Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wilimovsky wins 10K OWS at World Championships...
Quote | Reply
Jordan Wilimovsky swam 1:49:48.2 to take WC 10K swim, which averages out to 1:05.9 per 100 m. He swam the last 2500 m loop in 26:03, or 1:02.5 per 100 m, or 15:38 for the last 1500 m. Had this race been in a LCM pool, allowing for a gain of about 2/3 sec per turn, he prob would've been around 15:18 for the last 1500 m. Some extremely impressive swimming; acc to USA Swimming, his best 1500 LCM is 14:56 and he went 14:33 to take 3rd in the 1650 at the NCAAs this past spring.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Last edited by: ericmulk: Jul 31, 15 20:55
Quote Reply
Re: Wilimovsky wins 10K OWS at World Championships... [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty awesome and a big step up.
I don't agree that he should get 2/3 secs per turn, maybe 1 second, but that would still be 29 seconds. So so fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Wilimovsky wins 10K OWS at World Championships... [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was at ncaas & his open 500 isnt that far off his 500 splits in the 1650. He is a beast. I dont remember how his walls were but he seemed shorter than his competitors which would force him to work harder off the walls.

He made the right choice redshirting, Im just happy he got a spot & can focus on the training. Maybe he can find a sewage treatment facility in CA to train in to replicate the conditions in Rio & bolster his immunity.
Quote Reply
Re: Wilimovsky wins 10K OWS at World Championships... [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Universal Sports has a ton of coverage of FINA WC, but sadly they are not covering OWS. Plenty of synchro, though- for the six people in the country who give a shit. (Instead of the six of us who give a shit about OWS)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The other interesting thing is Jordan slowed down his stroke rate moving into worlds. So much for those that say pool swimmers cant be open water swimmers & the others that say a fast stroke rate is necessary for open water success.
Quote Reply
Re: Wilimovsky wins 10K OWS at World Championships... [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
The other interesting thing is Jordan slowed down his stroke rate moving into worlds. So much for those that say pool swimmers cant be open water swimmers & the others that say a fast stroke rate is necessary for open water success.

Where did you read/see/hear this info??? Any insight on his stroke rate pre-WCs vs at WCs??? Did you count his strokes per length at the NCAAs???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was too busy watching the race to count strokes! That was one of the best races of the championships.

I get all my swim info from Mel Stewarts website, here you go:

http://swimswam.com/...ovsky-win-at-worlds/
Quote Reply
Re: Wilimovsky wins 10K OWS at World Championships... [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
Universal Sports has a ton of coverage of FINA WC, but sadly they are not covering OWS. Plenty of synchro, though- for the six people in the country who give a shit. (Instead of the six of us who give a shit about OWS)

It is a bummer. This is the only coverage I've found and it's not that great -- The women's 5k in Italian. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd3sret9FRU
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
I was too busy watching the race to count strokes! That was one of the best races of the championships.
I get all my swim info from Mel Stewart's website, here you go:
http://swimswam.com/...ovsky-win-at-worlds/

Ah yes, should've known the inside scoop would be from swimswam!!! Incidentally, Stewart swam at U. of Tenn here in Knoxville where i live. Saw him swim the 1000 free once in a dual meet against Alabama and he took 10 strokes/length while averaging 55/100 scy to go 9:10 for the 1000, which was prob just an average workout swim for him:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember you telling that story. I got to meet & spend a lot of time with Mike Barrowman at a swim clinic about the same time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
I remember you telling that story. I got to meet & spend a lot of time with Mike Barrowman at a swim clinic about the same time.

Ah, sorry to repeat myself but good memory:) It was a pretty powerful experience b/c I was sitting about 3 rows in the bleachers right behind his lane, so only maybe 15 ft or so behind the starting blocks.

So the clinic with Barrowman: were you a 200 breaststroker???

Last edited by: ericmulk: Aug 1, 15 21:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No aplogies needed, I would tell that story everytime I got the chance too!

Every swimmer goes through the phase where they think they are a breastroker? I thought I was for a few years in High School. Barrowman tought me more about training to race. Ironically,Inever fully realized that lesson until I started racing bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
No aplogies needed, I would tell that story everytime I got the chance too!

Every swimmer goes through the phase where they think they are a breastroker? I thought I was for a few years in High School. Barrowman tought me more about training to race. Ironically,Inever fully realized that lesson until I started racing bikes.

So can you share Big Mike's advice or is that classified info that I'd need to PM you for??? Barrowman was w/o doubt one of greatest swimmers; his 200 lcm breast WR stood for 10 yrs or more:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He just engrained in my head to race EVERYTHING. I had a hard time converting what I did in practice into racing & he told me to get competitive about everything. Nothing special but its different hearing that from someone of his stature.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
He just ingrained in my head to race EVERYTHING. I had a hard time converting what I did in practice into racing & he told me to get competitive about everything. Nothing special but its different hearing that from someone of his stature.

Ya, i can see that, definitely, definitely.

Quote Reply