Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

XC Skiing World Cup
Quote | Reply
So, winter is back and thus we can enjoy some high level cross country skiing. I think it is one of the most beautiful and versatile endurance sport. (And I say that as an alpine and skimo freak who's barely ever been on xc skis). Anyone else following it?

After yesterdays sprint victory, Johannes Klaebo also won todays distance event. This guy is only 21 and I think we will see a lot from him in the future. He has a good vlog on youtube giving insight into his daily training:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8awaVlAnQ-w

BTW Norway traditionally is the cross country powerhouse. But they always seem to have very good endurance atheltes. At the moment you obciously also have Blummenfelt, but also the Ingebrigtsens and Sondre Moen in running and the powerful cyclists. They seem to have solid work ethic and the right mentality.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: XC Skiing World Cup [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who does not love cross country skiing.
Yesterday Sadie Bjornson got second in the sprint race. Her best race ever.

If you want to follow all the races in English. Check out this Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/...assicSkiTrack/videos

Johannes Klaebo is born in 1996.
He is coached by his grandpa. No professional coach there. This is quite common in Scandinavia.

Today Marit Bjoergen got her 110th world cup win.
Quote Reply
Re: XC Skiing World Cup [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I'm lucky enough that in Switzerland most races are live on TV.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't help but wonder if Klaebo is peaking too early in an Olympic season. I guess that time will tell.

Every time I see a picture of him I wonder when Matt Damon took up skiing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holmenkollen 50K coverage was awesome, thanks for the link. Norway wins again. The Swedes need to pick it up, Olympics are coming close.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:

It must have been fun with the first female world cup victory for Switzerland with Van Der Graff and with Dario getting back into shape again.
I do love Tour de Ski, but in a championship year it should be after the championship.

Johannes Klaebo has his own youtube channel (thanks to his brother). It is cc into English.
You will get a good view of the world cup life by following it.
https://www.youtube.com/user/johanneshk/videos

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even as somebody with little coordination and no skiing ability, I love watching cross country skiing. Also been religiously watching the biathlon world cups, as Eurovision Sports has them freely available for viewing on their website (eurovisionsports.tv), which seems like a mistake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are live in the States as well on the Olympic Channel. Has been great to watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
Who does not love cross country skiing.
Yesterday Sadie Bjornson got second in the sprint race. Her best race ever.

If you want to follow all the races in English. Check out this Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/...assicSkiTrack/videos

Johannes Klaebo is born in 1996.
He is coached by his grandpa. No professional coach there. This is quite common in Scandinavia.

Today Marit Bjoergen got her 110th world cup win.

Thanks for providing the link. I've never xc-skied in my life (would love to sometime), but it's great stuff to watch on the trainer.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These are awesome, thanks for the links! I'm just starting to get into watching the sport (never skied myself). I think mostly I love the idea of the massive engines these folks are carrying. And the way they collapse, gasping and slobbering, at the finish.

Do you have any favorite races on YouTube that you'd recommend?

Coach at TriForce Triathlon Team: https://www.triforceteam.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
ToBeasy wrote:

It must have been fun with the first female world cup victory for Switzerland with Van Der Graff and with Dario getting back into shape again.
I do love Tour de Ski, but in a championship year it should be after the championship.

Johannes Klaebo has his own youtube channel (thanks to his brother). It is cc into English.
You will get a good view of the world cup life by following it.
https://www.youtube.com/user/johanneshk/videos

Yes, at the moment it is fun to watch as a swiss. Wenn don't have a deep field but sometimes there is great individual talent. Dario is obviously a very special talent. It is great how is skiing at the moment. Like in the old days. Of course Klaebo and some other guys are sitting the Tour out. But nonetheless his current form bodes well for the games. I hope his calf holds together.
Van Siebenthal is doing well too. She grew up at a rural farm and her training fascilities were very basic.

I'm so excited for todays races.

I've seen Klaebos vlog before and watched some episodes on the trainer. It is very nice insight. You watch this young gun win races off the front and think that it just comes so naturally. But in his vlog you realize that he sometimes feels like hell too and that he has to drag himself out of the hed for training as well. It is just so much hard work.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about Magnificant-FR! Better yet those French biathletes-so exciting
Quote Reply
Re: XC Skiing World Cup [frenchfried] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frenchfried wrote:
How about Magnificant-FR! Better yet those French biathletes-so exciting

I really like follwowing Biathlon too. Ok, I follow every sport, but Biathlon is one of the real exciting ones. It took me a while to discover it, as in Switzerland it is not as popular as Alpine or XC Skiing or Ski Jumping. But man, those races are cool. I mean sometimes when I watch the Tour de France or so I read a book and only focus on it when the going gets tough. But with Biathlon I just can't take my eyes off the screen sometimes.

Quote Reply