Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Would you get Coached by Someone who Doesn't have Certification?
Quote | Reply
Would you pay money to be coached by someone who has no official coaching accreditation from a college/university or a national triathlon certificate?

I'm looking to coach a small number of athletes and write their programs, etc but everyone I've talked to has said the national triathlon coaching certificates are a waste of time and money and are so basic, reading a general triathlon training book would cover everything anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get Coached by Someone who Doesn't have Certification? [ENP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can they coach? And what would make me think they can coach?

If you have no degree, no certifications, and have never coached someone before, what will make someone want to come to you?

Not an indictment - but what you have to answer if you want people to use you.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get Coached by Someone who Doesn't have Certification? [ENP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never been coached for a tri but I'm not sure I'd even think to ask about certifications.

If I were looking for a coach I would ask around the local endurance group, scope out ST, maybe even google. From there I'd probably check out some website or FB pages to narrow down my options. After that it'd be a series of communications (emails, texts, phone calls) to see if we communicated well and to see some example plans or workouts. Through all that I don't know if the subject of certification would come up, it probably would now that you've got me thinking about it but I'm not sure if it'd carry much weight.

n=1

Quote Reply
Re: Would you get Coached by Someone who Doesn't have Certification? [JesseR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. At minimum, an athletic coach should have CPR certification and training in exercise physiology and psychology.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I coach individually and for two teams but very rarely does it come up that I'm certified. The certification plays basically zero part on my coaching practices but it would (and occasionally, if it comes up) makes me sound legit.

Really it comes down this: Do you know enough to teach others? Do others believe you know enough that they are willing to pay to learn from you?

If I ever wanted to pay for a coach, I'd be looking at their experience racing and their experience coaching. Not their certification(s).

ETA: I coach AGers --not those looking to go pro. That may make a difference to some but it's likely more in line with what you're going for anyway.

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Last edited by: Mendeldave: Nov 25, 14 13:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How nice is his/her trucker's hat?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I would.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. There are a handful of coaches on ST that I respect and would consider and it never crossed my mind to check for a certification (desert dude, darkhorse, johnnyO, kevin coady, etc.)

I care about results of their athletes and finding someone I think can make me successful.

Having only ever been self-coached, after my family expands in the spring I am considering a coach to make the most out of my training time. Don't care about a certification.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sometimes liken it to a college degree. Sometimes your degree is in a different field and has little to do with your profession. However, a college degree still has meaning and value...even if all you did was goof off and learned nothing for four years.

The degree establishes some level of credibility and proficiency. After a few years the degree means less because experience trumps it. Experience will nearly always win out.

Can you coach without a certification? Absolutely, several do. But why would I hire you? What experience do you have coaching? Would you walk into a job interview without a degree and be able to make the case that you are a better candidate than the college graduate?

Sure there are always exceptions. But do you want to be the exception? Some of the certifications are helpful. People are overstating when they say they are a waste of time and money. They don't go as far as many would like and often take a wrong approach because of unqualified instructors. But there are still things to be learned and benefit from by being part of the discussion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ENP wrote:
reading a general triathlon training book would cover everything anyway.

I would guess many "certified" and "non-certified" coaches would disagree with that part.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am coached by someone that is not "certified" and it does not bother me one bit.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get Coached by Someone who Doesn't have Certification? [Bull_Winkle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bull_Winkle wrote:
No. At minimum, an athletic coach should have CPR certification and training in exercise physiology and psychology.

CPR certification? I hoped your nonsensical responses were limited to the LR, I guess not.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who are the athletes? Somone trying to break 4 hours in an oly or someone trying to go to the olympics?
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get Coached by Someone who Doesn't have Certification? [Bull_Winkle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bull_Winkle wrote:

If the coach is present at organized practices (i.e. HS, etc.), then CPR certification is generally mandatory. If you have a net based coach, what's he going to do? Compressions via space bar?

I would agree at least some basic classes in physiology and psychology would be a help, but still not mandatory.

Some of the best coaches on ST don't have certifications, other than a stable of athletes kicking ass.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bull_Winkle wrote:

Do exercise physiologists makes great coaches?
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get Coached by Someone who Doesn't have Certification? [JesseR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JesseR wrote:
Bull_Winkle wrote:

CPR certification? I hoped your nonsensical responses were limited to the LR, I guess not.

Because you know, your coach is going drive cross country, pull your ass out of the lake, and perform CPR after your 920XT stops reporting a Heart Rate during your live OWS.

I think Bull_Winkle's coach secretly wants to hold him under the water with his kayak paddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JesseR wrote:
Bull_Winkle wrote:

omg he posts in the LR?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Certifications absolutely don't matter. Conventional wisdom in cases where certs are not required by some governing body or something is that the only people who get them are those who don't have skills. Besides, isn't something like the Level 1 cert basically just a couple days of classes? That seems like a laughable money grab by USAT. I think I would respect someone more if they recognized that and didn't get the cert.

Relevant Simpsons quote:

Chief Wiggum: All right, you scrawny beanpoles: becoming a cop is *not* something that happens overnight. It takes one solid weekend of training to get that badge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The certification will likely not in itself bring you clients, but it'll probably make a few folks who are on the fence a bit more comfortable with you, even if it's only a token measure of further commitment to the profession of coaching.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get Coached by Someone who Doesn't have Certification? [mountaindood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mountaindood wrote:
Certifications absolutely don't matter. Conventional wisdom in cases where certs are not required by some governing body or something is that the only people who get them are those who don't have skills. Besides, isn't something like the Level 1 cert basically just a couple days of classes? That seems like a laughable money grab by USAT. I think I would respect someone more if they recognized that and didn't get the cert.

If I were to start coaching, I would consider the USAT cert for the insurance options.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I kept getting asked to coach, got certified so that I felt I was qualified to start. After getting recertified once, I felt like it wasn't worth it again. Basically, I did it to start and then dropped it after a long while. Never comes up anymore.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe Brett Sutton is not certified, nor does he want any of the certifications....

----------------------------------------------------------

keep it simple , keep it real .
--Brett Sutton

But i dont really know that much about bikes. I just sit on em and do as i am told. peddle. hard and fast.
--Chrissie Wellington

I think the best way to get faster is to enjoy it, the more you do the better you get, so go out and enjoy swim, biking and running, and don't feel to constrained and just do lots.
--Stephen Bayliss
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get Coached by Someone who Doesn't have Certification? [Alfalfameister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He may not be certified, but he's certifiable!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure, why not. My HS cross country coach had no certifications and didn't want to coach. He just got stuck with the job and got a ton of people college scholarships en route to being a top 5 team in the region every year while grumbling we took up too much of his time so he couldn't do ultras anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get Coached by Someone who Doesn't have Certification? [Alfalfameister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
some of us getter better BECAUSE of our coaches,
others... IN SPITE of

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply

Prev Next