Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Yet Another Thing To Be Terrified Of In Open Water
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Thing To Be Terrified Of In Open Water [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the nightmares.
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Thing To Be Terrified Of In Open Water [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Freaky dudes underwater taking pictures of my junk would indeed be unnerving.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was this in Mirror Lake, site of IMLP?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you know where this photo was taken, so that I make sure not to swim anywhere close to there?

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the jellyfish is really 6" long, and the shot is way closeup, with the scary thing in the forefield, and the diver is really a 6' tall dude, 20m away?

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Thing To Be Terrified Of In Open Water [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
So the jellyfish is really 6" long, and the shot is way closeup, with the scary thing in the forefield, and the diver is really a 6' tall dude, 20m away?

could be... or not...

Wikipedia wrote:
The lion's mane jellyfish (Cyanea capillata), also known as the giant jellyfish or the hair jelly,[1] is the largest known species of jellyfish. Its range is confined to cold, boreal waters of the Arctic, northern Atlantic, and northern Pacific Oceans. It is common in the English Channel, Irish Sea, North Sea and in western Scandinavian waters south to Kattegat and Øresund. It may also drift in to the south-western part of the Baltic Sea (where it cannot breed due to the low salinity). Similar jellyfish, which may be the same species, are known to inhabit seas near Australia and New Zealand. The largest recorded specimen found, washed up on the shore of Massachusetts Bay in 1870, had a bell with a diameter of 2.3 metres (7 ft 6 in) and tentacles 37.0 m (121.4 ft) long.

https://en.wikipedia.org/...n%27s_mane_jellyfish

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel sick. Ungh...

Also, I do a bunch of races over near Joe Maloy's hometown, in southern NJ. The jellyfish there—technically Portuguese Man-o-War and not really jellyfish—are all a lot smaller, and look less threatening... ... ...

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahh,thanx a lot. I didn't even swam relaxed in Malaysia last fall during vacation cause of seeing the smaller ones in spotlight at night.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Thank you very much...

Just add water...
Ju
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6121793#p6121793

Also found this clip on YouTube, taken on the IM Wales swim course:

Last edited by: WelshinPhilly: Apr 23, 17 16:07
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Thing To Be Terrified Of In Open Water [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Note to self; do not consider triathlons in Northern climes with ocean swims! Cold water is bad enough, but jelly fish big enough to make me an hors d'oeuvre is no water I want to swim in!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Thing To Be Terrified Of In Open Water [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
Note to self; do not consider triathlons in Northern climes with ocean swims! Cold water is bad enough, but jelly fish big enough to make me an hors d'oeuvre is no water I want to swim in![/quote

What are your other choices warm water lakes with brain-eating amoebas I'll take my chances with the jellyfish
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Thing To Be Terrified Of In Open Water [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
Note to self; do not consider triathlons in Northern climes with ocean swims! Cold water is bad enough, but jelly fish big enough to make me an hors d'oeuvre is no water I want to swim in![/quote

What are your other choices warm water lakes with brain-eating amoebas I'll take my chances with the jellyfish

From Jordan's Wikipedia post:
"Its range is confined to cold, boreal waters of the Arctic, northern Atlantic, and northern Pacific Oceans. It is common in the English Channel, Irish Sea, North Sea and in western Scandinavian waters south to Kattegat and Øresund. It may also drift in to the south-western part of the Baltic Sea"

So most Ironmans are OK by me, maybe not England or Wales, and definitely not Arctic waters. So, North America, South America, Asia, Southern Europe, etc. Just not cooooooooooooooooooooold water. BTW, the man who died at IM Texas did not succumb to a brain-eating amoeba ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was gonna say atleast th u aren't in Australia where I am in WA. But then it has cousins. Irakanji, crocs, bull and white sharks, now this. Duathlon ftw
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That doesn't terrify me at all.

Firstly, and most obviously, it's big enough to see and avoid if that is your preference.

Secondly "Most encounters cause temporary pain and localized redness" sounds like a pretty mild risk, even compared to the kinds of jellyfish one might encounter on any day at any beach near me.

What scares the crap out of me is this little fellow, the irukandji:

It is tiny and translucent - virtually invisible. They are found in tropical waters in northern Australia, but with global warming they are moving further south each season.

Every survivor of their sting describes it as the worst pain they have known by massive margin. Apparently the pain comes in successive and increasing waves. Just when the victim thinks that it can't get any worse, it does. Again and again until unconsciousness or death.

The pain is accompanied by psychological effects, usually described as a feeling of dread or impending doom. Most survivors say they begged for death or would have welcomed it.

Many "unexplained" deaths by heart failure while swimming, including a couple this year, are thought to be undiagnosed irukandji stings.
I'd prefer your big, cuddly Cyanea capillata any day.

Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Thing To Be Terrified Of In Open Water [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep,

Size doesn't matter.....

Bone Idol wrote:
That doesn't terrify me at all.

Firstly, and most obviously, it's big enough to see and avoid if that is your preference.

Secondly "Most encounters cause temporary pain and localized redness" sounds like a pretty mild risk, even compared to the kinds of jellyfish one might encounter on any day at any beach near me.

What scares the crap out of me is this little fellow, the irukandji:

It is tiny and translucent - virtually invisible. They are found in tropical waters in northern Australia, but with global warming they are moving further south each season.

Every survivor of their sting describes it as the worst pain they have known by massive margin. Apparently the pain comes in successive and increasing waves. Just when the victim thinks that it can't get any worse, it does. Again and again until unconsciousness or death.

The pain is accompanied by psychological effects, usually described as a feeling of dread or impending doom. Most survivors say they begged for death or would have welcomed it.

Many "unexplained" deaths by heart failure while swimming, including a couple this year, are thought to be undiagnosed irukandji stings.
I'd prefer your big, cuddly Cyanea capillata any day.
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Thing To Be Terrified Of In Open Water [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They don't kill most people, just a minority. They'll dope you up on morphines and antihistamines when treating you (just hope you're not somewhere remote...)

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We had this little fella off busselton today

http://www.watoday.com.au/...20170424-gvrbkc.html
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Thing To Be Terrified Of In Open Water [Blacky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep, im hoping for busso 70.3 duathlon haha

apparently there was a 10 foot white earlier that day too.
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Thing To Be Terrified Of In Open Water [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm an environmental scientist with a masters degree in marine bio.

There are much scarier things than lions mane out there. irukandji, the box jellies, are an example. Lucky for us, nothing out there is "out to get us". Just keep that in mind. Statistically, vending machines are deadlier than sharks.

Jellies are a unique case because they are among the simplist animals, evolutionarily speaking, and they just drift along at the mercy of the water column. They are fascinating though.
Quote Reply