Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

XC MTB vs Road bike saddle height
Quote | Reply
Hey all!
Have been commuting all winter (Even down to -23c) on my xc 29er to work. Has been awesome. Bike's new to me as of October.
I simply set the saddle height by feel, have setback right in the middle of the rails, and have had zero issues and great times.
Spring is finally here and I jump on my road bike and it feels miles too high and just simply awkward.
Obviously an XC 29er hardtail ≠ race oriented road bike, but wondering if people generally have similar or dissimilar saddle heights between the two.
~78cm for the roadie (25mm setback seatpost, centre of rails) w/170mm cranks and ~76.5cm on the mtb with 175mm cranks.

I don't want the roadie to feel "the same" as my hardtail (different jobs+different tools) but the mtb "feels" much better re: consistent pedal stroke+power production.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: XC MTB vs Road bike saddle height [arca_tern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if I spend all of my time for an extended period on my mountain bike, my road bike will feel quite awkward for a while. Out of the saddle sprinting on the road bike is worst offender. That's when there's been no real changes to me or my road bike. Saddle setback and height are quite close between my bikes. I really notice the q-factor difference.
Quote Reply
Re: XC MTB vs Road bike saddle height [arca_tern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming your MTB seat height is dead on correct (and that is a non-trivial assumption), typically, XC mountain bike seat height will be very very slightly lower than road/tri bike seat height.

Since it is your road bike seat height that feels "off", if it were me, I would initially set my road/tri seat height to be the same as my MTB seat height but only after exactly correcting for differences in saddles (if appropriate), pedal stack height (with appropriate shoes engaged) with actual measured road vs MTB shoe insole/outsole/cleat engaged stack heights.

Then, I would very gradually raise my road/tri bike seat height (should be only by a few mm vs your corrected MTB seat height) to what feels comfortable and powerful.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Mar 23, 17 13:48
Quote Reply
Re: XC MTB vs Road bike saddle height [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I felt that too, especially with regards to handling, weight, stability.
That aside the actual mechanics of pedaling feel different.
Quote Reply
Re: XC MTB vs Road bike saddle height [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Assuming your MTB seat height is dead on correct (and that is a non-trivial assumption), typically, XC mountain bike seat height will be very very slightly lower than road/tri bike seat height.

Since it is your road bike seat height that feels "off", if it were me, I would initially set my road/tri seat height to be the same as my MTB seat height but only after exactly correcting for differences in saddles (if appropriate), pedal stack height (with appropriate shoes engaged) with actual measured road vs MTB shoe insole/outsole/cleat engaged stack heights.

Then, I would very gradually raise my road/tri bike seat height (should be only by a few mm vs your corrected MTB seat height) to what feels comfortable and powerful.

That's fair.
I was under the impression they should be similar, so using all variables for the measurements makes sense.
Quote Reply
Re: XC MTB vs Road bike saddle height [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting.
I think my road shoes are mainly the issue.
When commuting I have been using runners (Kinvara 5's) on flat pedals (b/c of the ice and snow) but my ~7 year old LG tri shoes on the roadie.
Did my same commute as yesterday on the roadie, but this time with the Kinvara's vs the cycling shoes, and it felt infinitely better. Not perfect, but MUCH better.
My foot was more centered on the pedals, as in, the spindle was further back relative to my cycling shoes.
I think 1) cleat position maybe isn't right on the LG shoes and 2) they're just totally beat and in need of replacement.
Getting new cycling shoes may be my first step, and then go from there.
Quote Reply