Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Xterra only to allow 27.5 and 29 wheels?
Quote | Reply
I just reviewed the race info package for Xterra West championship and found the bike rules stipulate 'Bicycle must have 27.5" or 29” wheels' . Has anyone experienced this rule/requirement in previous Xterra events?
I have a 26in wheel machine and do not want to show up and have issues.
Yes I have sent a request for more information into Xterra but yet to hear back so I thought I seek other racers experience
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra only to allow 27.5 and 29 wheels? [pontyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep us posted on what you find out. I'd love to give Xterra a try next year, but I'm on a 26er.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's for safety reasons. It was the same when I raced xterra.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra only to allow 27.5 and 29 wheels? [75000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have never heard of this in any Xterra race I've done, but then again, I'm on a 29".

Xterra races, even at their WC in Maui, are pretty much a run-what-you-brung affair and I've never seen or heard of anybody having any sort of bike checked for any sort of technical compliance.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra only to allow 27.5 and 29 wheels? [75000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
75000 wrote:
It's for safety reasons. It was the same when I raced xterra.

Why are 26s less safe?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not seeing this listed on other races in the series. Seems odd. I have a 29er so no big deal for me but it doesn't make sense.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra only to allow 27.5 and 29 wheels? [tgoguely] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently raced a local Xterra sanctioned event (Granite Bay, CA) and it is consistent with the comments, a relaxed approach with no bike inspection.
As for the safety aspect, I'll wait to see what response Xterra provides for the 27.5 -29 only but I would find it very hard to agree that the larger wheel size can be justified on safety grounds.
I understand the whoel physics aspects on larger wheels rolling over things more easily but ultimately the largest factor in safety is the rider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pontyman wrote:
I recently raced a local Xterra sanctioned event (Granite Bay, CA) and it is consistent with the comments, a relaxed approach with no bike inspection.
As for the safety aspect, I'll wait to see what response Xterra provides for the 27.5 -29 only but I would find it very hard to agree that the larger wheel size can be justified on safety grounds.
I understand the whoel physics aspects on larger wheels rolling over things more easily but ultimately the largest factor in safety is the rider.

I was working that race. Boy you were lucky this year the water was way warmer than normal.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That seems like a typo. The rule document for the 2015 series lists 26", 27.5", and 29" as allowed, and I expect there would've been a formal announcement of a significant rule change like that.

http://www.xterraplanet.com/...CompetitionRules.pdf

To echo others though, I've never noticed anyone checking equipment...except for one time at Charlottesville when the bike section was moved to the road for weather reasons, someone had a road bike in transition and the race director let them know that wasn't allowed.

Alex Modestou | Elite Off-Road Triathlete
On the web: Off-Road Adventures | Tweets
Supported by: Roots Hummus | Rotor Bike Components | Effetto Mariposa Sealants and Tire Accessories | ROKA Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra only to allow 27.5 and 29 wheels? [amodestou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
amodestou wrote:
That seems like a typo. The rule document for the 2015 series lists 26", 27.5", and 29" as allowed, and I expect there would've been a formal announcement of a significant rule change like that.

http://www.xterraplanet.com/...CompetitionRules.pdf

To echo others though, I've never noticed anyone checking equipment...except for one time at Charlottesville when the bike section was moved to the road for weather reasons, someone had a road bike in transition and the race director let them know that wasn't allowed.

Thank you Amodestou, you found the key document I was looking for- I looked and found the American Tour rule but missed the Competition rules.
I agree this is most likely a typo in the race info package- all the same I shall keep a copy of the rules with me at check-in just in case!

cheers
Clive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xterra races are usually pretty hard up for entries. I don't think they would bother anyone as long as they have the money for the entry fee.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra only to allow 27.5 and 29 wheels? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no safety difference between 26er and 29er. Whoever says there is has completely lost their mind.

Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
There is no safety difference between 26er and 29er. Whoever says there is has completely lost their mind.

tell that to all the downhillers running 26ers because they handle better! (somewhat counter to the xterra suggested relationship)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually sent a note to the team running the event, as I thought this was either the most awesome trolling of 26ers vs 29ers ever, or it had to be a mistake. Here is the word for word response I received on April 17th:

No... 26" bikes are allowed. Sorry for the confusion. I'll mention this to those responsible for that document. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Good to know people actually read that thing. Ha!
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra only to allow 27.5 and 29 wheels? [watson79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
watson79 wrote:
No... 26" bikes are allowed. Sorry for the confusion. I'll mention this to those responsible for that document. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

That could be confusing too if someone was reading it out loud:

No 26" bikes are allowed
No, 26" bikes are allowed

Commas are really important :)

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra only to allow 27.5 and 29 wheels? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right.......commas are important.

Let's eat, Grandma.

or

Let's eat Grandma.

Commas save lives!!!!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra only to allow 27.5 and 29 wheels? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I helped my uncle Jack, off a horse.

I helped my uncle Jack off a horse....

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra only to allow 27.5 and 29 wheels? [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Xterra only to allow 27.5 and 29 wheels? [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're into punctuation:

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra only to allow 27.5 and 29 wheels? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:

Commas save lives!!!!

They also prevent awkward party scenarios!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although off road wheel sizes are confusing, there is an attempt to prevent cyclocross bikes @ 700 cc from being used...quite an advantage...the industry is all over the place on standardization of wheel sizes...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing it was a mistake in writing the rules.

The basic rule is, you have to be on a mountain bike. No cross bikes allowed etc.

I would guess they forgot to add 26 when writing the rules.

But, give it a couple of years and it won't matter.

Jimmy Archer
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra only to allow 27.5 and 29 wheels? [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
japarker24 wrote:

Commas save lives!!!!

They also prevent awkward party scenarios!

Semi colon after Strippers in the second example.
We invited the strippers; JFK and Stalin.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra only to allow 27.5 and 29 wheels? [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for the responses.
As I started this thread I felt obliged to give the final outcome.
Rules update- The 26in was an omission- someone was kind enough to have them fix and update so rules were straightened out.

Xterra is relaxed- Consistent with other observations- this is Xterrra racign, far more relaxed than the road stuff, noone was checking wheel sizes- they did check and fix any missing barend plugs but that is safety.

The race: I raced my 2009 26in bike and it worked just great- there was one long deep sandy canyon section which the 29ers smoked me on- the 29in wheel is superior in deep sand (and or at least the riders were better than I in deep sand). Otherwise I posted a decent time for my age group.

One final note, if any of you are thinking of racing Xterra then get out and try it. After many years of racing IM and 70.3s of various organizations around the world Xterra is by far the most relaxed and fun group I have come across.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update. I'm racing my first Xterra in July after 3 years of doing 70.3's and IM. It's only a sprint, but I'm still super nervous as I know I have a long way to go with my mountain bike skills. I've been told it's one of the easier courses on the Xterra circuit, so I'm excited to give it try.
Quote Reply

Prev Next