kestrel 4000SL frame from 2012. The problem that I have encountered is that the frame just doesn't allow for a particularly wide rim width. I have a Flo 90 that I can't use because, while has clearance when the tire is not inflated, the slight change in profile of the fairing that occurs when I am inflated to 100+ PSI causes the fairing to rub on the frame. I am running a Flo in front with no issues.

So, I need to look at solutions that are more narrow. I've found a few options, but other than pricing, I am having a difficult time determining the pros and cons of them.

The older Williams System 85 wheels were based on a 21mm rim width, so they will fit fine.

The Profile Design Altair 80 also has a 21mm rim width, and will fit without an issue.

Another option may be a HED H3, though I understand that it's rim width may be so narrow that it interferes with my tire choices (I run a 23mm GP IIS on my training wheels currently).

Most of the options that I have found appear to be based on a rim width that, especially with a toroidal fairing shape, may not fit my frame.

Does anyone have any insight regarding my options?
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Wheel Question (Kestrel 4000SL frame) [wyhaines] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used both the HED Jet 9 and HED disc on the rear with no issues
tires: Conti GP4000s (can't recall size)

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Wheel Question (Kestrel 4000SL frame) [Multisportsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like the HED Jet 9 has a 23mm rim, but their specification doesn't show how much the fairing extends past that. I assume it must only be a couple mm, though, giving you a clearance of a couple mm on either side, correct?
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Wheel Question (Kestrel 4000SL frame) [wyhaines] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the kesrel 4000 2013, same frame, with a flo disc. No problems. Guess i am glad i went with the disc and not 90.
Anyhow, dud you try adjusting the rear dropouts? You know how you can slide the wheel firward or backward, adjusting the gap between the wheel and frame. Perhaps pulling the wheel away from seat stay will give you more clearence for the 90.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also run a HED Jet Disc on my 4000. In the past I ran a Mavic Ksyrium with a customized wheelcover. The HED is tight on the NDS chainstay where the disc skin bulges off of the brake track and the frame clearance seems the tightest. There is plenty of room on the drive side. You can tune the wheel position a bit with the dropouts to gain a little more room on the NDS. A Jet Disc Plus probably wouldn't fit too well, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Wheel Question (Kestrel 4000SL frame) [syrwxman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. I have the dropouts in their farthest outward position, but there is a very slight bulge in the fairing in one spot -- it's imperceptible when just looking at the wheel unmounted. When the tire is inflated, the pressure from it causes just enough of a shift in the fairing that I get a rub in a single spot. Makes me nervous about any wide rim/toroidal fairing because even the slightest imperfection would make it not fit given the tight fit, and even "inexpensive" wheels aren't inexpensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the 4000 LTD and am running a firecrest 808. Admittedly it's pretty tight. When I get some rubbing out of the saddle it's just the brake pads. And as you know the brakes on this thing are incredibly frustrating so I run them pretty open.

Also, if you happen to be taking your dropouts off you should file both of the plates on the inside a little bit. Not file them down but score them some. They are notorious for sliding around a little because both sides are smooth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you are talking about a bulge in the Flo wheel fairing? That seems to be a wheel problem. I run a Zipp 1080 and Sub 9 disc in my 4000 with no clearance issues. Sure its tight, but when the dropouts and brakes are properly adjusted you should have clearance for any wheel.
Last edited by: shredz2000: Jul 18, 14 6:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Kestrel 4000 and was going to try to get in on the next Flo order, so I'm glad you posted this. Just curious if you contacted the Flo guys and if they had any feedback. The Kestrel is not listed on their "tight fit" or "won't fit" list. (http://www.flocycling.com/...pic.php?f=4&t=12) If they don't have a solution for you, then they should at least update that list.
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Wheel Question (Kestrel 4000SL frame) [jeffa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started the conversation with Flo a couple weeks ago, but life got very very busy and am just now getting back to the issue. I need to mount the wheel back up to the bike to get pictures of the tight clearance and where it makes contact. To be clear, it isn't a rim or brake contact issue. The brakes are a little bit of a hassle to work with, but have plenty of room for adjustment. This is specifically an issue of having very tight spacing between the toroidal fairing and the frame. My dropouts do not move back any farther than where they are at now, so I have no more room to adjust that variable.

If, indeed, the very slight imperfection in the fairing (like I said, you can not see it when looking at the unmounted wheel, and it isn't particularly apparent on the mounted wheel until the tire is inflated) is an unreasonable manufacturing variation instead of a reasonable one, then I apologize. This is my first set of wheels of this type, and my assumption is that this degree of variation in the plane of the fairing would not be uncommon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think you have anything to apologize for. You haven't bad-mouthed Flo or their product in any way. If I were you, I would just want to see if Flo can resolve the problem before I plunked down money for a new wheel. Please keep us up to date on how it goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A Renn disc works great on the Kestrel. Better aero and it probably weights about the same as the Flo 90

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wyhaines wrote:
I started the conversation with Flo a couple weeks ago, but life got very very busy and am just now getting back to the issue. I need to mount the wheel back up to the bike to get pictures of the tight clearance and where it makes contact. To be clear, it isn't a rim or brake contact issue. The brakes are a little bit of a hassle to work with, but have plenty of room for adjustment. This is specifically an issue of having very tight spacing between the toroidal fairing and the frame. My dropouts do not move back any farther than where they are at now, so I have no more room to adjust that variable.

If, indeed, the very slight imperfection in the fairing (like I said, you can not see it when looking at the unmounted wheel, and it isn't particularly apparent on the mounted wheel until the tire is inflated) is an unreasonable manufacturing variation instead of a reasonable one, then I apologize. This is my first set of wheels of this type, and my assumption is that this degree of variation in the plane of the fairing would not be uncommon.

Have you gotten this resolved? I'd like to talk with you more if not. I'm 702-529-4744 if you'd like to call.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You didn't say it specifically, but you mean on the NDS chainstay, right? If so, loosen only the NDS screws for the dropout and push the leading edge of the wheel over just a tick until clearance is acceptable. It will never be as much clearance as the DS, but you shouldn't be rubbing. I have about 3/16"-1/4" at the tightest spot. Tighten the dropout screws to 10 N-m with moly lube on the threads. Confirm the clearance and then rock out. Adjusted like this the leading edge of my wheel is ever so slightly right of center (1/8"), but the tire is fully covered by the seat tube.

wyhaines wrote:
Quote Reply