Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Wildflower Thoughts
Quote | Reply
Just still recovering from my first Wildflower this past weekend. Also my first 70.3. Finished with a surprising 30:41 swim. A sub-par 3:11 bike (aluminum road bike in the drops), and a hard 1:58 combined run.
The run was so brutal, and found myself walking 4 of the big hills.

How did everyone do? Things they would do differently? How'd you like the split run?
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Thoughts [srose3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey don't be so hard on yourself. Congrats on your first. A hard one.

And read Jesse Thomas's blog I believe he said he walked some of the hills too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Competed in my 4th WF this last weekend.
It was sad to see how few people were there for an event that at one time seemed bigger than any IM branded event I had been to.
Not sure why so few people signed up, still a fun race and the water wasnt bad at all.
Who else was there?
I am guessing maybe 30% registrants compared to normal years.

If you werent there this year, put it this way. T1/T2 that usually takes up the entire parking lot pretty much, and then they clear out the Long Course racers and rake the Oly racers on Sunday, had about 1/3 of the parking lot fenced out and half of that was for LC and half for Oly and Mtb.

Anyone hear any rumblings about the race?
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Thoughts [Team_Doc28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was surprised as well. I have friends that did it saying that 5k people used to sign up and this year there was about 2.2k all together??

And what do you mean by rumblings?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think a lot of people did not sign up because of the triple transition/split run race. Personally I thought it was awesome and one of the best half IM's I have done (this was my 4th Wildflower, and I am at around 80 half IM's). While I did not walk the steepest hills, it would have been just as fast (or faster) if I had walked them, but I am doing an IM soon and I just did not want to give myself the option of walking. My run was a lot slower than in the past (1:28 in 96, 1:35 in 2007, 1:35 2010, 1:47 2015). Part of this is being older and recovering from a bad crash 4 years ago, but most if it was that first run shelling my legs like it would in a duathlon. I also jogged down the final Lynch Hill....I did not want to trash my legs too badly for my next race. In the end I got my first podium at Wildflower (2nd in 50-54)....maybe part of that was less fast guys showing up (well, I know some of the fast guys who did not race), but I can only race who shows up.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Thoughts [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tend to agree with the thought that people are put off by the split transition and run. It's a shame, because they did miss out on a great weekend of racing. It was kinda weird to pull into the park and have your choice of camping spots though :-)

Not heard any rumblings about any changes at Wildflower. Now if we can just get a good season or two of rain!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't do long course but I did the other two, beat my previous times in both, and had a blast. If it's this fun with lower lake levels and lower attendance then I don't know if I can handle the typical level of Wildflower fun!

Alex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. This was my first time at Wildflower and I had a blast. The split format is funky, but it really is just a challenge that shows who are the best athletes. I will be going back for sure. I wish I could have seen it in its heyday. It is at the top of my list for favorite races now. The TriCal crew is like family after one weekend of hanging around them.

derekgarcia.com
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Thoughts [derek5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
derek5 wrote:
I agree. This was my first time at Wildflower and I had a blast. The split format is funky, but it really is just a challenge that shows who are the best athletes. I will be going back for sure. I wish I could have seen it in its heyday. It is at the top of my list for favorite races now. The TriCal crew is like family after one weekend of hanging around them.

This year was pretty cool. Probably a few less people than 1996, but not that much less. Made for much nicer racing. The split format coming out of that "pit" from the Lake at T1 just added to the epic-ness of the entire thing. I will likely be back next year, unless I go to St. Croix....I've done each event 4 times now and I really am torn on this weekend every year in May!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another issue I have heard from a lot of folks who used to do WF is the race has just become WAY too expensive!!

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was my first Wildflower and I went as a spectator only, but holy cow was this event awesome! What an incredible atmosphere, impressively organized with all the shuttles and even the marked, roped off spectator paths. The bike shuttle after the race so you don't have to walk or ride your bike up that hill after a long day on the race course, awesome! It's small details like that that show how much the RD and organizers really care about both athletes and their support crews, which I greatly appreciate.

This was a very spectator friendly course. I was able to catch my athlete at 7 different spots on the half course. Granted I jogged a mile or so from point to point, but you could even see the athletes 4 or 5 separate times without having to move more than 100 yards. The pro race was fun to watch as well. Jesse Thomas is a class act and the women's race was a literal fight to the finish. The volunteers were amazing. And with fewer attendees we got a primo camping spot despite getting in late in the day on Friday.

While I didn't race, I did do the run course and even on a nice cool morning it was seriously tough. Even on fresh legs, I walked the hills, so no shame in that. This course is about having guts, and the double run with transitions up steep boat ramps just further reinforces that.

Screw the "it's expensive!" excuses, it's comparable cost to a WTC race and an incredible experience. We traveled over 2500 miles for this race and will plan on making the trip again so I can get a turn to race!

http://trainingwheelsrequired.wordpress.com
@KellyNCollier
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Thoughts [kncollier2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When does registration usually open up? I want a change from St. George for an early half.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The race was awesome Dev (even though you caught me on the run). But there were over 2K entrants in the long course in 2013 and a bit more than 600 this year. The issues with the swim have really impacted participation, even though to me it was the same atmosphere and the same ass-kicking race (my ass was kicked that is). These numbes are back down to when I first raced there in the early 90s, but not where it was a few years ago.

Having St. George on the same weekend doesn't help either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was my first WF also! Wound up 21 OA, 4th AG (25-29), final time of 5:00.

I was the athlete who traveled with kncollier and I agree with many of her points.

The rd/venue - great. We camped in campground and got in Friday afternoon and were pleased to find so many open spots! Being a mile from transition was really nice and made even better by the fact that there was a shuttle running all day to cart you back and forth. The shower trailers were super clean (and awesome after that hot day), there was plenty of water all around the venue, and the expo had a decent variety of food. We didn't have a car and flew in so we relied on the expo vendors for 90% of our meals.

The race itself - AWESOME. Ive heard so much about WF over the years but its location is so far from us that I don't personally know anyone who has done it first hand. I came in to it feeling pretty good about the course. The 2.2mi run at the start was quite the change, but made for a unique race. I intentionally took those 2mi easy to prep myself for the bike. The bike course was nothing out of the ordinary for me. 4000' of climb is pretty easily doable out here in Western PA but the road surface is what made that course hard. Those 20mi between the 20mi aid station and Nasty Grade felt like 20mi of riding on rumble strips. The run though, wow. I was not prepared for that run. I walked the big hills and walked through each aid station to give myself a quick breather. The hardest part for me was once again the sun though, my body was just not prepared for 5 hours of intense direct sun like that.

The rest - also awesome. Every volunteer out there deserves so much credit. Those guys and gals made that race so spectacular. Every aid station was so well ran and the volunteers knew exactly what to do whether it was dousing you on the run course or a perfect bottle grab on the bike. Seriously cant say enough good things about them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is my second consecutive year doing Wildflower so the alternate course setup is all I know. I really can't imagine it being any more fun, even with a "traditional" swim bike run. Anybody choosing not to do the race because the format is different is really missing out BIG time. I echo all the previous comments that the race organization, venue, and volunteers are phenomenal. To my surprise, the water level and conditions were actually slightly improved over last year. The bike course is tough (especially the bumpy section in the middle) and the run is of course brutal. I did manage to go an hour faster than last year due to a combination of improved fitness, a better nutrition strategy, and the slightly cooler weather. I managed to stave off cramping and run all but a section of the steepest hills. The only disappointment was seeing how down the attendance was this year. I'm hoping people read these comments and realize that this race is truly one of a kind, possibly even more so with the different format.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Thoughts [Snowvols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Registration is pretty easy for the race since they don't really limit size. That being said, I would really look into logistics for how you will get there and camp etc... It is not very close to any airport so transportation is a bit of a hassle compared to other bigger city races. If you live anywhere within a day drive of the venue it is worth driving. I drove up from San Diego on thursday (about a 6 hour drive) and it was a really easy trip. Though I know plenty of people who drove as far as Seattle.

derekgarcia.com
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Thoughts [kyle h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kyle h wrote:
Was my first WF also! Wound up 21 OA, 4th AG (25-29), final time of 5:00.

I was the athlete who traveled with kncollier and I agree with many of her points.

The rd/venue - great. We camped in campground and got in Friday afternoon and were pleased to find so many open spots! Being a mile from transition was really nice and made even better by the fact that there was a shuttle running all day to cart you back and forth. The shower trailers were super clean (and awesome after that hot day), there was plenty of water all around the venue, and the expo had a decent variety of food. We didn't have a car and flew in so we relied on the expo vendors for 90% of our meals.

The race itself - AWESOME. Ive heard so much about WF over the years but its location is so far from us that I don't personally know anyone who has done it first hand. I came in to it feeling pretty good about the course. The 2.2mi run at the start was quite the change, but made for a unique race. I intentionally took those 2mi easy to prep myself for the bike. The bike course was nothing out of the ordinary for me. 4000' of climb is pretty easily doable out here in Western PA but the road surface is what made that course hard. Those 20mi between the 20mi aid station and Nasty Grade felt like 20mi of riding on rumble strips. The run though, wow. I was not prepared for that run. I walked the big hills and walked through each aid station to give myself a quick breather. The hardest part for me was once again the sun though, my body was just not prepared for 5 hours of intense direct sun like that.

The rest - also awesome. Every volunteer out there deserves so much credit. Those guys and gals made that race so spectacular. Every aid station was so well ran and the volunteers knew exactly what to do whether it was dousing you on the run course or a perfect bottle grab on the bike. Seriously cant say enough good things about them.

You had a great race, congrats.

For reasons I won't bore anyone with; I had my best (of any) race since 2009 and was 3 minutes slower than you. I did the event in '89 - '91 then '11 - '15. Love the race. Didn't think the road overall was an issue. Each year I come to that section and go "oh ya, hang tight, it'll be ok soon enough" - for the run, the times of some of the fast guys (and gals) are just amazing. 'cuz, to me I can think of only a few minutes where I was able to get into a groove and "flow." Most of the time it's turn here, little uphill (or big) there, or for me the downhills were tough (age, and some lingering quad "issues").

Meeting Tom and Dev, etc. were bonuses. I had a great time.

Best to all.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a challenging course and congrats on your first 70.3. It is on the other coast but sounds like something I'd like to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I came to help Emilio w the DeSoto booth, and hang out w/ Slowman and Monty. Yes, the numbers were down, but I think 50% more athletes, plus their families and fans, would be just enough.
I met two ladies who drove down from Calgary to do the Olympic Distance race, and they were really having a blast on Saturday.
Next year, I want to swim in a relay and then do the mountain bike tri. But I'll have to learn to ride offroad. Slowman said that bike course was really tough.
Glad you rookies made the effort to try something new, and the veterans came back to race.
See y'all in 2016!

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Team_Doc28 wrote:
Not sure why so few people signed up, still a fun race and the water wasnt bad at all.
Who else was there?
I am guessing maybe 30% registrants compared to normal years.

Registration has been down a ton the last 2 years which corresponds to both the intensification of the drought and the resultant course change as well as the new IMSG 70.3 date.

Either of those things independently probably would not have been as big of an impact but together I think they've been killer. I know a lot of SoCal athletes who used to all form up for WF caravans who have been heading to SG instead. Oceanside now sells out instantly as well whereas there used to be a bit more competition between the two for the early-season LC market (not everyone wants to / can do both).

Everyone likes to sit around and talk about how WTC is the devil and we should support the few independent races that are left but when it comes down to it what people really mean is "You should support them while I go do a branded event instead".
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Thoughts [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This

tgarson wrote:
Everyone likes to sit around and talk about how WTC is the devil and we should support the few independent races that are left but when it comes down to it what people really mean is "You should support them while I go do a branded event instead".
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Thoughts [JoshTriNW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoshTriNW wrote:
This

tgarson wrote:

I race because of the course. I love Donner, whether it is 70.3 or not. I would do Tahoe, 70.3 or not. would love to do WF again, just needs water first. I do like to do races that are USAT though.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Thoughts [kncollier2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kelly, completely agree!

Cost? Ok so it's not cheap registration, and you have to pay for camping ... We went to watch my son race at Oceanside, race was as expensive, and we had to pay for two hotel rooms for two nights (4 people) So WF was no more $$$, and actually less than Oceanside. And while each race was great in their own way, WF is an event.
The volunteers are always so into supporting the athletes, I made sure to high five all of them I could! The on course race support was superb (I unfortunately had to take advantage of their services at mile 12 and 20 as result of a bee sting and history of reactions.)

The water was typical lake water, temp and clarity were very adequate, and yes there was plenty enough water for the swim! The split transition and run just added to the adventure. The preparations to support each made it very simple. The course is still WF, tough from the moment you get out of the water, and plenty of hills. I think the split course benefits the stronger runners too.

Seems that all of the comments of the people that were there are pretty positive, and look to return again to be challenged by a tough race and a great event!
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Thoughts [JoshTriNW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoshTriNW wrote:
This

tgarson wrote:

I did 8 WTC races last year (still did 6 local independent events) and even I came out to do WF....the world must be upside down LOL!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You got me there devashish_paul... alas you need no convincing on how awesome Wildflower is! It's the newbies that are scared off by the different course and attracted to the shiny light that is Ironman St. George. I'm not anti-WTC, as I'd love to do St. George (and I'm signed up for Canada). It just sucks that WTC's strategy is to kill off their "competition" with their brand power by scheduling races on the same day. It seems rather shortsighted and a detriment to building the sport of triathlon over the long term.

BTW, h20fun you totally missed out because there was plenty of "h20 fun" at Wildflower!
Quote Reply

Prev Next