Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Would you sign an open letter or petition to WTC re gender equity for age groupers?
Quote | Reply
I've seen this discussed tangentially before on this board, but I'd like to gauge the support for taking action.

In 2013, Ironman started the SwimStart initiatives with several pilots of different ways of starting the races rather thjan the mass starts of previous years. I support any pilot on the assumption that there will be a report issued at the end of the pilot period and recommendations made for permanent improvements. I have seen no such report and the Ironman website has no article on SwimStart beyond "how tos" since the announcement last year.

For 2013, the pilot at IMMT was gender and age waves, with the women divided into two (<40, 40+) waves, the men into about 5, with the waves going off about 3 minutes apart starting before 7am. The older women started last at 7am The cutoff for the swim was as it always has been - at 9:20, 2:20 after the last athlete is in the water. Consequently, all men got at least 6 minutes longer to complete the distance than the older women and at least 3 minutes longer than all the women.

In 2013, three men completed the swim with 2:20+ times (but before 9:20am), one with 2:35. All three men went out on the bike, and two completed the race within 17 hours. There is no DNF next to their name.

In 2014, one man completed the swim in 2:25, but before 9:20am. He went out on the bike and completed the race within 17 hours. There is no DNF next to his name.

The swim cutoff information in the athlete guide is consistent:

p 9: Swim Cut-Off: 2 hour and 20 minutes after the Age Group start. 9:20 am
p11: The swim course will be CLOSED two hours and twenty minutes after the start of the last wave (7 am start, 9:20 am). ... Contestants still in the water after this time will be disqualified and will not be permitted to continue in the event.

All these men were allowed on the bike course under the rules of the event. All women were (appropriately) pulled if they came in over 2:20 and have DNF next to their names.

I would like to write an open letter to WTC, signed by you and as many others I can persuade, asking them to:
a) Publish the results of their SwimStart pilots including analysis of gender pace and DNF rates, or release race data so analysis of swim times before and after the pilots can be made, so that discussion can be held and decisions can be made based on data rather than anecdotes.
b) Clarify the 2:20 vs 9:20am swim cutoff contradiction.
c) If 2:20 is the primary cutoff, develop, publish and implement a procedure to ensure that all ages and genders have the same opportunity to continue only if they have met the cutoff time and the same rules are applied to all ages and genders.
d) If 9:20 is the primary cutoff and there is in fact more than 2:20 to complete the race for some athletes, eliminate age and gender-based wave starts in current and any future Ironman races due to its inherent biased in favor of both younger athletes and men.
e) If the concern is about slower swimmers self seeding to early in a rolling start, see a).

The last time this was discussed, someone said that women needed to stand up and demand equal treatment. I countered, saying that we _all_ need to stand up and demand equal treatment for women. I'm asking you - men and women alike, but especially the men who have wives, sisters, daughters, girlfriends who are athletes of any kind - to help me put this together and see if we can't bring back some kind of even playing field to Ironman.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Would you sign an open letter or petition to WTC re gender equity for age groupers? [arachne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the exact issue we debated last year when the new swim starts were announced ( http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t_reply;so=ASC;mh=25). I agree it's patently unfair to enforce a cutoff time for some but not others. This sort of thing will just encourage poor swimmers to start out as early as possible to ensure making the cutoff.

Spot

Quote | Reply
You've come on Slowtwitch to ask for sympathy for people who swim slower than 2:20. Good luck with that.

Or am I supposed to be mad at the guys who swam more than 2:20 and got away with it?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Last edited by: j p o: Aug 21, 14 7:48
Quote Reply
Re: Would you sign an open letter or petition to WTC re gender equity for age groupers? [arachne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would sign..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with you on this. On this single issue, the answer and the fix is obvious and simple. Personally, I'd like to see a different system in place that focuses on ability rather than age and gender. It's happened at some races (rolling starts or mass starts) but not so much in waves.

However, keep in mind that there is gender inequity on both sides. For example, check out the IMMT Kona Slots thread. Posters have pointed out gender issues that can favor the women in KQ for the AG slots and more so after the rolldown starts. I'm sure there are more issues and I'd encourage you to seek out more than just the one and the one side.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why write the letter, you can already skip to the end. From their actions it looks like they are enforcing a 9:20 cutoff. If that is the case, how would you seed the swim starts? Instead of just complaining, have a constructive discussion on the possible changes and their merits. I doubt you will have the community identify a different solution, but would be happy if there was one.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you sign an open letter or petition to WTC re gender equity for age groupers? [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
This is the exact issue we debated last year when the new swim starts were announced ( http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t_reply;so=ASC;mh=25). I agree it's patently unfair to enforce a cutoff time for some but not others. This sort of thing will just encourage poor swimmers to start out as early as possible to ensure making the cutoff.

Spot

As somebody who barely missed the 2:20 cutoff at CAC this year when I self-seeded in the back of the last wave (and we were delayed getting into the water because of poor planning by the RD's), and then I had to watch people who swam 2:35 and 2:40 advance on to bike and run hours longer than it would have taken me, you are damn right this sort of thing encourages me to not ever self-seed in the back again.

Before you start telling me I suck at swimming, blah, blah, blah, I was expecting 1:30 based on OWS training. Not fast. Certainly well below average. But not suck. Plus, the CAC swim was tough with lots of turns, poor markings, tough current, and sunglare. Also, I am probably one of the few BOPers who didn't cut the course.
Last edited by: DJRed: Aug 21, 14 8:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since Jimmy reads the ST posts, and is the lead WTC official, would love to hear him answer your questions.

I have asked this exact question about the rolling start at IMLT and got back nothing that address exactly the point you are making. The timing co just
said the cutoffs. When I asked about what you are saying, I got nothing back.

At IMLT last year, I heard of some being pulled at bike cutoffs, but others being allowed to continue. So this has nothing to do with sex, it is wrong for anyone.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Last edited by: h2ofun: Aug 21, 14 8:21
Quote Reply
Re: Would you sign an open letter or petition to WTC re gender equity for age groupers? [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, this is why I started up near the front and recommend everyone doing the same.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would sign.
Re swim starts, I think your race time should start when your swim starts and your cut off times should start when your swim starts. Giving some people more than 2:20 to finish the swim is not a good idea, IMHO.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Would you sign an open letter or petition to WTC re gender equity for age groupers? [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
its not just wtc, but usat you need to plea with.

How about signing my category system petition.... notice in it there is no mention of gender:

https://www.change.org/...rical-ability-system
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
arachne wrote:
Thoughts?

After seeing it in action at Boulder, I would say the rolling swim start is a superior start method. Timing mats to start your race at the waters edge, self seed your start. They clearly stated that you would get a DNF if your swim took longer than 2:20 no matter when you started. As long as that was enforced across the board (don't know if it was) it is about as fair as you can get.

Quote Reply
Re: Would you sign an open letter or petition to WTC re gender equity for age groupers? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I'm with you on this. On this single issue, the answer and the fix is obvious and simple. Personally, I'd like to see a different system in place that focuses on ability rather than age and gender. It's happened at some races (rolling starts or mass starts) but not so much in waves.

However, keep in mind that there is gender inequity on both sides. For example, check out the IMMT Kona Slots thread. Posters have pointed out gender issues that can favor the women in KQ for the AG slots and more so after the rolldown starts. I'm sure there are more issues and I'd encourage you to seek out more than just the one and the one side.

Someone has to go last just put a mat down coming out of the swim exit and start pulling people and make 2:20 the cutoff for everyone. As Tri-Banter pointed out if you are looking at fixing gender equity I'd add in the Kona slots issue in to your letter and then I might consider signing.
Last edited by: Devlon: Aug 21, 14 9:47
Quote Reply
Re: Would you sign an open letter or petition to WTC re gender equity for age groupers? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
You've come on Slowtwitch to ask for sympathy for people who swim slower than 2:20. Good luck with that.

Or am I supposed to be mad at the guys who swam more than 2:20 and got away with it?

I agree... Frankly don't care about this. Inconsistent enforcement or loopholes happens in 100% of life. Unless the 2:20+ person takes something from me or enjoyment of the race, I chose to focus on what I can achieve and control.

If a solution is absolutely needed, go back to mass starts or make it such that our swim caps turn black and bond to our scalps exactly 2:20 after being splahed with water. Will be known as the swim cap of shame
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who ever said that WTC (or other Triathlon events) were either "fair" or "equal"?

I think the bike cutoff is way too soon. But then I'm looking at it from a hand cyclist perspective. Someone who is in a hand cycle and then a racing chair is at a severe disadvantage with current cutoff times. It is really tough to make the bike cutoff, especially if there are any hills but they can pretty well coast through a Marathon in 4 hours.

If the "goal" is to complete in 17 hours (or whatever it happens to be), then you should have as much time as you want in each event as long as you can complete within the time. If, however, the goal is to complete each leg within a certain amount of time then that should be posted and the bike time should NOT be contingent upon your swim time as it currently is.

However, I'm surprised that folks who swim slower than a 3:41/100 pace can finish an IM in under the cutoff.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you sign an open letter or petition to WTC re gender equity for age groupers? [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always thought bike cutoffs were based on availability of daylight (likely sunset in Kona in mid October?)
Quote Reply
Post deleted by arachne [ In reply to ]
Re: Would you sign an open letter or petition to WTC re gender equity for age groupers? [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCDon wrote:
However, I'm surprised that folks who swim slower than a 3:41/100 pace can finish an IM in under the cutoff.

As one of these guys (not that slow but definitely swimming challenged), I can tell you my abilility to run a 3:15 open marathon translates a lot to the bike. I can tap into my well-developed run cardio engine on the bike. Yes, I have trained the bike hard but those improvements came pretty easily.

The swim is a completely different animal. Technique is paramount. My well-developed run cardio engine means crap in the water when my legs sink, my feet point downward, and I can't swim a straight line.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by arachne [ In reply to ]
Re: Would you sign an open letter or petition to WTC re gender equity for age groupers? [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
Why write the letter, you can already skip to the end. From their actions it looks like they are enforcing a 9:20 cutoff. If that is the case, how would you seed the swim starts? Instead of just complaining, have a constructive discussion on the possible changes and their merits. I doubt you will have the community identify a different solution, but would be happy if there was one.

See a) release data so we can have a constructive discussion and data-based decsion.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you sign an open letter or petition to WTC re gender equity for age groupers? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

Nope. Not at all - neither. My concern is with WTC, not the athletes. Just looking for an even playing field is all.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you sign an open letter or petition to WTC re gender equity for age groupers? [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
spot wrote:

Spot

As somebody who barely missed the 2:20 cutoff at CAC this year when I self-seeded in the back of the last wave (and we were delayed getting into the water because of poor planning by the RD's), and then I had to watch people who swam 2:35 and 2:40 advance on to bike and run hours longer than it would have taken me, you are damn right this sort of thing encourages me to not ever self-seed in the back again.

Before you start telling me I suck at swimming, blah, blah, blah, I was expecting 1:30 based on OWS training. Not fast. Certainly well below average. But not suck. Plus, the CAC swim was tough with lots of turns, poor markings, tough current, and sunglare. Also, I am probably one of the few BOPers who didn't cut the course.

DJ - I'm sorry you were a victim of an imperfect system. I hope you have another race lined up to try and beat that cutoff.

I hope too that you recognize my point about this being a gender & age discrimmination issue, rather than a debate over rolling starts and self seeding. I had no choice to seed myself anything other than last on Sunday, simply because of the gender and year I was born.

I don't think that rolling starts and self-seeding is perfect either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
BCDon wrote:

As one of these guys (not that slow but definitely swimming challenged), I can tell you my abilility to run a 3:15 open marathon translates a lot to the bike. I can tap into my well-developed run cardio engine on the bike. Yes, I have trained the bike hard but those improvements came pretty easily.

The swim is a completely different animal. Technique is paramount. My well-developed run cardio engine means crap in the water when my legs sink, my feet point downward, and I can't swim a straight line.

I'm swimming challenged as well, just not to that extent. However, I was looking at this from the perspective of someone who's bike and run were in a similar league to their swimming. Most of the folks I know tend to work on all 3 aspects although yes, one will likely be their worst. In my case, the swim isn't the issue, the run is. I complete the swim and bike and I'm watching the clock, calculating whether I can complete in the time remaining as I jog, walk, shuffle through the "run".

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you sign an open letter or petition to WTC re gender equity for age groupers? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

Excellent point.

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What data would you like released and what do you hope to learn from it? I thought the all split times and DNF rates were already available?

Do you have a suggested system that you think would be more equitable?
Quote Reply

Prev Next