Prev Next
Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'?
Quote | Reply
This should raise some eyebrows if this is adjusted for wave start
Last edited by: windschatten: Sep 7, 14 9:51
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6': Unreal [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Certainly raised my unibrow. I don't trust this guy.
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6': Unreal [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
This should raise some eyebrows....again

A proven pro Tour doper excelling at Tri, where there is virutally no testing?
Where have we seen this before?....

That's a shocker.

(and not even the good kind)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6': Unreal [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
A proven pro Tour doper excelling at Tri, where there is virutally no testing?
Where have we seen this before?....

That's a shocker.

(and not even the good kind)

"like"

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James B and/or Daniel S will beat him at Kona.

Matt Amman
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [M.AMMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The guys got some chops....you have to tip your hat to him.

Until you can provide he's cheated he's the winner.
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [Beachboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beachboy wrote:
The guys got some chops....you have to tip your hat to him.

Until you can provide he's cheated he's the winner.

Presumably you're kidding...

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...ping_past__4314.html

---

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
almost makes me sad my parents never doped me when I was younger...

edit: one in the pink
Last edited by: ThomasDJ_BE: Sep 7, 14 11:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope this guy is made to feel VERY uncomfortable at awards today.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am all for busting on this guy as he is a proven doper.

However, the bigger issue in my mind is that the AG race is largely untested both in competition and OOC... so the assumption that this is the only AGer with a doping history, or that even the assumption that only a very few AGers are doping seems silly to me. We just don't know, as they are not tested like the pro's.

AG racing is sort of the wild west. No testing (by and large) means it's hard to assume the positive or the negative.

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6': Unreal [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, Colom outbiked Gomez by two and a half minutes, and even road faster than the best pro bike split of Sanders by 34 seconds. What's that phrase again..... oh yeah: NOT NORMAL.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6': Unreal [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone needs to Sam Gyde him at awards!

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6': Unreal [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1000

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:

Oh agree completely. It's going around FB at this moment ;-)

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [Fred D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At this level of AG competition having a 6 min lead means he was riding/running circles around some of the best AG talent out there.

Which brings back up the question why he would not race Pro.

Racing Pro would be a token of good faith.
As that would give his performance (marginally) more credibility, even with the poor testing of Pros. But at least there is some out of competition testing, AFAIK(?).

Fred D wrote:

However, the bigger issue in my mind is that the AG race is largely untested both in competition and OOC... so the assumption that this is the only AGer with a doping history, or that even the assumption that only a very few AGers are doping seems silly to me. We just don't know, as they are not tested like the pro's.

AG racing is sort of the wild west. No testing (by and large) means it's hard to assume the positive or the negative.
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6': Unreal [Fred D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And Twitter!

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:

Agreed. And the audience needs to be clear, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
At this level of AG competition having a 6 min lead means he was riding/running circles around some of the best AG talent out there.

As that would give his performance (marginally) more credibility, even with the poor testing of Pros. But at least there is some out of competition testing, AFAIK(?).

I agree. I am no fan of Colom and don't think he really should be racing AG, rather he should race pro. My comment was more directed at the unregulated nature of AG racing.

Even #7 raced pro triathlon (and not amateur) after his cycling days...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That time, especially the bike, is pretty darn speedy. I rode a 2:18 today and can't imagine going about 15-16 min faster - there were a few hills on the course.

I really hope Daniel S does what Sam Gyde did at Frankfurt. Only reason I'd go to awards tonight is to boo.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope you do go and boo. Then cheer your ass off for Burke and Stubleski. The more people like you there, the better!

Edit to say, nice race - great bike split.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Sep 7, 14 12:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:

Fred D wrote:

The rumor is that he's going to turn pro next year. Let me count all the ways in which I am excited about that...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:

The rumor is that he's going to turn pro next year. Let me count all the ways in which I am excited about that...

I wouldn't worry Jordan. The honest and decent people in the sport such as yourself will always gather more attention and respect from people like myself (and I suspect many others) than ANY former doper.

Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was the rumor last year too. I guess he wasn't done beating up the little kids so needed another year to feed his ego. Still trains like a pro as well ... and in spain its interesting the amount of AG'ers that treat this guy like a hero

http://tonicolomworld.com/?page_id=196 ... and his moto is something like: "my past, my future, never give up"

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Last edited by: Dave Latourette: Sep 7, 14 14:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
call me naive here but what's the issue?

the guy is a former PRO cyclist. meaning automatically he's close to if not one of the best cyclist in triathlon. my assumption (please correct/educate me if i'm wrong) is that any of the guys on the pro tour (ie anyone from anytime at the tour de france) could likely step in and put out the best ride in an ironman (for me, a top 3 seems to be a safe assumption). why does it surprise everyone that a former professional cyclist is 6 mins faster than the best AG? what's more surprising is that this top AG'er is only 4 minutes slower than someone like a pro (someone said gomez was 2 mins faster than the best pro and 6 mins faster than the best AG, so the difference is 4 mins). that i feel raises more flags than colom's 6 min difference.

not to mention i don't see why people can't earn a second chance. ok, he realizes he needs to dope to race pro, decides he doesn't want to do it and still wants to race. any normal person would look at triathlon and think "hmm, i could do well there without requiring PED's".

the same thing happened when weiss won cozumel, people were up in arms. he seems to be a pretty good dude and is quite transparent with his anti doping passport etc. not to mention he has put in numerous other outputs that place him pretty well.

yeah, he doped, yeah, it sucks. but it didn't hurt you. could it hurt to give someone a second chance? do they not deserve to earn an living as well? especially if they no longer cheat.

john
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
call me naive here but what's the issue?

the guy is a former PRO cyclist. meaning automatically he's close to if not one of the best cyclist in triathlon. my assumption (please correct/educate me if i'm wrong) is that any of the guys on the pro tour (ie anyone from anytime at the tour de france) could likely step in and put out the best ride in an ironman (for me, a top 3 seems to be a safe assumption). why does it surprise everyone that a former professional cyclist is 6 mins faster than the best AG? what's more surprising is that this top AG'er is only 4 minutes slower than someone like a pro (someone said gomez was 2 mins faster than the best pro and 6 mins faster than the best AG, so the difference is 4 mins). that i feel raises more flags than colom's 6 min difference.

not to mention i don't see why people can't earn a second chance. ok, he realizes he needs to dope to race pro, decides he doesn't want to do it and still wants to race. any normal person would look at triathlon and think "hmm, i could do well there without requiring PED's".

the same thing happened when weiss won cozumel, people were up in arms. he seems to be a pretty good dude and is quite transparent with his anti doping passport etc. not to mention he has put in numerous other outputs that place him pretty well.

yeah, he doped, yeah, it sucks. but it didn't hurt you. could it hurt to give someone a second chance? do they not deserve to earn an living as well? especially if they no longer cheat.

john

Alternatively he could think "hey they don't do drug testing, what better place to continue my career!"

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply

Prev Next