Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Yesterday's ride in pictures (~25): Grimsel-, Furka-, Sustenpass Switzerland
Quote | Reply
Since I uploaded these already and I thought I would share with ST. There are quite few pictures so it might take a while to load.

These 3 alpine passes are located in the middle of Switzerland (roughly). The loop (below) is about 130km long and you end up doing about 3500-3600m of climbing.

I wanted to start this ride early so that I didn't have to spend the whole day in the sun. Alarm was set for 4:15 (having gone to bed at 11:45 - ouch). I arrived at Innertkirchen (today's start) at 7:10 after a 1:45hr drive. Not bad. The valley was still in the shade and cold (13degC).

Started out with my jacket on and headed up the first of the three passes, Grimsel. Here are some pictures from the way up - note how I'm still in the shade for most of them.

About half way up now. Behind me is a sign that says something like "The next 11km gain 800m".

Cyclists take the old roads instead of going through the tunnels.

The first dam - with the Grimsel Hospiz/Hotel in the middle.

Finally in the sun - a few km's from the top.

The last few 100m.

Nice views at the top.

Down the other side of Grimsel, OH YEAH. Heading to the junction in the middle.

View up Furkapass from the junction. You can just make out the roads on the right.

Half way up Furka looking back down at the junction. Grimselpass on the right.

Heading down Furkapass towards a town called Andermatt.

Andermatt at the end of Valley.

After the descent you follow the valley for what seems like forever to finally get to Sustenpass. A picture about 3km into the climb. Legs starting to hurt now.

Looking back down. About 15km to go.

Nearly there. It was at this stage that I ran out of Gel and water. It was so hot coming up Sustenpass. I stopped a few times to stick my head under/in some mountain streams.

Running on fumes I finally make it to the top. This is Steingletcher (Glacier) that is slowly shrinking. A shame.

There isn't a photo of the Sustenpass sign as I was suffering and made drink and food a priority when I got to the top. For those that care, the top is at 2259m.

Enjoying my coke and food looking down at the descent.

Looking back up at the Sustenpass after the long descent. Great.

On the way home.

Hope you liked the pictures.

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Last edited by: callidus: Jan 6, 10 10:30
Quote Reply
Re: Yesterday's ride in pictures (~25): Grimsel-, Furka-, Sustenpass Switzerland [callidus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What an beautiful place to be able to live & ride - you are making me very jealous!! Thanks for the pictures.
Quote Reply
Re: Yesterday's ride in pictures (~25): Grimsel-, Furka-, Sustenpass Switzerland [Ironmom1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazing beautiful!!

We are coming to Switzerland for the 70.3 next year! Looks so awesome! Cannot wait!
Quote Reply
Re: Yesterday's ride in pictures (~25): Grimsel-, Furka-, Sustenpass Switzerland [callidus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow - very beautiful! Scenery would help the burn some I'm sure :)

Quote | Reply
I am all of a sudden quite homesick. :-(
As you may know, I grew up near the Bodensee in Germany, so I know that area quite well. Each year when I fly home I actually fly into Zurich as it is the closest airport to my parents house.

Very, very nice pics.

Herbert

Litespeed / Quintana Roo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOVE your pix - just got back from 2 weeks in Switzerland - my son and I stayed in Grindelwald - did lots of hiking and swam every day in the sports center - and we were wondering what it is like to do a biking vacation.

How many miles per day did you ride?

I couldn't believe how easy it was to take a bike on a train there. It is so easy to get around. And so so gorgeous there. We really loved it.

Thanks for sharing your pix!!
Quote Reply
Re: Yesterday's ride in pictures (~25): Grimsel-, Furka-, Sustenpass Switzerland [peethreeguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 70.3 is in Rapperswil which isn't far from Zurich at all. I live just outside of Zurich so I figure it would take you about 1:45 - 2hr to get to these passes from Rapperswil - worth the effort if you have time.

Quote Reply
Re: Yesterday's ride in pictures (~25): Grimsel-, Furka-, Sustenpass Switzerland [west1745] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How many miles per day did you ride?
I live here so this was just a day trip for me :).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the 70.3 race like? Have you done that? Tell us more about the swim, bike and run!! Didn't realize that they have a 70.3 there - and also have been curious about the IM there as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Yesterday's ride in pictures (~25): Grimsel-, Furka-, Sustenpass Switzerland [west1745] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first 70.3 will be next year. There was a thread about it a while ago. Here....

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._string=70.3;#845941

It looks good. I think they have some pictures of the actual course up on the site now...

www.ironman.ch

http://www.70.3ironman.ch/...7_streckenplaene.htm

Last edited by: callidus: Jul 31, 06 5:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T-Racer and I spent part of our honeymoon in Switzerland (before we were triathletes) and these pics bring back great memories. Man, we need to go back with our bikes. Awesome.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

It looks good. ....

But very very expensive. The organizer will have a hard time proving that the race is worth the money they want for participating....

Simon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great pics, thanks for sharing! What an awesome place to do some biking.

~J

"luck is at the intersection of preparation and opportunity"

http://www.drinkmorecustomwater.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, stunning pictures. Thanks!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome pics. It's always cool to see pics of places where other people are working out. Beautiful.

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Re: Yesterday's ride in pictures (~25): Grimsel-, Furka-, Sustenpass Switzerland [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
herbert, why would you move from Bodensee area to Chattanooga. I love that area of Germany/Switzerland/Austia (small strip)...

Callidus. I did the Grimsel + Susten from Interlaken in 2004. I did Susten first came down to Meringen and then did Susten. One of the most incredible rides of my life. I liked it so much that 10 days later on my way home, I did the ride again. I wanted to do the full Interlaken-Meringen-Susten-Andermatt-Furka-Grimsel-Meringen-Interlaken loop, but each day, I was short on time. I'll have to wait a few more years for that one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Callidus. I will try and dig up my Grimsel-Susten photos from 2004, scan them and post tonite. This is what it is all about. Racing is overrated. It is all about the journey. I love the descent on the south side of Grimsel. The day I did it, it was clear sunny at the top and I plummeted into clouds and fog below!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Incredible! Thanks for sharing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Alarm was set for 4:15 (having gone to bed at 11:45 - ouch). I arrived at Innertkirchen (today's start) at 7:10 after a 1:45hr drive."

-Not that people in Switzerland are particularly concerned with punctuality, or anything...
;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Yesterday's ride in pictures (~25): Grimsel-, Furka-, Sustenpass Switzerland [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev, if you get a chance it would be cool if you could upload your pictures.

The ride you should do in this area is Innertkirchen-Grimselpass-Nufenenpass-Lukmanierpass-Oberalppass-Andermatt-Sustenpass. About 260km and 6620m of climbing. That's a long day in the saddle (I've never done it).

tom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you go down from Grimselpass all the way down to Brig before climbing up to Nufenenpass? Or are my bearings all messed up. That is an insane ride. There is enough vertical to go from sea level to Everest Base camp in one day!

I posted a pics from the Tour of Switzerland earlier this year on Furkapass when there was a lot more snow (mid June), but unfortunately, it degenerated to a Triyoda smackdown thread:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...shish%20paul;#860028
Quote Reply
Re: Yesterday's ride in pictures (~25): Grimsel-, Furka-, Sustenpass Switzerland [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, if you have a map handy you go down the Grimselpass to Ulrichen then up the Nufenenpass. Once to get to Airolo you can either head over the Gotthardpass to Andermatt (making the loop a 160km ride and 4970m climbing) or head along to Biasca then to Olivone and up over the Lukmanierpass to Disentis. From Disentis you go up and over the Oberalppass to Andermatt. That would be an epic bike ride.....maybe next year :).

I remember that post. Funny.

tom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, there is actually a 'race' on this course.

www.alpenbrevet.ch

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the pictures -- fantastic!

How many cars are on these roads? They seem pretty empty. How do the cars treat cyclists? I imagine they are much nicer to you there (especially when you are climbing one of those monsters).

Best wishes, great work.

mm
Quote Reply
Re: Yesterday's ride in pictures (~25): Grimsel-, Furka-, Sustenpass Switzerland [mullinsm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cars are not an issue on any of these roads. Surface is silky smooth. This is Switzerland..everything is perfect! When the Swiss do something, precision and attention to detail is 100%

Dev
Quote Reply

Prev Next