Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Xterra
Quote | Reply
Over the past 5 years I have achieved many things in triathlon and in endurance racing. One thing that I have never thought much about is the world of Xterra and off-road endurance racing. I am coming to you here today to try and gather any advice, tips and maybe even some other blogs out there that may shed light into this world. I have done some research on Xterra racing, but come up empty handed. The world intrigues me and scares the hell out of me as well. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra [tri_kread23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's more fun.
It's more laid back.
It tends to be more self-selecting. While races are smaller, the front half is just as competitive. There aren't the same bucket listers filling out the middle and bottom of the field.
Every course is different, but the real MTB background folks will say that Xterra courses are easy, or at least more fitness-oriented than technically demanding. This is probably true.
You'll find a number of different schools of thought on equipment/bike setup, but the most important thing is ride lots. You need to be STRONG on the bike to do well, regardless of how technically savvy you are.
I've always found that rubbing off the mountain bike isn't nearly as bad as running off TT or road bike, perhaps because you're not static.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a mountain bike racing background before I switched to triathlon & ironman racing. Then I started racing Xterra off-road triathlon last year, well just one race each year, the Xterra Ontario which is also doubled as the Cross Triathlon Canadian Championships. The race offers 1 MAUI spot and 10 ITU Cross Tri worlds spots for each AG. So it's relatively easy to qualify for the ITU Cross worlds (I did for both year, but didn't go because of family commitment). If you love mountain biking, I would strongly recommend to try it out. Like the above slowtwitcher said, it's more laid back just like mountain biking community. I'm not a strong swimmer, so I found it's hard to move ahead in the mountain bike leg because of the singletrack section prevents you to pass the slower riders. Xterra or Cross Tri course is generally much shorter, and the effort to complete one is more comparable to that of an olympic distance tri.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xterra is far more laid back. Most of the MB courses are pretty tame depending on what state your racing in. Even here in Colorado, the courses can't really be considered difficult. You will find a variety of mountain biking skills at the races, just as you will see a variety of bike quality.

The trail runs are the same, some are solid trail runs some are simply rolling paths. You will not find a lot of good swimmers at Xterra's. If your a good swimmer and not a good biker, be prepared to have the faster bikers on your butt waiting for their opportunity to pass.

tri_kread23 wrote:
Over the past 5 years I have achieved many things in triathlon and in endurance racing. One thing that I have never thought much about is the world of Xterra and off-road endurance racing. I am coming to you here today to try and gather any advice, tips and maybe even some other blogs out there that may shed light into this world. I have done some research on Xterra racing, but come up empty handed. The world intrigues me and scares the hell out of me as well. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My advice (20+ Xterras 5x Worlds etc.) is pick one of the point series races that is relatively short, and go see how you like it. Just jump in and go for it. You should do a bit of MTB riding beforehand of course. But, if you have a "give a shit" attitude and just go through the motions you'll quickly figure whether it's going to be your deal or not. Chances are you are going to love it. If you get more serious, you can pick up a lot from other racers and maybe start training more specifically for the next one. As for comments about them being less competitive etc. I'd buy that at the points series level races, but most certainly not at the regional, national or world champs level. A lot of racers are dedicated almost exclusively to Xterra having forsaken road events and as such really bring it on race day. Another fun thing to consider is the Xterra trail run events. I've done several of them ,and they are a really great way to see pretty places racing "sane" trail distances instead of being sucked down the black hole that is Trail Ultras. Nothing wrong with Ultras, but you don't have to run 50 miles on them to enjoy yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll let everyone else tell you all the good parts about xterra. The dark secret that no one talks about, is that you might find you like riding a mountain bike so much that your other bikes sit forlornly in the storage shed collecting dust for most of the year.

Check out http://www.Alexmodestou.com. He's a slowtwitcher, and has some great posts and blog entries about getting into Xterra and what to expect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks @JClarkNZ for the shoutout. I do have a couple of posts specifically targeted for newcomers to Xterra. Everything said so far in this thread is on point. Xterra is a blast, and mountain biking is the biggest thing to focus on as a newcomer to the discipline. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Alex Modestou | Elite Off-Road Triathlete
On the web: Off-Road Adventures | Tweets
Supported by: Roots Hummus | Rotor Bike Components | Effetto Mariposa Sealants and Tire Accessories | ROKA Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra [amodestou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you be competitive with a hardtail or would it be more prudent to "buy once, cry once" and get a full suspension bike? Are there any particularly beginner friendly races you'd recommend?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tip if you have not spent a lot of time on a MTB is get in some training with a good group or instructor on the basics. It is a blast and the small corrections and confidence you can get from someone with experience will help with the learning curve. This will also help in not being scared of it. A lot depends on where you live and will be racing that will drive the conditions (e.g. lots of climbing, lots of mud, lots of rocks, heat, humidity, etc.).

The other thing that is fun is the training is so different from IM. Less volume and higher intensity, so much easier to balance but it also depends on how far you have to drive to MTB trails.

You won't regret trying it!

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great advise already provided above. Couple things to add

MTB- regardless of what bike you use(full suspension or hardtail) get tubeless tires. Using tires at 25-30psi provides a lot more control and comfort.

Run- depending on the trail I think having the ability to use the glutes to lunge over rooty and rocky sections can save u from having to really slow down for those sections. Not a skill most of us coming from road tri usually have:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alex, great blog and thanks for being a sounding board. I've been interested in trying an Xterra race as well and have a few questions. I used to MTB quite a bit while living in Austin. Now living in southern Louisiana I really don't have trails readily available. I don't want to invest a huge sum on a new bike so I thought this one would suffice. What immediate upgrades would you recommend, if any?

In an earlier post someone mentioned if you are a strong swimmer be ready to be passed a lot. I think it's a given I will be passed quite a bit on the bike. What is the etiquette during the race? Do I pull over and come to a complete stop or is it the passing riders responsibility to wait for an opportunity?

In looking at the series of races there are none really close to me but a few in Texas. Have you done or know anyone who has done the Magnolia Hill Ranch race? It mentions being a good trail system for all levels of riders.

Thanks for any feedback you might have.
Trav

Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for all the great tips and insight into the world of xterra. I am a pretty strong swimmer, usually front of the pack and middle of the pack with Bike and Run when it comes to road. I have taken this summer and focused a lot on MTB riding and just having a lot of fun with the different style of riding.

One big are that comes to mind when I think of xterra is the fueling aspect of the races. Recently when riding in the woods, I have thought about fueling plans while racing particularly on the bike and getting enough fuel to get me through the run. I think about taking my hands of the bike to take in a gel or drink of something and next thing I know is I am of the trail. Now I know this will all come in due time when i begin to become more comfortable riding on trails etc. I mean don't get me wrong I am drinking water and stuff on my rides now, just feel like i don't drink as much in the woods as I do on the road.

Does anyone have any fueling tips, not so much as to what you take in but really HOW you take it in, do you carry a camelBak use gels etc?

I am more pumped about giving this a shot more after ready how laid back it is and how much positive feedback everyone is giving towards Xterra.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri_kread23 wrote:

Cheers!

It's really simply, learn to ride a mountain bike.

All the important aspects of tri remain the same - except that handling a mtn bike is a skill that must be practiced.

Proud Representative of Slowtwitch Anti-Atheists Society.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra [jclarkNZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jclarkNZ wrote:
I'll let everyone else tell you all the good parts about xterra. The dark secret that no one talks about, is that you might find you like riding a mountain bike so much that your other bikes sit forlornly in the storage shed collecting dust for most of the year.

Check out http://www.Alexmodestou.com. He's a slowtwitcher, and has some great posts and blog entries about getting into Xterra and what to expect.

x2 on the other bikes sitting quietly in the garage while the new mtb gets taken out to beautiful places. Mileage is low, heart rate, effort, and fun factor high. Thinking about Xterra racing but that's as far as it's gotten.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra [travisml] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis, there are three upgrades I strongly recommend and wish I'd taken advantage of sooner:

1. Invest in skills instruction. This will pay off far beyond what any equipment upgrades.

2. Get a dropper post; it will improve your riding experience more than any other piece of equipment.

3. Ride with flat pedals (except for racing) to reinforce proper MTB technique.

Regarding passing etiquette, the passing rider should call out "on your left", and wait for a safe spot to pass. The rider being passed should yield the trail as soon as it is safe to do so, whether by slowing down and scooting over or pulling off the trail. Usually, the rider being passed doesn't have to come to a complete stop if the trail is wide enough.

Not sure about the Magnolia Hill race, I'd recommend getting in touch with the race director to get more info. The RD's for local Xterras are great folks.

Supported by: Roots Hummus | Rotor Bike Components | Effetto Mariposa Sealants and Tire Accessories | ROKA Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri_kread23, at Xterra events, you'll see a good mix of racers using bottles and camelbacks, it's really a personal preference. You tend to drink more with a Camelback, but it can get hot and be a bit of a nuisance if you're moving around a lot on the bike.

I stick with bottles and pre-cut packages of energy chews taped to the top tube.

The key is to scout out safe spots to eat and drink when pre-riding race courses. I've yet to encounter an Xterra course without enough spots where it's was safe to take a hand off the bars to eat and drink.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
amodestou wrote:
Travis, there are three upgrades I strongly recommend and wish I'd taken advantage of sooner:

1. Invest in skills instruction. This will pay off far beyond what any equipment upgrades.

2. Get a dropper post; it will improve your riding experience more than any other piece of equipment.

3. Ride with flat pedals (except for racing) to reinforce proper MTB technique.

Regarding passing etiquette, the passing rider should call out "on your left", and wait for a safe spot to pass. The rider being passed should yield the trail as soon as it is safe to do so, whether by slowing down and scooting over or pulling off the trail. Usually, the rider being passed doesn't have to come to a complete stop if the trail is wide enough.

Not sure about the Magnolia Hill race, I'd recommend getting in touch with the race director to get more info. The RD's for local Xterras are great folks.

Do you really use a dropper post that much at XTERRA events? For example, in Alabama...I'm assuming if you used it, it was only in one spot (if you rode Bloodrock)...?
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra [travisml] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travisml wrote:
Alex, great blog and thanks for being a sounding board. I've been interested in trying an Xterra race as well and have a few questions. I used to MTB quite a bit while living in Austin. Now living in southern Louisiana I really don't have trails readily available. I don't want to invest a huge sum on a new bike so I thought this one would suffice. What immediate upgrades would you recommend, if any?

In an earlier post someone mentioned if you are a strong swimmer be ready to be passed a lot. I think it's a given I will be passed quite a bit on the bike. What is the etiquette during the race? Do I pull over and come to a complete stop or is it the passing riders responsibility to wait for an opportunity?

In looking at the series of races there are none really close to me but a few in Texas. Have you done or know anyone who has done the Magnolia Hill Ranch race? It mentions being a good trail system for all levels of riders.

Thanks for any feedback you might have.
Trav

Trav,
Feel free to PM me about Xterra Texas series and I can give you email. I did all the races except Bluebonnet this year and last year was my first time trying these events. The race director is awesome, the people are great (usually no issuing passing or being passed - and most of the time you don't stop), and the fast guys and girls are really fast. I am mid pack and have an awesome time, even going to Nationals in a couple weeks with a few friends.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My experience was awful. We had heavy rain that turned the course into really sticky mud. My drive train became pretty much inoperable from mud and little sticks. There were times that I could ride in one gear, other times the rear wheel would not even turn as I dragged the POS around the course. I very nearly threw the bike into the lake. I don't know how to practice for mud because my local trail does not want people on it when it is wet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say give it a go. You've received a lot of great advice.

I'm doing my first XTerra since 2003 Keystone, CO this weekend. XTerra Fruita. Watching the video of the bike course it looks pretty fast with nothing overly technical. Really looking forward to it! Should be a fun weekend of camping right at the race venue.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James, I use the dropper post all the time. You really only need the seat jacked up like a road bike for pedaling sections. Otherwise it's nice to drop the post to be in a low, attack position, especially for corners and technical terrain. Try riding a pump track with your seat all the way up and then ride it with the seat slammed down and you'll notice a big difference in your ability to gain free speed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't think I've ever seen a pro use a dropper post at Xterra in my 12 years of doing them. I've never felt the need and I've won my share of races. Not that they're bad, but are they necessary? Xterra is like tame XC racing - you won't see any XC pros using them.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra [tmonica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The guy posting above you is a pro.
Conrad Stoltz, who is pretty much the godfather of off-road triathlon, uses one.
Come to think of it, that's on my to-buy list before next season.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I guess I haven't seen him in the results or at a race - but I did check online and see that he was the overall AM at Richmond in 2013, so I agree he's fast.. I know Conrad well, and if he's using a dropper it's a recent change. Anyway, that's fine. I respect Alex's opinion, but I still think my comments are valid that a dropper is not really necessary at most Xterra's. Out here in the West you don't even need a full suspension bike. But that's just my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra [tmonica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tmonica, hope to see you at some Xterra events.

As recently a 6 or 7 years ago, most top racers were still on hardtail 26" bikes with 80mm of travel; change is happening fast.

Just last week, all of the top three guys in the XC world championship last week rode full-suspension mountain bikes. In Xterra as well, all of the top guys and most of the top ladies ride full-suspension, even on climbing intensive courses in Colorado, Utah, and Maui.

As dropper posts get more reliable, I think "short travel" versions will take root in XC and Xterra racing. But I admit, this is a very new school of thought.

Last edited by: amodestou: Sep 11, 15 17:38
Quote Reply

Prev Next