Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Worried about getting into Chatt for 2015
Quote | Reply
Need advice after reading all the threads about IRONMAN Chattanooga. Do you think there will be an immediate sell out of the race this year? With entries avaiable at Augusta, club entries, volunteers etc. will there be any entries left over for folks sitting at their computer at noon Monday? Looks like I can buy charity now, worth the money to be sure?
Quote Reply
Re: Worried about getting into Chatt for 2015 [oldiebutgoodie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am buying a charity slot. Remember last year the race sold out in minutes! Better safe than sorry and the money goes to charity so feels good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rather than a charity slot at IMTN why don't you just simply register for a general registration slot at IMKY now that it's in October?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oldiebutgoodie wrote:
Need advice after reading all the threads about IRONMAN Chattanooga. Do you think there will be an immediate sell out of the race this year? With entries avaiable at Augusta, club entries, volunteers etc. will there be any entries left over for folks sitting at their computer at noon Monday? Looks like I can buy charity now, worth the money to be sure?

Don't worry. After the run course destroys us tomorrow it won't be any problem to get in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cannot understand why everyone persists in assuming that first year race sell-outs are the norm for follow-on races when year after year we see the 2nd annual race taking so much longer to sell out. Chattanooga 2015 must now contend with Louisville and Maryland in the same time slot. And as more people become aware that it is has a 116 mile bike leg followed by a tough run the popularity will fade rapidly. It may still sell out, but I will guess it isn't going to happen on the first day it opens.
Quote Reply
Re: Worried about getting into Chatt for 2015 [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its a cool town and they are very welcoming. I can see this race being popular and staying that way. I have no idea when it will sell out, but you do need to remember that 1700 slots were already taken before registration even started for 2014. It seems like most athletes like doing different courses…with Maryland, Florida and Louisville near the same time…..it may not be an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chattanooga is situated differently than MD and KY. Florida is the only real competition on the southeast. So Chattanooga will pull from Birmingahm, Atlanta (huge) all of Tennessee, Charlotte and South Carolina. Thats a lot of markets.

I don't know if it will be an instant sell out but i don't think they will have an issue with the numbers in this race. Chattanooga is a cool city and a great venue to host a race. It isn't like they are forcing a race into an ill suited area. The town is a VERY outdoorsy place that host numerous large sporting events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm guessing days for a sellout, not minutes for 2015
Quote Reply
Re: Worried about getting into Chatt for 2015 [Chris Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris Martin wrote:
Don't worry. After the run course destroys us tomorrow it won't be any problem to get in.

I second that, I think when it's all over some people will shy away from Chatt because of the run, possibly myself included.
Quote Reply
Re: Worried about getting into Chatt for 2015 [Rover24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another thing to consider, is how many tri clubs were given early registration access last year? Sure they sold out in minutes last year, but how many of the 2500 or so slots were full, prior to general registration open? I doubt that it will sell out in minutes like last year as well. More races = more supply = longer registration availability.
Quote Reply
Re: Worried about getting into Chatt for 2015 [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NeverEnough wrote:
Its a cool town and they are very welcoming. I can see this race being popular and staying that way. I have no idea when it will sell out, but you do need to remember that 1700 slots were already taken before registration even started for 2014. It seems like most athletes like doing different courses…with Maryland, Florida and Louisville near the same time…..it may not be an issue.

Yes, but that was last year. Ironman club coordinator posted to ST recently that the ONLY clubs getting early registration for 2015 were the ones that were award winners in the 2014 club competition. There are a lot of folks that like to do inaugural races. The second year registration demand never holds up to the first.
Quote Reply
Re: Worried about getting into Chatt for 2015 [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:

+1
Quote Reply
Re: Worried about getting into Chatt for 2015 [Bryan0721] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryan0721 wrote:
Rather than a charity slot at IMTN why don't you just simply register for a general registration slot at IMKY now that it's in October?

X2. Louisville is a great race. One of the best I have done. Well organized plenty of parking, nice area with lots to do.
Now that they are moving it to a cooler time of the year there is no reason to pay double for Chattanooga unless you really want to do it over any other race. The swim and bike will be similar but the run will more hilly in Chattanooga.
I agree with others if you are ready when online registration opens you should have no trouble getting in during general registration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still open tonight. Gonna have to say it. "I told you so!" :) Hope you are registered though and have a great race next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Still open tonight. Gonna have to say it. "I told you so!" :) Hope you are registered though and have a great race next year.

Gotta say I'm surprised. Thought for sure it would be an instant sellout with all the volunteers / finishers on-site registering for 2015. Ultimately, a good thing. I'd like to see the day when you can reliably wait until 3-4 months before a race before signing up. Too much can change in a year.

Still don't think it will stay open long, though. And I still think it will sellout before Louisville and Maryland.
Quote Reply
Re: Worried about getting into Chatt for 2015 [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
deh20 wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Gotta say I'm surprised. Thought for sure it would be an instant sellout with all the volunteers / finishers on-site registering for 2015. Ultimately, a good thing. I'd like to see the day when you can reliably wait until 3-4 months before a race before signing up. Too much can change in a year.

Still don't think it will stay open long, though. And I still think it will sellout before Louisville and Maryland.

Totally agree….and it would be nice to have a little time to not jump on the registration the minute races open. When IMWI didn't sellout immediately this year, some speculated it could be related to Pro's not racing there next year. CHOO is one of the US Pro races, so perhaps that may not be the case. I guess people with that argument could argue that it is because the big name pros will be racing Kona instead. CHOO will have Pro's trying to rack points for Kona the following year.

I am surprised it didn't sell out quickly, but after seeing the volunteer line compared to IMFL I am not shocked. I drove by at 10:00 and the line for volunteers and locals was only about 20 people deep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
deh20 wrote:
I'd like to see the day when you can reliably wait until 3-4 months before a race before signing up. Too much can change in a year.

This is one of the reasons I don't do WTC events anymore. I've been burned twice now signing up for an Ironman 12 months in advance, only to be derailed by injury or other life issues. They got over $1300 from me, and I'll never be an Ironman. I'd rather do the smaller events, anyway. That's why I love Toughman, who are building up a nice series of races across the country.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Worried about getting into Chatt for 2015 [wishiwasfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://online.ccfa.org/ironteam

Team Challenge had the largest charity team in IM history with over 1.3 million raised at IM Chattanooga, join us in 2015!
Quote Reply
Re: Worried about getting into Chatt for 2015 [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
deh20 wrote:
I'd like to see the day when you can reliably wait until 3-4 months before a race before signing up. Too much can change in a year.

This is one of the reasons I don't do WTC events anymore. I've been burned twice now signing up for an Ironman 12 months in advance, only to be derailed by injury or other life issues. They got over $1300 from me, and I'll never be an Ironman. I'd rather do the smaller events, anyway. That's why I love Toughman, who are building up a nice series of races across the country.

Canada didn't sell out, and it was definitely my favorite of the 6 WTC fulls that I've done (well, favorite of all fulls, for that matter.) But the only NA races that I know of that didn't sell out this year were Canada, Tahoe and Coeur d'Alene. Tahoe is my choice for next year, but I won't register until the spring. Maybe one of Maryland, Chattanooga and Louisville will remain open?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
deh20 wrote:
Travis R wrote:
deh20 wrote:

Canada didn't sell out, and it was definitely my favorite of the 6 WTC fulls that I've done (well, favorite of all fulls, for that matter.) But the only NA races that I know of that didn't sell out this year were Canada, Tahoe and Coeur d'Alene. Tahoe is my choice for next year, but I won't register until the spring. Maybe one of Maryland, Chattanooga and Louisville will remain open?

I'd be curious to know how the Louisville registration is tracking with the new date. I think WTC made a smart move with that and would think that it would sell out more quickly, but it's obviously hard to say.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was still open this morning.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Worried about getting into Chatt for 2015 [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:

Very nice. Did you buy up the remaining slots?

I guess it's better than having to hit refresh again and again for an hour hoping to get in, but a sellout 3 days after registration opens is still about 8 months too soon.

It will be interesting to see if Maryland and Louisville remain open another month? two months?
Quote Reply
Re: Worried about getting into Chatt for 2015 [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe WTC offers insurance now for such issues
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
deh20 wrote:
winchester wrote:

Very nice. Did you buy up the remaining slots?

I guess it's better than having to hit refresh again and again for an hour hoping to get in, but a sellout 3 days after registration opens is still about 8 months too soon.

It will be interesting to see if Maryland and Louisville remain open another month? two months?

In my area, about 90% of the athletes who did Chatt this year are signing up for IMKY next year. They all loved Chatt but the idea of IMKY in October Drew their attention
Quote Reply