Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wired Powertap hub
Quote | Reply
Are these super risky buying online without verifying that they are having accurate power readings? Seen a couple cheap options and would just be using as a trainer wheel on the backup road bike. I have a Power2Max on my tri bike so this is just for the roadie.
Quote Reply
Re: Wired Powertap hub [Quincyceltic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I've been very happy with the wired pt. I think their rep is good. If you're buying it used on ebay, the only concern is cost. I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a box rim. wheelbuilder can build you a new ant+ version for ~$600.

I do love the LYC though.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As one of those sellers, I'll openly admit my conflict of interest here.

I'm upgrading to wireless Ptaps for ease of use/portability/intercompatibility reasons. Not data/reliability reasons. I had thousands of miles of good data. Especially easy/good if you're using it on a trainer, where the harness is less likely to get beat up.

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Re: Wired Powertap hub [Derf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh, one note .... wireless ain't free. you gotta remember that getting a wireless requires you to buy a joule or garmin or similar. the wired LYC is friggin perfect for the trainer.

Quote Reply
Re: Wired Powertap hub [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed entirely--wired units will last an eternity on the trainer. On the cost of a garmin vs LYC--getting your hands on wired LYC's can be tricky (should they, somehow, eject at 40mph...not speaking from experience or anything...)

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quincyceltic wrote:
Are these super risky buying online without verifying that they are having accurate power readings? Seen a couple cheap options and would just be using as a trainer wheel on the backup road bike. I have a Power2Max on my tri bike so this is just for the roadie.

I upgraded from a wired to a wireless, and in a lot of ways, the wired one is better. Only downsides to the wired model were 1) the wires, and 2) inability to upload to strava (which could actually be an UPside :) )

Also, using the wired LYC, you'll get better data precision and a smoother power number. I really miss the smoothness of mine.
Quote Reply
Re: Wired Powertap hub [Derf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anything sub $300 a good price? My main concern is ordering via a shady seller via Ebay and having it not work and/or be repairable
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With patience, definitely under $250. If it's a SL/G2 hub body (big carbon windows or the same style with an alloy shell), it can be retrofit later for $350 (or whatever it will be in the future) with G3 electronics.

Have a look here in these classifieds, too. There are a few as well.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quincyceltic wrote:

Anything sub $300 a good price? My main concern is ordering via a shady seller via Ebay and having it not work and/or be repairable

I sold mine for 125$ on the Forum, so 300$ is nuts for a complete wired setup. I bought a complete SL+ and wheel for 300$.

One thing to consider is whether the wired PT is rebuildable. It has a 12mm axle versus the current 15mm axle and as of two years ago Saris wasn't offering rebuilds of these old hubs, so things like a bearing replacement is risky. This may have changed
Quote Reply
Re: Wired Powertap hub [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had wired powertaps for years and they seem to be rock solid in my experience. The bearings can be replaced by your LBS, but they need to be aware that they need to be careful not to distort the torque tube when installing the new bearings, so need to keep everything square. I've bought 3 off ebay over the years and they've all worked perfectly and I'd trust them more than my P2max. They seem to either work or be obviously knackered with random readings, so if you buy off ebay it should be pretty apparent if it's knackered and you can get a refund off paypal.
Quote Reply
Re: Wired Powertap hub [Nobbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Random readings? What if the signal seems to drop out on fast / hard efforts on the trainer and then return after the effort returns to normal?
Quote Reply
Re: Wired Powertap hub [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The one I saw was 285 for front/rear wheel and all sensors + computer. Sound reasonable?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quincyceltic wrote:
The one I saw was 285 for front/rear wheel and all sensors + computer. Sound reasonable?

Well I wouldn't call it a screaming deal and if they are worn/kinda rough they will cost at least 350$ to fix (if they can be rebuilt). New G3s were about 550$ with Black Friday deals and I don't think they have made a wired PT for at least 5 years. My first PT was a wired unit and it just wasn't nearly as nice as the ANT+ models. If you already have an ANT+ computer, I bet you end up with buyer's remorse because the wireless PTs are much nicer.
Quote Reply