Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

XLAB Gorilla cage vs Gorilla XT
Quote | Reply
I've had many problems with my water bottles ejecting from my BTA cage and it's mostly because I haven't invested in a nearly strong enough cage to prevent launching. I was wondering if the normal Gorilla cage would be strong enough or should I jump up to the XT for it's extra grip? Thanks!

If people can see you from the front you're not aero enough.
Quote Reply
Re: XLAB Gorilla cage vs Gorilla XT [cclamtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say it depends on what bottles you're planning on carrying. I just switched out my gorilla xt behind my saddle for a chimp because it was just too difficult to get my camelbak podium bottles in/out. If you're wanting to use disposable bottles that are handed at aid stations then I think the xt is a good option. I can't really comment on gorilla vs gorilla xt though since I've never owned a gorilla.
Quote Reply
Re: XLAB Gorilla cage vs Gorilla XT [cclamtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For between your aero bars, I wouldn't recommend the Gorilla XT cage. The force required to get the bottle out of the cage might effect your handling. The Gorilla Cage would be the most grip I would recommend for in between the aero bars.

Damon - XLAB
Quote Reply
Re: XLAB Gorilla cage vs Gorilla XT [XLAB Hydration] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps a stupid question. I have been using the regular Gorilla cages for behind the saddle for a few years now, but just recently I have been losing bottles on training rides. Do carbon cages lose their grip value over a long span of time? I lost one last week while on very smooth pavement. I found the bottle on the side of the road on my return and would check every so often after finding. Every time I checked it was working its way out the cage. Again smooth pavement. At the finish the bottle was 1/4 of the way out of the cage. The bottle on the left side never moved. Both Gorilla cages and Specialized Purist bottles.

Again this just started happening the last few months and I have lost about 4 bottles so far and on each of those times it was on a long self-sustained hot ride where I needed that extra bottle. :(

I am probably going to order Gorilla XT cages today and move the regular Gorilla cages to a road bike where I can keep an eye on the bottles.
Quote Reply
Re: XLAB Gorilla cage vs Gorilla XT [Lamchop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a Gorrila for BTA and an XT for behind the saddle. Both seem to be appropriate.

Quote | Reply
I have two gorillas mounted vertically (I believe this is the best position for launching ?) and they have been fine, even on our very poor roads.

I think it is also very dependant on a) bottle design and b) rigidity of your carrier (stiffer the better).

I followed one guy and his bottles were like they were on a pogo stick and got a real good spring / bounce / possible ejection each time he hit a bump and the carrier flexed and then rebounded.

My carrier is very rigid - I could use it for hanging my bike if I wanted.

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: XLAB Gorilla cage vs Gorilla XT [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We can definitely check your setup and cage condition to see if we can spot why one launched and the other didn't. Feel free to email our customer service, info@xlab-usa.com.

Specialized Purist bottles should be ok on the grip and not launch....same as our Aqua Shot and Cool Shot bottles - all 3 have a nice deep groove in the bottle neck for the top tab of the Gorilla to hold onto.

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply
Re: XLAB Gorilla cage vs Gorilla XT [Candice - XLAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Candice - XLAB wrote:
We can definitely check your setup and cage condition to see if we can spot why one launched and the other didn't. Feel free to email our customer service, info@xlab-usa.com.

Specialized Purist bottles should be ok on the grip and not launch....same as our Aqua Shot and Cool Shot bottles - all 3 have a nice deep groove in the bottle neck for the top tab of the Gorilla to hold onto.

Thanks.....I've already ordered the Gorilla XT cages this morning. The regular Gorilla cages have worked well even on rough roads and a lot of miles since 2012 with Purist bottles. Just for some reason I started having issues lately. The cages still look fairly new. I have a road bike that can use the Gorilla cages so it's okay.

As far as set up here is a picture

Quote Reply
Re: XLAB Gorilla cage vs Gorilla XT [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

Looking at it, cages do look new from the outside. I would say they are slightly angled and the mounting clips are close to the corner, but that doesn't explain why one launched and the other didn't. Let me know how you get on with the XTs with 2x the grip you should notice an improvement!

Candice Turner
CEO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Candice - XLAB wrote:
Thanks!

Looking at it, cages do look new from the outside. I would say they are slightly angled and the mounting clips are close to the corner, but that doesn't explain why one launched and the other didn't. Let me know how you get on with the XTs with 2x the grip you should notice an improvement!

Made the change yesterday to XTs and believe it was a good upgrade.
Quote Reply
Re: XLAB Gorilla cage vs Gorilla XT [XLAB Hydration] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
XLAB Hydration wrote:
For between your aero bars, I wouldn't recommend the Gorilla XT cage. The force required to get the bottle out of the cage might effect your handling. The Gorilla Cage would be the most grip I would recommend for in between the aero bars.

Damon - XLAB

I agree with ^. Have Gorilla for BTA and XT for rear. Honestly, I think XT may be overkill for rear but with a twist I can get it out when riding and replace empty one in back. I bet a normal Gorilla would be fine also in back.
Quote Reply
Re: XLAB Gorilla cage vs Gorilla XT [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had assumed that the XT was the superior model (more expensive) but doesn’t seem to be the case. Sigma Sports in UK has:
Gorilla for ÂŁ49 (MSP ÂŁ65) and
XT for ÂŁ58 (MSP ÂŁ60)

Ok, so XT is more expensive today, but MSP is cheaper. Is one better than the other? Obviously XT has more force, but is heavier.

Thx
Quote Reply
Re: XLAB Gorilla cage vs Gorilla XT [JonDW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello JonDW,

They must have the price wrong. The XT is just a tad more in price as it has more structure than the standard Gorilla. They look the same, but the thickness is different.

The Gorilla - on average has about 10 lbs of retention force, whereas the Gorilla XT on average has 14 lbs.

#1 seller out of these 2 is the Gorilla as 10 lbs is sufficient for most people and sometimes the XT can be harder to pull out of. We actually spec'd the XT on our single carriers, but received complaints that people had difficulty accessing their bottle, so we switched to the Gorilla and people were happy!

However if you tend to ride on bumpy roads, or have concerns about launching a bottle, try out the XT.

Candice Turner
CEO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply Candice (so good that you’re monitoring these forums by the way!!). Now I have your attention, can I pick your brains some more. I have had issues with ejecting bottles in the past and so looking to replace my whole “system”.

In looking at the cage(s) plus a hanger (Delta 400 or 425) and Multi-Strike Repair Holder. I’d like to hold one or two bottles, gas, inter tube and levers. I have a (old model) Shiv albeit with a new saddle (can’t remember the model).

Will these work? 400 or 425?

Thx
Quote Reply
Re: XLAB Gorilla cage vs Gorilla XT [JonDW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy to assist!

So the Delta systems carry 1 bottle only, if you wanted to have the flexibility to choose 1 or 2 bottles at any time, I would look at the dual carriers. The Delta 400/425 models are very good however as far as their adjustability.

Cages are by far the #1 thing to look at if you are launching bottles, but the secondary factory is the position of the cage. For the Gorilla cages, the more upright the cage can be, the better chances of preventing launching. You not only have carrier position adjustability with the Delta 400/425, but also cage angle which really helps dial in that position. They also come with a Gorilla cage already.

As far as compatibility - just make sure you check your saddle to ensure it is compatible with the appropriate carrier. We have a helpful guide here so you can check. If it is not on there or you don't know the name, we can check compatibility for you.

Candice Turner
CEO
Quote Reply
Re: XLAB Gorilla cage vs Gorilla XT [Lamchop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lamchop wrote:
I've had many problems with my water bottles ejecting from my BTA cage

I had exact same problem, but I was able to fix it. You don't have to buy another cage. Use a heat gun to make the cage narrow and tight and you won't have this problem again. Air from the heat gun can get really hot, so be careful.
Quote Reply