Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Xtri support question
Quote | Reply
Hi!

I'm thinking about applying for a draw in one of xtri (norseman/celtman/swissman) races for 2018, but I have a question that needs to be clarified before I apply.

It looks like that for some reasons I will not find friends/relatives who will be able to support me during the race.

What do you think, is it feasible to find a local person with car who has some experience and will provide necessary support?
Quote Reply
Re: Xtri support question [romanas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can always signed up and start dealing with the issue if you get a spot.

I have only been a support at Norseman, so my views are Norseman and Norway specific.

Being a support is a big job. Yes you can do it with one person, but i will recommend at least two.
Can you get local to do it. Yes, but then you should be willing to pay for they costs.
I am not saying it would be easy to get someone to help, but not impossible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Line up support before you apply. If you have a coach, see if you can pay their way. It's really had to handle all the logistics by yourself; you'll have to delegate so many tasks for pretty much half a year and get the training in to do these races. Support is critical to even finishing. Some can do it with one person, but as H suggested two folks to share support are better (one to drive, one to support you).

Watch just the last 2 years of the Norseman videos. In 2016 it was 34 degrees on the bike course and raining. 2017, 46 and raining for the entire back of the pack on the entire bike and run. Do you want a stranger trying to find if / where / what your cold weather gear is located after you've come down one of the bike mountains and you're shivering so hard that you can barely keep the bike on the road because you've induced speed wobbles? And try to dress you in the extra clothes?

Wait until you've got good support lined up and then apply.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know that you don't need a support crew for the Brutal (the one with Snowdon), you only need support for the double Brutal.
Quote Reply
Re: Xtri support question [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys, really appreciate your feedback.

I think I'll apply for a draw and in case of winning will contact organisers and ask to help on this matter.
Quote Reply