Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wow I'm a bad swimmer...HELP
Quote | Reply
Always knew I was a back of the pack swimmer, it takes me about 33 minutes to swim 1600M

Never knew how ugly my stroke was until I used my go pro

I realize you can probably pick apart every single aspect of my stroke, so please give me some areas to focus on changing and improving

https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be
Quote Reply
Re: Wow I'm a bad swimmer...HELP [sparkysfat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Single biggest thing you need to do is get rid of the "glide". You almost come to a stop on each stroke. Google swim smooth, look at the overglider swim type on there.

Fixing that overglide will involve fixing your breathing and overrotation, and will also help clean up the front of your stroke and your kick.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Wow I'm a bad swimmer...HELP [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Single biggest thing you need to do is get rid of the "glide". You almost come to a stop on each stroke. Google swim smooth, look at the overglider swim type on there.

Fixing that overglide will involve fixing your breathing and overrotation, and will also help clean up the front of your stroke and your kick.

x2. That's your first fix, and will help both your times and the rest of the stroke. You're doing the swimming equivalent of leaping from flagstone to flagstone.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are also doing the dropped elbow catch and you point your toes downwards. This means low propulsion from the catch and high drag.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: Wow I'm a bad swimmer...HELP [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all, I appreciate the feedback!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While you're at it improving your stroke, please advise the operator of the pool to give it a clean once in a while, the bottom looks like a scrap yard.
Quote Reply
Re: Wow I'm a bad swimmer...HELP [Grim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you could also edit your video so that it wasn't 90% a view of an empty pool!

Cheers, Rich
Quote Reply
Re: Wow I'm a bad swimmer...HELP [turboferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did reply in the same way to another thread. Please check the swim smooth website.
They have different swim types and you're clearly an "over glider". They have corrective action plans with specific drills for the different kind of swim types.

You have a dead spot with your arm in front (swim smooth is calling this "applying the brake").

Triatlon/Running/Cycling coach
TrainingPeaks Certified
http://www.endurancepeakcoaching.com
Quote Reply