Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

XTERRA MTB Type
Quote | Reply
next year I would like to compete in a number of XTERRA offroad triathlon events. What type of bike should I buy? Soft or hardtail?

I know that I should purchase a bike with race geometry (vs a more relaxed recreational geometry). I'm mainly concerend with purchasing a soft or hardtail MTB. What are the pros on, what type of bike is winning the national championship year to year?

Anything else I should consider in my bike purchase?

Thank you all!!
Quote Reply
Re: XTERRA MTB Type [bikingman1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considerations are
1. Full suspension vs. Hardtail
2. Wheels size 26 vs. 27.5 vs. 29
3. Components/wheel set
4. Frame material

That said for a male of average height get a good Hardtail 29er. Shorter money than a comparable fs rig and if you really get into it you'll get an fs rig down the road and hang onto the Hardtail as a backup/ spare bike.

Oh yeah and I have a medium Niner Hardtail for sale in the classifieds if your interested.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much money do you have to spend?

If you aren't planning on spending more than 2K then buy a 29er hardtail (if you are over 66 inches tall)

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am leaning towards this being a troll as it seems like there have been a lot of these posts lately. Your best bet is to type Xterra in that search box up and to the right. Lots of good information about bikes....a lot of it from very recent posts.
Quote Reply
Re: XTERRA MTB Type [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'2" looking to spend about 1500, though my purchasing power is a little higher because I'm able to get 40% off MSRP on Specialized bikes.

I'm thinking of the Stumpjumper HT Comp 29, looss like a solid race bike to me. Though I wonder how much fast I'd be with a FS... if at all.

I have experiencing MTBing - seasoned cross rider and former cat 1 MTBer (that was almost 5 years ago now) ... so I feel oook in the trails
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dude, have a look at this and realize everything that is wrong with the mtb world....

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/...326/p5pb11235326.jpg

beyond that DO NOT google "transition dirtbag", and "cannondale carbon scalpel" if the fear of realizing that your bike is not holding you back is holding you back
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Sep 20, 14 14:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a nice bike for the money. The fork may be a little weak for a cat 1 mountain biker but it's fine.

You'll find a lot of bikes of that quality in that price range. It gets to be a matter of opinion.

Personally if I was looking for a 29er I'd be looking at Niner bikes

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: XTERRA MTB Type [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
dude, have a look at this and realize everything that is wrong with the mtb world....

Can't follow what you're trying to say. What am I missing that is in this pic?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if it is real rooty and technical, the suspension can allow you to keep the power on better through the really crappy sections. It's heavier, so you lose some time on the climbs. The pivots wear out fairly quickly and can be a pain to find and replace, plus it's another shock to service.

the 29er hard tail will soak up bumps a bi better than a 26 with the higher volume tires. The wheels are heavy and sluggish to accelerate though.

I have a 25 pound carbon 26 wheel FS bike, if it's not too hilly I'm as fast as I was on my 26 inch 21 pound bike and my body is less beat up. I enjoy riding it more so I do more riding in the woods, which has helped my bike handling.

If the courses for xterra are pretty easy (our is here in westen ny) then a lightweight 26 inch hardtail is tough to beat for the money. For a rolling technical course, a singlespeed 29er hardtail can be just as fast as anything else and it's easy to get a 20 pound bike for a low price.
Quote Reply
Re: XTERRA MTB Type [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
lacticturkey wrote:

Can't follow what you're trying to say. What am I missing that is in this pic?

yes, that is the correct answer... the only thing you are missing is egg beater pedals and a specialized carbon toupe saddle ....and a darkspeed pack /end thread
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Sep 20, 14 15:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike looks good. But can't quite tell what kind. Got a link?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even at 40% off I don't think you are going to be happy with the fork and components on the Ht Comp. If you were a beginner mtb'er I would say go for it. Since this is for next year, take your time and keep an eye on eBay and Craigslist. You should be able to get a good deal over the next few months.

What xterra races are you planning? IMO, no need for FS in the SE. As a CAT1 you'll be at the tippy top in Xterra no matter what you ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what's wrong with the picture? It looks like some really expensive high end bike that few people actually buy to smash around in the woods. I want a $10,000 bike to use for this kind of crap?

Quote Reply
Re: XTERRA MTB Type [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this one is felt nine frd

http://reviews.mtbr.com/...9er/2#slider-pro-2-8

having said that I would feel bad procluding a carbon jekyll :

Quote Reply
Re: XTERRA MTB Type [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you might be right, then again what do i know? , my dream mtb would be a tioga tension wire YETI (with a carbon toupe saddle and flat stem and cannondale magic motorcycle components) ....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i started out racing on equipment like that in the late 80's, it was such garbage. Half the time I'd win races because I broke the fewest parts. New MTB's are pretty nice, I wish they'd put a little more energy into making stuff that lasts longer and works better in adverse conditions
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i remember reading about brad bevan from about that time, and while he was the winningest triathlete of that time - it suprised me to read about how many races he had to pull out of due to equipment failures - derailleur, seat post, stem . .... you could tell the industry was pushing the limit of weight vs strength...and that was just road biking

while suspension tech came a long way it still seems hard to beat a simple light hardtail for a cross country course
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started out on a full rigid steel bike. The biggest problem was parts falling off from all the pounding and vibration.

The new bikes still have poor water sealing on the bearings, a driveline that refuses to operate when packed with freezing mud and balky cable systems, but beyond that they seem to work pretty well. I still spend a ton of time working on my bikes especially after a long muddy race. I did a 6 hour in the pouring rain and wore the brake pads right down to the backing plates, then kept goin and braking with the steel on steel until the pistons stuck open. Enough already.

Cyclocross is sort of a walk down memory lane with the crappy canti brakes and tubular tires rotting in the garage

I agree about the hard tail, but I do like my rear suspension for our rooty, rocky northeastern singletrack
Last edited by: jroden: Sep 20, 14 17:10
Quote Reply
Re: XTERRA MTB Type [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As JRoden stated in all of his replies, it really depends on the courses you are going to be racing. Over the last 7 or so years the XTERRA courses have gotten easier and shorter... :/
I went FS as I'm not beat up as bad and ready for the run. Also went 26" as it is what I have ridden for 28 years. Many of the XERRA courses have gotten easier over the years and the XTERRA ASP course did not need FS. We tried to get local road tri peeps to give XTERRA a go... didn't happen... if we do another event in WNY, it will be a true MTNbike course. (now if we can just got the local MTN bikers to learn to swim... :D )
XTERRA Ontario I was glad to have the FS and 26", had others after the race comment they wished they had their 26" for that course.
XTERRA Moab back in the day I wouldn't even think of a hard tail with the drops and rocks they have there.
XTERRA Keystone also way back in the day... I rode it hard tail and was so beat up I could hardly finish the race... Totally a FS course
XTERRA Appalachia a 29er hardtail would be a good choice
XTERRA Syracuse 29er hardtail also a good choice

Training in the NE I also agree with JRoden, the roots beat you up and a FS allows this older guy the ability to be ready for the run and also ride again the next day

With the budget you have, I would totally look at a 27.5 FS. Light, nimble, fast, gives you the larger wheel cusion with the smaller wheel agility.
Quote Reply
Re: XTERRA MTB Type [gmurnock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i don't swim but would enjoy doing one of those as a duathlon if the entry fee was within my budget. I really like the off road duathlon format.

Many times a cross bike is the best option for a non technical course. The XC ski trails at Allegheny are a good example, riders on cross bikes have won the MTB race if they can make it down snowsnake without a flat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would agree with the Cross bike at ASP which is why I told people "trail is so NON technical you can ride the course on a cross bike"... However cross bikes are not legal in XTERRA.
With the talent we have of mtn bikers in WNY and Southern Ontario... all of these people, if taught to swim, would be making it to XTERRA Worlds in Maui! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gmurnock wrote:
I would agree with the Cross bike at ASP which is why I told people "trail is so NON technical you can ride the course on a cross bike"... However cross bikes are not legal in XTERRA.
With the talent we have of mtn bikers in WNY and Southern Ontario... all of these people, if taught to swim, would be making it to XTERRA Worlds in Maui! :)

The reason I didn't go to ASP is because the bike was so non-technical, I felt I'd be wasting my time.

I wish I could have gotten someone to drive with me to Marquette for that Xterra Epic.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: XTERRA MTB Type [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard that from a few other people we tried marketing to... I thought of it as easy points. Post race... every competitor who came from out of the area did not feel the same. It may not be technical but the climbs and tricky descents made up for the lack of single track. This is a tough course.
This year, unfortunately, will be the last year for ASP due to the low numbers. Oh well, more time to race and travel to other XTERRA evens that I didn't have time for while organizing XTERRA ASP.

Now back to XTERRA MTB type! :D

I ride an Intense Carbine SL - 5.5" of travel coming in at 22 lbs! LOVE it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be a shame to let this race slip through the cracks. I raced it on Saturday and rarely had this much fun on a bike. This comes from the guy who added 25 min to the bike course and is still nursing his wounds.

My take is that it will take a few more years and Xterra is the next big thing.

gmurnock wrote:
I heard that from a few other people we tried marketing to... I thought of it as easy points. Post race... every competitor who came from out of the area did not feel the same. It may not be technical but the climbs and tricky descents made up for the lack of single track. This is a tough course.
This year, unfortunately, will be the last year for ASP due to the low numbers. Oh well, more time to race and travel to other XTERRA evens that I didn't have time for while organizing XTERRA ASP.

Now back to XTERRA MTB type! :D

I ride an Intense Carbine SL - 5.5" of travel coming in at 22 lbs! LOVE it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to dwell on that but with Marquette one weekend, USA Champs the next, ASP the following weekend then Iron Mountain 3 weeks later that time of the season is saturated.

Back to MTB types.

I'm on a Cannondale RZ120 one feminine petite 26er. Bike fits great even though it's a little heavy at 26 lbs. I could probably drop 6 ounces with a better crank. Changed the wheels and Fork to make it better from the stock build.

Had a four hour ride last Saturday on it.

jaretj
Last edited by: jaretj: Sep 29, 14 16:25
Quote Reply