Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

XTR Di2 Hack? 1x11? Anyone?
Quote | Reply
With the wide range XX1 and XTR cassettes, has anyone tried a 1x11 setup with road gearing? Would the larger chainring in front blow out the capacity of the rear derailleur? Seems like you could hack the XTR Di2 shifter, use the wide range (10-42) cassette, and a 50t-55t in the front and end up with a wider gearing range than 2x10, and get to ditch the front derailleur and all the cables and housing.

Has anyone tried this yet?

I think TriRig mentioned something awhile ago but I haven't seen anywhere whether this will actually work and I'm ready yet to waste $800+ to find out on my own...
Quote Reply
Re: XTR Di2 Hack? 1x11? Anyone? [renolaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renolaw wrote:
With the wide range XX1 and XTR cassettes, has anyone tried a 1x11 setup with road gearing? Would the larger chainring in front blow out the capacity of the rear derailleur? Seems like you could hack the XTR Di2 shifter, use the wide range (10-42) cassette, and a 50t-55t in the front and end up with a wider gearing range than 2x10, and get to ditch the front derailleur and all the cables and housing.

I think TriRig mentioned something awhile ago but I haven't seen anywhere whether this will actually work and I'm ready yet to waste $800+ to find out on my own...

Does anybody here actually have XTR Di2?

*crickets*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're running a single chainring, its size is irrelevant to whether your rear derailleur has enough travel to handle the cassette. Rather, it just dictates how long of a chain you need. However, a 10-42t cassette would definitely require a long-cage rear derailleur. Right now, Shimano already makes a mid-cage Di2 11-speed derailleur: the Ultegra RD-6870-GS. It lets you use 11-32t cogs with a double, but would *probably* work with the 10-42t cassette with a single ring up front. Otherwise, if you'd be content with, say, 11-32t and 50t up front (I am), you can run the standard RD and a single ring. I have that on my P2 right now, and it's rad. The other benefit of single ring is it simplifies your shifting decisions to a simple "up or down" and therefore eliminates the need to ever look back at your drivetrain.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: XTR Di2 Hack? 1x11? Anyone? [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
However, a 10-42t cassette would definitely require a long-cage rear derailleur.

the new XTR GS RD (M9000 / mechanical) will work with the 11-40 cassette; i'm using one. a friend has used it with a 10-42 cassette, too.

capacity of the RD-M9000-GS is stated as 37T by shimano (typically conservative), so no issue with 10-42 in a 1x setup there. the max cog size is listed as 40T....but again shimano is conservative; to a degree this depends on geometry.

the RD-6870-GS has a capacity of 37T, too, but only handles a stated maximum of a 32T cog -- so although conservative i doubt 11-40 or 10-42 would work.

GS is typically referred to as "medium cage" with SGS as "long cage", but some people use "GS" to mean "long cage" and "SGS" as "super-long cage".

in other words, a GS / medium cage should work for just about any 1x setup in terms of capacity....but the geometry of the road derailleurs is a bit different from the MTB derailleurs. as short a cage as possible is desirable for a few reasons.

i know of one person who has an RD-M9050, but he's very well connected and supply even to those in the industry is VERY tight right now. probably a few months before we start seeing them show up for consumers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
renolaw wrote:

it will work regardless of the size of the front ring, but it's a matter of getting your hands on RD-M9050-GS. it'll be a while before you can (easily) do so--probably looking at january.

as a bonus, it is a clutch RD, so chain retention will be a bit better--you may get away without an inner catcher or outer guard. with my 1x MTB setup (XTR mechanical), i do not use any guard/catcher, but i do have a clutch RD and a narrow-wide front ring. with my 1x cross setup, i use a road RD (RD-9070-SS)...along with a catcher and guard.

a TT bike, in theory, will be subject to less bouncing around and less chance to drop a chain.

if you're going 1x, you may strongly want to consider a narrow-wide ring. not sure if you can find them in >=50T yet; i haven't checked. you'll need an even # of teeth, regardless.

you want the shortest cage you can possibly run; it will reduce chainslap and improve shift quality, esp with a wide-range cassette.
Quote Reply
Re: XTR Di2 Hack? 1x11? Anyone? [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wolf Tooth just released a 50t narrow/wide ring. 5 bolt, so won't work with the new Shimano crank.

50 is a little too tall for me. Also seems like a big selling point of di2 is the front shifting. I have SRAM 1x10 on my CX/commuter with a 44t front ring. 11-28 is ALMOST enough for everything. For real climbs near me (Old la Honda, King's Mtn) I would want 11-32.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
renolaw wrote:

The 50t x 10t is overkill but a 1 x 11s road bike is certainly an option if you're willing to give up reasonable gaps between shifts (bad idea for road/steady state riding) or limit you're willing to change the chainring to suit the ride of the day.

I think a 52t with 11-23t would be fine for most of the races I do but on my daily rides I use a 52/36t and 12-27t and use every gear combination on just about every ride.
http://www.specialized.com/...nge-lunch-race#specs

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: XTR Di2 Hack? 1x11? Anyone? [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
the RD-6870-GS has a capacity of 37T, too, but only handles a stated maximum of a 32T cog -- so although conservative i doubt 11-40 or 10-42 would work.

So I've got the 6870 on my new road bike with an 11-32. Admittedly that's a good amount of gearing but there were some spots in Italy last month when the 32 might not have been enough (15+ percent sections). Where does one find an 11 speed 37T cassette? Next year I'll be in Spain with some more super steep climbing.
Quote Reply
Re: XTR Di2 Hack? 1x11? Anyone? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look for a 11-36 mtb cassette and switch you rear derailleur also
Quote Reply
Re: XTR Di2 Hack? 1x11? Anyone? [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The wide range cassette would make that 50t pretty easy in 50/42, and the 50/10 would be the same as a 55/11. Nice top end and low end if the ratios are there in the middle too. I think the 2t gaps are the biggest question for me, how does the commuter ride with the wider range in the middle of the cassette?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Subscribing considering I can get the same ratio with a 50/40 as I can with a 34/28. Would love to get rid of that front deraileur sail!
Quote Reply