Quote | Reply
What r people thoughts on this

https://www.kickstarter.com/...smart-shi?ref=a4ebnn

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: Xshifter universal wireless shifting [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely interested if I can figure out how to mount it cleanly on the aerobars.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Xshifter universal wireless shifting [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have a stretch goal for TT shifters, and it looks like they'll probably hit it. This setup would definitely make aero testing easier.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598276649/xshifter-worlds-first-universal-wireless-smart-shi/posts/1739969
Quote Reply
Re: Xshifter universal wireless shifting [willhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I was thinking it more - and the way those shifters attach to the frame has to be pretty horrendous from the aero penalty perspective....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These new TT shifters were just announced today, so you might be thinking of the older ones. These ones would extend from the bar-ends like any TT shifter, so I don't think it would be a penalty. Of course, it's hard to know the ergonomics without trying it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're thinking of remotes - I meant the shifters that get cabled to the derailleurs.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, I gotcha. Yeah, we'll have to see how well they can be mounted to be out of the way. My guess is that it can't be a huge penalty, given how low to the ground they are and in a more turbulent area in general.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i recommend investing your life savings in any and all kickstarters.

nothing could ever go wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For people still running 8 or 9spd, Xshifter combined with a new cassette, chain and chain rings would be a path to 10 or 11spd!

People with 10spd wheels can run 11spd with a specialty cassette and lock ring.
http://powertap.com/...t/monoblock-cassette

I backed the project on the second day, and can not wait for it to arrive!
http://xshifter.com

-Steve

Quote Reply
Re: Xshifter universal wireless shifting [spaltzer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It'll work with SRAM Eagle cassettes as well. I think the versatility is a huge bonus. But, the ability to totally change the front end of the bike without having to mess with cables is the biggest TT benefit IMHO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might someday be interested if it ever makes it to retail.
Quote Reply
Re: Xshifter universal wireless shifting [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone here for supporting our product. Yes, we are planning to make a TT specific remote. The prototype you see is just a prototype. We need to work out the ergonomics a little. I'd really appreciate any and all feedback from you on what you would like. As has already been pointed out here, this system will function with any drivetrain. You can make your own hybrid. Mix and max brands of derailleurs. Doesn't matter.

One thing we are considering is an "aero" version of the XShifter. Or possibly even an aero cover for it. Even though its very small, TT bikes need to shave even the smallest amount of wind resistance. Is that something that would be of interest?

Any questions feel free to contact me personally, or visit our Kickstarter page for more details. Thanks!

https://www.kickstarter.com/...l-wireless-smart-shi
Quote Reply
Re: Xshifter universal wireless shifting [Paul Gallagher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the ergonomics are hard to picture without using it, but I think that in general people put their hands around the bar end shifters and try to tap the buttons with their thumb or fingertips. Depending on the hand position this could mean having the buttons facing upward are you do in your demo (probably if the arms are more traditionally flat) or having the buttons face inward like a Di2 shifter (which I think would be nice for a praying mantis type position). I think the current prototype would work for either position, but there might be accidental button pushing with the way the buttons extend all the way to the edges of the unit, if that makes sense.

In terms of an aero shield for the servos, that would be cool. Maybe using CFD?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the tribike ideally you want to have access to shifters from the ends of the aerobars and the bullhorns. That'd be the best combo.
And yes - making an aerocover for the xshifters (especially the one that works with the RD, since it is a really turbulent area of the frame) would be great.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think a single button Xremote would be great for aero bars, or a mount anywhere modular single button like SRAM does with their "blips".
Quote Reply
Re: Xshifter universal wireless shifting [spaltzer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This looks super interesting but I would wait until it is proven before I put my money down. The sequential shifting is an awesome feature that I can't believe we don't have yet. For those that are afraid of an unexpected chainring change how about a pair of LEDs, left one lit up means next downshift will cause a drop to the small ring, right one light up means next upshift will change to the big ring.

Didn't I read somewhere that Shimano has a patent on auto trim? (Seems like it is too obvious to patent to me)

I didn't see an option for a second remote? I'm guessing you just program the derailleur you are using so it knows how much cable to pull per click? So an easy way to use a mountain bike derailleur on a road bike for a wide range 1X setup?

spaltzer wrote:
For people still running 8 or 9spd, Xshifter combined with a new cassette, chain and chain rings would be a path to 10 or 11spd!

People with 10spd wheels can run 11spd with a specialty cassette and lock ring.
http://powertap.com/...t/monoblock-cassette

I backed the project on the second day, and can not wait for it to arrive!

-Steve

One sticking point for an 11 speed upgrade for me is a new freehub body is $100. But that cassette is over $200, way more than a freehub body upgrade plus a ultegra cassette (and it's a part that wears). If you are doing a super high end build I can understand it but at that point I don't think the cost of changing the freehub body would be an issue. (unless possibly you have a wheel that can not be upgraded or multiple wheels?)
Quote Reply
Re: Xshifter universal wireless shifting [Anachronism] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anachronism wrote:
This looks super interesting but I would wait until it is proven before I put my money down. The sequential shifting is an awesome feature that I can't believe we don't have yet. For those that are afraid of an unexpected chainring change how about a pair of LEDs, left one lit up means next downshift will cause a drop to the small ring, right one light up means next upshift will change to the big ring.

Didn't I read somewhere that Shimano has a patent on auto trim? (Seems like it is too obvious to patent to me)

I didn't see an option for a second remote? I'm guessing you just program the derailleur you are using so it knows how much cable to pull per click? So an easy way to use a mountain bike derailleur on a road bike for a wide range 1X setup?

They will have a store where backers can get a second remote at the kickstarter prices, and he said that you can program the cable pull via the app for any type of derailleur (such as a MTB RD as you said).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
willhs wrote:
Anachronism wrote:

They will have a store where backers can get a second remote at the kickstarter prices, and he said that you can program the cable pull via the app for any type of derailleur (such as a MTB RD as you said).

Correct, we will sell spare remotes and other accessories on an estore. I see the big advantage for TT is not having to deal with wires or cables when packing the bike. And eliminating excess wind drag from those cables and wires. And it is a little lighter than other systems. I'm working on better ergonomics for remotes for the aerobars. I'm not a TT rider myself, so I'm getting some guidance from backers that are really passionate about this product. I think this will develop into something very nice. Hope more of you guys will support us!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, changing the front end, particularly changing the extensions, is a major pain with a traditional cable system. You have to completely take it apar and pull out the painfully internally routed cable. With this system it will be much easier to do aero testing. You could do true A/B/A/B testing of different extension angles, for example. You can't really do this with a cable system, though you could with etap.

See the main page on Slowtwitch for an article on the benefits of dialing in a position (many of us already know that stuff), and I think the benefits outweigh any increased drag on the drive side lower rear triangle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone that has supported our Kickstarter project. We've realized that we underestimated the importance of TT bikes. So even though we have not met our stretch goal for the TT remote we are going to go ahead with it anyway. And we will be redesigning the remote to make it more aerodynamic and attractive. We initially just repackaged the MTB remote to save cost, but it just doesn't look right. Expect a big improvement coming soon. And we have a few other surprises coming. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh that is awesome news! Thanks, Paul. I'm really looking forward to this.
Quote Reply
Xshifter's KickStarter finally - 32 hours left! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

http://bit.ly/xshiftercamp
Quote:
This project will be funded on Sat, Dec 3 2016 9:05 AM CST.

Still time to order yours!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the water bottle mount going to be included with the xshifter and xremote or will that be a separate add-on? If it is not included any idea of the cost and when it will be available?
Quote Reply
Re: Xshifter universal wireless shifting [ludlaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We will probably give a choice of 2 mounting options included. They will also be available on the eStore later. Haven't set retail price but they won't be expensive. Will be available same timing as XShifter in late March.
Quote Reply
Still available & ANT+ support! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Miss-out on the Kickstarter campaign? Looks like you can pre-order via email at the same pricing levels.

Quote:
Pre-order now!
info@xshifter.com
available from $199

ANT+ support planned with firmware upgrade!
https://www.kickstarter.com/...rt-shi/posts/1754884
Quote:
We are pleased to say that the XShifter will be ANT+ compliant. For initial software release it probably won’t have any functionality, but the hardware will be in place. It will take a little negotiating with companies like Garmin to get us connected. The system will be firmware upgradeable by mobile device so we can add features as we go.
Cheers,
-Steve
Quote Reply

Prev Next