Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Wildlife Loop Triathlon--$3,000 in Prize money--Half Distance---Black Hills South Dakota
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone, so I'm holding the Wildlife Loop Triathlon this year up in the Black Hills South Dakota on September 10th. It will be the 3rd year running. Its a 70.3 distance. There will be $3,000 in prize money for the first 3 overall male and female winners. So it would be $800 for 1st place, $400 for 2nd, and $300 for 3rd. There will also be age group awards and great swag. I just now added an Aquabike event also. The race has a challenging course starting off at about 5200 ft of elevation. This is the only Half Iron distance triathlon in South Dakota and the only race that i know of in the U.S. that you have a chance at seeing a buffalo on your bike route, not including the many other different kinds of wildlife including mountain goats, elk, eagles, beavers and many others. This event is also very close to Mt. Rushmore National Monument, and many other attractions you can see.

Price is 180$ but sign up now and use the code FIRSTTIME and get 30% OFF which comes out to be 126$. You wont find a Half anywhere like this..or this cheap!

I'm trying to grow the event so triathlon can become bigger in this area, so if you could help and share this event and go like our facebook page that would be great! Thanks! Also if you have any questions just reply here or message the facebook page for a quicker response! Hope to see you in September!

Thanks~
~Brandon

https://www.facebook.com/wildlifelooptriathlon/

http://www.active.com/...-loop-triathlon-2016
Last edited by: BrandonZelfer: Jul 6, 16 20:10
Quote Reply
Re: Wildlife Loop Triathlon--$3,000 in Prize money--Half Distance---Black Hills South Dakota [BrandonZelfer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish I could make that race. I hope it does well, because I would love to try it someday. I want to give a plug to that area. I grew up near there, and if anyone is looking for a race that you can turn into a family location, there is a ton of stuff to do. Spearfish canyon is beautiful, Custer state park has great wildlife, and Crazy Horse monument makes Mt Rushmore look like a sandcastle. Also, just a short trip across the state line is Devil's Tower. It is a very underrated region that is definitely worth the visit.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildlife Loop Triathlon--$3,000 in Prize money--Half Distance---Black Hills South Dakota [BrandonZelfer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The primary question to you is: Will you be better prepared this year compared to last year's "problematic" race?
Accurate race distances? Enough volunteers? Accurately marked routes? Basic supplies necessary to put on event of this distance?
You issued a bit of a mea culpa after the race last year. Are all thos issues resolved for 2016? Prize $$$ is great, but a safe race is more important.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: Wildlife Loop Triathlon--$3,000 in Prize money--Half Distance---Black Hills South Dakota [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can find a race that hasn't had problems the first few years that it started you let me know. I made it clear to everyone the morning of the race that volunteers didn't show up and that there would be changes. And yes the wind blew the buoys in over night and I didn't have a boat that morning to fix it so yes it was a little short. If you were actually at this race you would of known this. The first year I held it, it cost me $4,000 in the hole and last year was a good chunk as well to buy things to have it. If I could actually afford to pay people to show up and volunteer i would love to. I also am the only one that does all the planning,advertising...everything for this race. If people were more willing to help with this sport in this area that would be awesome. That's one of the things I'm trying to grow around here.
I am also not going to ask you what "basic supplies necessary" your talking about because I had them. And as for the "safe race" thing, its just as safe as any other race.

I also talked to most the athletes if not all after the race and asked what they liked and disliked. I even emailed them and asked on things that could be improved on ect. Everyone knew why the course was shortened and why things were the way they were, so out of everyone that i talked to and emailed nobody had bad things to say about it knowing what the circumstances were.
If you would like to come and race it this year please let me know because i would be more than happy to show you that its not a "problematic" race and will get you a free entry to it.

Thanks~
~Brandon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrandonZelfer wrote:
If you can find a race that hasn't had problems the first few years that it started you let me know. I made it clear to everyone the morning of the race that volunteers didn't show up and that there would be changes. And yes the wind blew the buoys in over night and I didn't have a boat that morning to fix it so yes it was a little short. If you were actually at this race you would of known this. The first year I held it, it cost me $4,000 in the hole and last year was a good chunk as well to buy things to have it. If I could actually afford to pay people to show up and volunteer i would love to. I also am the only one that does all the planning,advertising...everything for this race. If people were more willing to help with this sport in this area that would be awesome. That's one of the things I'm trying to grow around here.
I am also not going to ask you what "basic supplies necessary" your talking about because I had them. And as for the "safe race" thing, its just as safe as any other race.

I also talked to most the athletes if not all after the race and asked what they liked and disliked. I even emailed them and asked on things that could be improved on ect. Everyone knew why the course was shortened and why things were the way they were, so out of everyone that i talked to and emailed nobody had bad things to say about it knowing what the circumstances were.
If you would like to come and race it this year please let me know because i would be more than happy to show you that its not a "problematic" race and will get you a free entry to it.

Thanks~
~Brandon

Brandon,
Your response is gutting.. Sometimes, you should write the response, BUT DON'T HIT SEND.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H27l-de9OjI

I have been watching your race for a while, and hoping that I can get out west sometime and do your race.

Don't be defensive, don't insult the customer. This race is your baby, I get that.. And you are a little butt hurt that someone called out your issues, I get that too.. But, rather than going the negative route and giving more excuses, take the high road man.. don't alienate yourself!

There are a couple of other RDs that have taken your route on ST.. They don't exactly reach the summit!

Austin Hardy, fan of independent races...

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Re: Wildlife Loop Triathlon--$3,000 in Prize money--Half Distance---Black Hills South Dakota [Aust1227] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input and your right I will be defensive when someone is trashing the event when they weren't even there.

That's why I offered for him to come and try it for himself and prove to him that it wasn't what he said it was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ooooh I'd love this. Did the DMTM last year and loved the area. Unfortunately not a cheap flight from PHL. Good luck with your race.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This has been on my radar for a the last couple years. I grew up in Custer, and have raced the Iron Creek XTERRA (even won that one over-all a couple years back) and the Dakota Five-0, my wife has done Leading Ladies...and my favorite bike ride ANYWHERE is hitting the Needles Highway at about 5:00 AM in July/August. Great area to get on the bike...road or mountain, and I grew up riding my bike from Custer to Stockade and fished all day when there were still free-range kids like myself running around. We live in Wyoming and I still have a lot of family in the Black Hills, so it's always nice to head that way for a race.

I've been battling some foot issues the last couple of years that has forced me on the bike for 95% of my training, but as soon as my foot comes around, this will be one of the first races I seek. Is it USATF sanctioned/certified?
Quote Reply
Re: Wildlife Loop Triathlon--$3,000 in Prize money--Half Distance---Black Hills South Dakota [InWyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
InWyo wrote:
This has been on my radar for a the last couple years. I grew up in Custer, and have raced the Iron Creek XTERRA (even won that one over-all a couple years back) and the Dakota Five-0, my wife has done Leading Ladies...and my favorite bike ride ANYWHERE is hitting the Needles Highway at about 5:00 AM in July/August. Great area to get on the bike...road or mountain, and I grew up riding my bike from Custer to Stockade and fished all day when there were still free-range kids like myself running around. We live in Wyoming and I still have a lot of family in the Black Hills, so it's always nice to head that way for a race.

I've been battling some foot issues the last couple of years that has forced me on the bike for 95% of my training, but as soon as my foot comes around, this will be one of the first races I seek. Is it USATF sanctioned/certified?

Thats awesome InWyo. I've done the XTERRA as well and its a good one. Thats cool hearing about your story growing up. It is a great place to grow up. I grew up more so out near the Badlands, I wish it was the forest though lol. Riding the Needles is probably the best. There used to be a road race that went up that, that were trying to bring back so hopefully you could come back for that as well! Cant wait to hear good news on your foot and see you out here! Good luck!

Yes it is USAT santioned and certified
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks great. Good luck Brandon!
Quote Reply
Re: Wildlife Loop Triathlon--$3,000 in Prize money--Half Distance---Black Hills South Dakota [niagirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you're and your are two different words.. you should fix it on your fb page...
Quote Reply
Re: Wildlife Loop Triathlon--$3,000 in Prize money--Half Distance---Black Hills South Dakota [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:

I don't think it's going to be the deciding factor on whether or not someone does the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildlife Loop Triathlon--$3,000 in Prize money--Half Distance---Black Hills South Dakota [niagirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niagirl wrote:
Looks great. Good luck Brandon!

Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrandonZelfer wrote:
ahhchon wrote:

I don't think it's going to be the deciding factor on whether or not someone does the race.

I was going to sign up...but then saw a typo ;) Now I'm iffy.

Seriously though, if there's no running race I have to do that day I'll try to be available to volunteer this year at the event, Brandon.

---
KyleKranz.com
Win a pair of SKORA Running Shoes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like an awesome race. Unfortunately its not in the cards for me to do any travelling races this year. Hopefully you make it into one that stays around...I'd like to visit that part of the country one year.

I gotta agree with the one poster, there will ALWAYS be people that complain, whether they have a valid complaint or not. Don't feed them by showing them you are upset. I get that you are passionate about the race you are building up, you need that to organize a large event. MOST participants understand that it takes a few years to work out the kinks for a new race, even under a seasoned RD. Just take a breath, punch the air. take a walk, etc... before you respond. A public argument with customers is a killer.

Best of luck to you. Hope to do this race sometime soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildlife Loop Triathlon--$3,000 in Prize money--Half Distance---Black Hills South Dakota [IHOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IHOP wrote:
Looks like an awesome race. Unfortunately its not in the cards for me to do any travelling races this year. Hopefully you make it into one that stays around...I'd like to visit that part of the country one year.

I gotta agree with the one poster, there will ALWAYS be people that complain, whether they have a valid complaint or not. Don't feed them by showing them you are upset. I get that you are passionate about the race you are building up, you need that to organize a large event. MOST participants understand that it takes a few years to work out the kinks for a new race, even under a seasoned RD. Just take a breath, punch the air. take a walk, etc... before you respond. A public argument with customers is a killer.

Best of luck to you. Hope to do this race sometime soon.

Hope you can make it out IHOP. Awesome name by the way haha. Also I wasn't mad that he complained about things that went wrong. It was the fact that he wouldn't know because he wasn't even there to compete or watch it lol.
And unfortunately I don't think gas is going to get much cheaper for you to have a no cost road trip to this area! haha
Quote Reply
Re: Wildlife Loop Triathlon--$3,000 in Prize money--Half Distance---Black Hills South Dakota [kylekranz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kylekranz wrote:
BrandonZelfer wrote:
ahhchon wrote:

I was going to sign up...but then saw a typo ;) Now I'm iffy.

Seriously though, if there's no running race I have to do that day I'll try to be available to volunteer this year at the event, Brandon.

Hey, the only running race I know of is the Sundance trail runs. Unfortunately i dont get many dates to chose from with it being in the State Park!. That would be great if you could volunteer, although ide rather much see you compete!
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would love to do it some day. Unfortunately, that "some day" is not going to be for at least a few years to come. But looked awesome when I first found it a few years ago, and still looks awesome today!
Quote Reply
Re: Wildlife Loop Triathlon--$3,000 in Prize money--Half Distance---Black Hills South Dakota [gantaliano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gantaliano wrote:
Would love to do it some day. Unfortunately, that "some day" is not going to be for at least a few years to come. But looked awesome when I first found it a few years ago, and still looks awesome today!

Awesome! Hope to see you soon then!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next