Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Xolair
Quote | Reply
I've been struggling with allergies/asthma for a while, and the last few weeks have been particularly bad - I've gone from being in arguably the best shape of my life (1:26 open half marathon) to not being able to race without walk breaks when the pollen is high.

I'm currently on Advair 250/50, Qvar 80, a budesonide nasal rinse, Singulair, Clarinex (a RX version of Claritin), Zantac, and an albuterol rescue inhaler (all of these are legal in competition under the doping regs in the amounts I take them). I also have been getting regular allergy shots for the past year.

[in the past, I've tried Claritin, Zyrtec, Allegra, Benadryl, Symbicort, and Dulera, plus local honey, quercitin, frequent showering, air filters, etc.].

I'm also currently on a five day burst of prednisone to calm down an asthma flare. (obviously, I won't race until I'm off of it).

My doctor and I agree that I'm maxed out on the asthma and allergy meds. And prednisone is not an acceptable long term solution, both because I can't legally race on it and because of the side effects.

So, the next step is to try Xolair - an anti-IGE antibody injection given by my doctor once a month. Supposedly it stops the allergic reaction at a very early stage.

I'm interested to know if others on this forum have tried Xolair, and what their experiences have been. A search for it on this forum has only revealed one brief mention. I'm appreciative of anyone willing to share their thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: Xolair [darkwave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was on xolair for 5 years. Prior to that I too had the gambit of medicines and allergy shots, but couldn't get my asthma controlled. I had no adverse reactions to the xolair.

After taking it for 5 years, I was able to
Stop all my shots, allergy and xolair, as well as my nose sprays and singular.

That was 4 years ago. I have had not one issue since with my asthma.
Quote Reply
Re: Xolair [dixbry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much - that is reassuring to read.
Quote Reply