Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wrench Help: Ticking Noise Just Showed Up After BB Service
Quote | Reply
Had shifter cables replaced and BB cleaned and regreased on my Cannondale SuperSix. On crank over most noticeable on left side at about the 7-8 o'clock position I hear a ticking noise. Very loud and noticeable when more load is on the pedals. Eliminated headset as possibility, eliminated shoes/cleats (it does the ticking when I am just pedaling around my driveway with my running shoes on). Sounds like something is literally tapping carbon with every pedal stroke. Totally quiet in the stand. Only shows up when any kind of load is placed on the pedals. Inspected Speedplays for potential issues.

Any advice where to begin? Like I said, it was never an issue until I got shifter cables and BB service last week.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Wrench Help: Ticking Noise Just Showed Up After BB Service [JimMoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What type of bearing does that use? (I admit I'm ignorant of that)

Edit: if it's PF30, then that's the most likely culprit.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Sep 1, 14 8:12
Quote Reply
Re: Wrench Help: Ticking Noise Just Showed Up After BB Service [JimMoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim, try this w pedals: Remove, grease threads nicely, torque down close to max spec. I was faked out for so long w a tick on left side at 7/8 oclock position and the tick actually came from the opposite site as it unloaded. crazy huh? or bust out the big ole 8mm for your left crank arm and be certain it's tight.
Quote Reply
Re: Wrench Help: Ticking Noise Just Showed Up After BB Service [RK250] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good idea. Just did the math and my chain has 1,940 miles on it and the cassette has close to 9,000 miles. Wonder if that could be it.

I'll try the pedals. Thanks!
Last edited by: JimMoss: Sep 1, 14 8:48
Quote Reply
Re: Wrench Help: Ticking Noise Just Showed Up After BB Service [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know. It's a BB30 bottom bracket. I'll ask the LBS about the bearings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 seat post?
Quote Reply
Re: Wrench Help: Ticking Noise Just Showed Up After BB Service [RK250] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RK250 wrote:
or bust out the big ole 8mm for your left crank arm and be certain it's tight.

This is certainly the quickest and easiest first try fix. My LBS fixed my crank's noise in 5 sec. doing exactly this.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Left crank arm was not tight. Thanks for the spot on easy fix!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to hear silence Jim!
Quote Reply