Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wrench question - chainring/crank
Quote | Reply
Just swapped Vision 52T/36T rings onto a 105 crank, and the chain catcher pin on the big ring (the one that stops the chain jamming between the crankarm and the ring if it were to drop to the outside) is too long to fit behind the crankarm - it's about twice the length of the one on the 105 big ring.

Do I just rotate the ring by one hole so that that pin is just sticking out in space, or is it worth cutting/grinding the pin down to fit behind the crankarm?
Quote Reply
Re: Wrench question - chainring/crank [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're certain that you're going to keep those chainrings, I would want that pin to be in the proper position. I would carefully grind it down to length so you can.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Wrench question - chainring/crank [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
If you're certain that you're going to keep those chainrings, I would want that pin to be in the proper position. I would carefully grind it down to length so you can.

This. I'd use my Dremmel Tool sanding bit to hack that sucker down in 30 seconds. I would not rotate the rings; I've never tried it, but the shift ramps are meant to be in a certain position.
Quote Reply
Re: Wrench question - chainring/crank [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point re: the shift ramps - cutting it down it is!

Thanks guys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would drill a hole in the crank to make space for the pin. /pink

Just kidding, cut the pin :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Removing the pin is ok. It's just meant to keep your chain from getting super caught between the crank arm and chainring if you drop it on the outside. Grinding the pin down to fit is a better solution.

You can rotate the rings. The shift ramps are aligned with each other, not the crank arm. Then you're back to not having a pin to keep the chain from getting caught.
Quote Reply