Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Withings WS-30/WS-50 Wifi Scales
Quote | Reply
I've finally decided to invest in some decent scales and track my body weight more closely this season. Having done a bit of research, the Withings WS-30 or WS-50 look like good options for my needs at reasonable price, I'm not sure I'd need the extra functions of the WS-50 (or even how accurate and useful they are) but I'm open minded! I set up an account on their website, stuck in some manual entries and whilst their own website is pretty dire, it does appear to sync well to Training Peaks, MFP, and GC, so that's great.

All good so far, but I'm wondering about how accurate and precise the scales themselves are. Do they use the same technology/sensors for basic weight measurement? I've read a couple of mixed reviews regarding this online, which is what makes me a bit hesitant so far. I'm probably at the lighter end of the spectrum (~140 lbs) so precision is key if nothing else. I appreciate that accurately measured body weight will vary quite a bit day-to-day, so I'm expecting there to be some "noise" in the data, but I'm just wondering if anyone has found them to be any more or less consistent than competitors such as the Fitbit Aria?

Also, how do they rate for longevity? I understand they've been on the market for a good few years now, so how have they held up for you guys that have been using them long-term?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Withings WS-30/WS-50 Wifi Scales [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ive had my WS30 for 2-3yrs at least and its been great. Have accidently dropped things on it multiple times and made multiple moves with it and its held up fantastically. It reads very consistently and only needs a battery maybe once a year. The wireless upload has been seamless and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy another one if this one died today. I mostly just use the BF% reading as a check of hydration and don't really pay attention to the BMI thing so those two features aren't really useful to me, nor is the weather or air quality reading that the WS50 offer. It would be quicker and easier to just check my phone rather than stand on the scale for a minute while it cycles through the data.
Quote Reply
Re: Withings WS-30/WS-50 Wifi Scales [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using the WS50 since January so I cannot speak for long term. Every now and then I have to reconnect my Bluetooth (unpair and pair) and now and then it seems to switch from imperial to metric. Those things are minor because in general it has been 90% or better in terms of just stepping on and it works. Like Kyle I usually step off before it starts cycling through air quality and heart rate. The heart rate is not even close because I use the Withings blood pressure monitor soon after and the heart rate is at least 30 points off from the scale. Initial setup I thought was pretty easy.

What I do like is having the Withings app on my phone and it sharing data with health apps and calorie counter apps in a fairly automated process.

Overall I am happy with the purchase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the WS-30 for a good 4 years now. I've replaced batteries once and both myself and my wife use it regularly. One thing I would say about the accuracy is to ensure you place it in the same spot for each use. We've got tile flooring and I find if I move it from one spot to another I'll get a different reading even within the same 30 second time frame.

I think the funniest part of them is when people come over. They always inevitably get on the scale without knowing that the data will show up as an "Unknown measurement" in the app. We play a game of "Who do you think this weight belongs to" and then we delete them haha

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a WS-50 in March 2015.

The weight is very accurate. dcrainmaker found it agreed within 0.2% (ex - 198 not 198.4) with a BodPod setup. It's consistent in the same location, where I suspect that comes from my uneven bathroom floor with one foot completely unloaded when it calibrates itself. I line it up with the same points on the linoleum pattern so it behaves.

The body fat measurement can be fiction although dcrainmaker's tests only found median deviations of 3.3% and 4.4% in athlete and normal mode versus a BodPod, which determines density using air displacement plethysmography providing +/- 2.5% accuracy. For one user in his tests it read 12.8% and 7.1% low respectively (as in the difference in percentage, under-reporting fat mass by up to 61%). Another measured 3.5% and 5.6% high respectively where 43% excess fat mass is a big deal for an athlete targeting minimum safe weight.

Mine reports 3-4% in athlete mode which is impossibly low, although it's consistent at similar hydration levels when I weigh in after having my morning beverage and relieving myself. When I ignore the manual telling me not to and check on waking it can vary by a full percent which is 25%. I've been meaning to see where I'm at via DEXA or BodPod but haven't got around to it.

Sometimes the heart rate doesn't register at all, it's inconsistent, and I wouldn't count on it for standing resting pulse.

I get a spontaneous switch from pounds to kg almost every time I take a hot bath.

Beyond accuracy weighing, the big thing with WiThings is the best software ecosystem with support from programs like Golden Cheetah. It does a great job uploading data to the web site.
Last edited by: Drew Eckhardt: May 22, 15 6:14
Quote Reply
Re: Withings WS-30/WS-50 Wifi Scales [Drew Eckhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is very helpful, thanks everyone!

I'd read that the "Body Fat %" measurements were very unreliable to say the least, hence I'm thinking of just going for the WS-30. It's good to see that the weight measurement is consistent because that's the main reason I'm thinking of buying it!
Quote Reply