Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Will Quarq Riken BB30 + Rotor BSA30 in threaded bb work?
Quote | Reply
Can anyone confirm if the new quarq riken bb30 works in a standard BSA threaded bottom bracket if used with rotors bsa30 bottom bracket? Rotors website says the bsa30 will only work with their 3d+ cranks but I've seen some threads on slowtwitch that say the older quarqs with sram crank arms work with the bsa30 in a threaded bottom bracket.

Reason I'm asking is because I have 2 bikes that are bb30 and 1 bike that's BSA. I'd prefer to buy a bb30 crank now and not use any adapters if possible.

Below is a link to the crank I'm looking to purchase. It doesn't say who makes the crank arms but I'm guessing its non-labeled sram crank arms?

https://www.quarq.com/store/item/1725/#
Quote Reply
Re: Will Quarq Riken BB30 + Rotor BSA30 in threaded bb work? [hayai_240] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, I use that setup on a BMC SL01. Get a package of shims, you'll probably need them.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Quarq Riken BB30 + Rotor BSA30 in threaded bb work? [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy crap I have a 2012 BMC sl01! What a coincidence. Could you tell me how many shims you used on the drive and non-drive side? Where's a good place to order the bsa30 bottom bracket? Not many places sell it that look legit.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Quarq Riken BB30 + Rotor BSA30 in threaded bb work? [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to confirm, you have the latest quarq riken correct? Not an older quarq with sram arms.

https://www.quarq.com/store/item/1725/#
Quote Reply
Re: Will Quarq Riken BB30 + Rotor BSA30 in threaded bb work? [hayai_240] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a 2008 P3 and it was threaded. I used the rotor bsa30 BB and it worked. I did have quite a few shims on there though and the same on my NP3 and S5, quite a few shims. I have the Quarq Riken BB30.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Will Quarq Riken BB30 + Rotor BSA30 in threaded bb work? [afbadbrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did it affect the way it worked or felt having all those shims? Is the q-factor affected at all?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, totally. I've got a Riken on my P3. Actually, mine is a Riken spider on my original S975 crank arms, replaced under warranty.

I probably had to put 3 or 4 skinny nylon washers either side, and you need a wave washer for the NDS. Take a little care over maintaining the correct chainline. You've got it tight enough when the wave washer compresses slightly - but not totally flat - when you torque it up. Mine doesn't spin altogether freely, but it's not a worry.

I did have some difficulty with magnet placement, using the BB ring mount magnet. Ended up stacking up some smaller magnets. Works well but I do get the odd cadence drop/spike. I'm going to apply the firmware upgrade shortly that fires up the accelerometer.
Quote Reply