Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Xterra Wetsuits backordered so badly it takes 7 months to deliver a suit???
Quote | Reply
Well, maybe this is the downfall of a non brick and mortar retailer. Placed an order for an Speedsuit in January that was noted as on backorder till the end of February. No problem, my race wasn't until end of May. Called back today as I hadn't heard anything (their website shows June for new Large Velocity suits), they tell me it is now back ordered until July! No email notice, nothing. To their credit they are willing to send something to try, even if it's the wrong size. So they are sending out two speedsuits the next sizes smaller to see if they will either fit, otherwise I'm SOL, or back to buying a different brand.

My buddy ordered a Vortex long sleeve in November and is now being told that is back ordered till JULY, that's 7 months from when he placed the order and he needed it for a race June 22. I don't think I can fault him for not planning ahead enough with the order.

Is there a worldwide shortage of neoprene?? I would think so, but they are able to get the smaller sizes out without a problem for some reason.

I want to be clear, they are saying all the right things when I talk to them. Trying to help any way they can, but when it comes to getting suits like these, we all know the only really helpful thing to hear is "yes, we will deliver your suit in time". The lack of information as to why everything size Med Long and above is FUBARed is just adding to the level of frustration. If it's going to be 7 months before you deliver a suit, just don't take the orders.

Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Wetsuits backordered so badly it takes 7 months to deliver a suit??? [agreif] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was my understanding that there was a strike from the workers in the factory that makes them (in china or wherever). Not totally sure that is right, but something must be off if they are that far off for completing an order.

I do love their suits though, but just buy on ebay instead!
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Wetsuits backordered so badly it takes 7 months to deliver a suit??? [agreif] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered the Vortex sleeveless back in January. It arrived at my doorstep within a week. I guess I was lucky!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's probably just the larger sizes. I ordered a medium on friday. Just got an email with tracking info.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Wetsuits backordered so badly it takes 7 months to deliver a suit??? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
It was my understanding that there was a strike from the workers in the factory that makes them (in china or wherever). Not totally sure that is right, but something must be off if they are that far off for completing an order.

I do love their suits though, but just buy on ebay instead!

strike with the shipping agencies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't even begin to imagine how much potential business they will lose this year because of those delays. I am in the market for a new suit and would be buying an Xterra because my old one was an Xterra and I like their product and customer service (and know my exact size). However, not having stock until July on my size is way too long to wait for a ship date. Furthermore, I would also be very concerned that the July ship date gets pushed out further and I really don't want my suit at the end of the tri season. Unfortunately those delays equate to a lot of lost sales from people like me who will simply buy elsewhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Wetsuits backordered so badly it takes 7 months to deliver a suit??? [sbsmann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I've been told, it's the MLO wetsuits that had the spike in orders this last year, hence the trouble keeping up. Like a few others have mentioned, sizes outside of that seem to be shipping pretty quickly otherwise.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Wetsuits backordered so badly it takes 7 months to deliver a suit??? [astig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
astig wrote:
It's probably just the larger sizes. I ordered a medium on friday. Just got an email with tracking info.
Same here on the size; I ordered mine recently and got it in less than a week.

It's easy to make excuses, but excuses don't make champions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's going to be 7 months before you deliver a suit, just don't take the orders.

As Emilo said, this is the perils of outsourcing so much of what we buy/use to production overseas. It seems more extreme in the sports specialty market, because we are talking very low volume (like micro) production runs compared to other high volume consumer goods.

I'm not making excuses here for Xterra - just generally commenting on the challenges for everyone in the business - this is not just a problem in wetsuits it's a problem as noted across the board in almost the whol sport specialty business! There are not warehouses with piles of this stuff waiting to be sold or liquidated. When there are mix-ups in production, that do happen from time to time, when you only make 600 units of something in a year and all 600 units are delayed . . . you get the picture. Also, when production is done for the year . . it's done for the year!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ordered a Vector Fullsleeve. Was told middle of May on the phone today. Mine was men's medium. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Wetsuits backordered so badly it takes 7 months to deliver a suit??? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
If it's going to be 7 months before you deliver a suit, just don't take the orders.

As Emilo said, this is the perils of outsourcing so much of what we buy/use to production overseas. It seems more extreme in the sports specialty market, because we are talking very low volume (like micro) production runs compared to other high volume consumer goods.

I'm not making excuses here for Xterra - just generally commenting on the challenges for everyone in the business - this is not just a problem in wetsuits it's a problem as noted across the board in almost the whol sport specialty business! There are not warehouses with piles of this stuff waiting to be sold or liquidated. When there are mix-ups in production, that do happen from time to time, when you only make 600 units of something in a year and all 600 units are delayed . . . you get the picture. Also, when production is done for the year . . it's done for the year!

To add to what Mr. Fleck added, the month of February is a month of stand still in most parts of Asia where these products are sourced. This puts production behind fairly significantly. No excuses here either, just some further perils of sourcing from overseas.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Wetsuits backordered so badly it takes 7 months to deliver a suit??? [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakers wrote:
Fleck wrote:

To add to what Mr. Fleck added, the month of February is a month of stand still in most parts of Asia where these products are sourced. This puts production behind fairly significantly. No excuses here either, just some further perils of sourcing from overseas.

jake

Also, to add it is needed that the suits be made overseas, with OSHA rules here preventing glue usage for the suits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well shit. I received a damaged one a few, now idk if i should send it back and get a new one or just have them fix it.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Wetsuits backordered so badly it takes 7 months to deliver a suit??? [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakers wrote:
Fleck wrote:

jake

While you guys bring up valid points, something seems off here. I can't imagine the worldwide demand for neoprene / wetsuits has exploded so dramatically that it is causing a 7 month backorder. And if there was such an explosion, others would be reporting similar shortages.

A few years ago (during H1N1), demand for thermometers exploded. Every factory in the world was at max capacity and no one could get enough product to the retail shelves. But it was 1) tied to a very specific event and NO ONE saw it coming, so forecasts across the board were off dramatically, and 2) it was universal to every supplier. Moreover, the backorder was about 3 months, max.

If Xterra's demand is so vastly outstripping their supply as to cause a 7 month backorder, it seems like something was either off in the forecasts or they are having supply issues.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Wetsuits backordered so badly it takes 7 months to deliver a suit??? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw the delay and ordered another brand. That's just way too long of a delay.

Re: Xterra Wetsuits backordered so badly it takes 7 months to deliver a suit??? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No excuses here.

There are lot's of brands out there. 2014 models hitting the shop floors now in good supply!

Lot's of opportunity to find a great suit!

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
jakers wrote:
Fleck wrote:

jake

While you guys bring up valid points, something seems off here. I can't imagine the worldwide demand for neoprene / wetsuits has exploded so dramatically that it is causing a 7 month backorder. And if there was such an explosion, others would be reporting similar shortages.

A few years ago (during H1N1), demand for thermometers exploded. Every factory in the world was at max capacity and no one could get enough product to the retail shelves. But it was 1) tied to a very specific event and NO ONE saw it coming, so forecasts across the board were off dramatically, and 2) it was universal to every supplier. Moreover, the backorder was about 3 months, max.

If Xterra's demand is so vastly outstripping their supply as to cause a 7 month backorder, it seems like something was either off in the forecasts or they are having supply issues.

It was already explained earlier about how this sort of thing happens. Its not a materials shortage.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Wetsuits backordered so badly it takes 7 months to deliver a suit??? [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This could be a blessing for you.

I have a vendetta suit: I can't put the damn thing on without a serious fear of ripping the thing to shreds. Every-time, I put it on there is a new tear somewhere (usually in the leg.

I've had two other wetsuits (2 different Orca models) and never had a single tear. With the vendetta, I seem to tear the rubber regardless of what I do. I even go so far as to wear gardening gloves so that my finger nails don't touch it, and only grabbing the underside of the suit. The thing still tears every-single-time! Argh!
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Wetsuits backordered so badly it takes 7 months to deliver a suit??? [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I understand what people have theorized...none of which seems to make sense. If it was a strike by shipping company, you use another. If it is just the MLO size, a 7 month BO doesn't add up.

I source products from Asia for a living. In fact, I am getting on a plane today in Hong. Kong to head home. I have a pretty good idea how the system works, which is why something seems off here.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't speak to what every manufacturer does, nor will I confirm that this is policy for anybody, us included... But companies don't order single sizes at a time. They consolidate orders to reduce shipping costs. The general delivery should be something around at least one full container. Shipments are scheduled way far in advance and agreed upon. When sales deviate from the forecast, it is very hard to move up shipments, when you are looking at around a 120 day order to deliver window.

Let's call this a "hypothesis".

As you likely know and understand, things don't happen the way they should on the regular. Things that can't be predicted or really even helped, other than to try to minimize mistakes and forecast the best that you possibly can.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Wetsuits backordered so badly it takes 7 months to deliver a suit??? [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm having the same problem with my vector pro. Did you figure out how to prevent that? How did you fix the tears?
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Wetsuits backordered so badly it takes 7 months to deliver a suit??? [Klatz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Vendetta gets small ones all the time. The neoprene is really soft. My X-Pro is just the opposite. Never gets cuts.

Aqua Seal at BassPro shop does the trick to fix them. Just open up the cut and use a toothpick to put the glue inside the cut. Close cut and seal with scotch tape. Good as new in the morning.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Wetsuits backordered so badly it takes 7 months to deliver a suit??? [Klatz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I fix the tears with the wetsuit glue. It does work well.

...I've tried everything to stop this suit from tearing.
I soak the suit in the spring to re-hydrate it (as per Emilo Desoto's recommendation).
I soak it in a bath tub a couple of days before the race.
I wear gloves to prevent finger nail cuts
I try pulling from the inside of the suit.

...Nothing has truly helped. Every-singe-time I put in on, there is a new cut, usually in the calf area:(.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ordered a ML sleeveless Vortex and a ML speed suit about a month ago. Got them both about a week later.
Quote Reply

Prev Next