Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wildflower Olympic & LC 2014. Some thoughts and advcie
Quote | Reply
I spent the last 4 days at Wildflower leading two different camps and took up a lot of info about the changes that will happen this year. Here are my thoughts....

The Long Course and Olympic will be a swim, run, bike, run. Due to the extremely low water level, the swim will take place in a different part of the lake (Harris Creek) than normal (Lynch). The water has been tested and is safe but it's not super clear. The water is pretty warm (USAT Official measure there on Sunday was 64.5 deg). The edge of the lake (start & exit) is pretty deep silt but the RD (Terry Davis) is building a proper ramp for entrance and exit). The good news is that it'll probably be glassy: it could blow a gale and not get much of a ripple since it's a small body of water now and sits down low in the canyon. Also, sighting will be easy as there are plenty of nearby hillsides in the back ground with cuts and trees and such.

After the swim athletes will proceed up the bottom of a boat ramp and on the edge of that will be - T1A - essentially a transition area where you can strip your wettie put it in a bag that you'll get at registration (you'll get two actually, one to stuff your warm ups into), it'll have you number on it and you can leave that there as race org will deliver that back over to Lynch for you to pick up after you finish. You'll put on your run shoes and start the 2+ mile run to T1 - the normal transition area at Lynch.

This run is tough. It starts with a very long, steep club up the Harris Creek boat ramp, up a park road and then up a bit more 'til it finally flattens out. I'm gonna guess and say ~350m of up hill running, steep at bottom (10%? 12%? more?) and a hair less steep on the upper half. Then the run is a bit more humane for a while. Most of the first mile of the run will be known to those how have raced WF in the past because you'll be running on the normal oly/LC run course backwards from Harris Creek to the bottom of Beach Hill (that's the first dirt section of the normal run courses). At that point you'll ease off the paved road, drop down to your right and onto a road that has been plowed into the dry lake bed. This is soft sand in places, has one small bump in it and pops out at the very bottom of the Lynch boat ramp. Then you have to run up the entire Lynch ramp (again, steep, hard) to finally arrive at the regular transition area where your bike will be waiting. Advice on this first run: 1) bring a pair of run shoes specific for this run segment between swim and bike. Preferably ones that you can run in sans socks (use Blist-O-Ban before the start on risky spots on your feet to help avoid blisters). These shoes will be wet from post swim dripping and then will be sandy/muddy/dirty after the run. You probably won't want to wear these for the longer run after the bike. 2) If you're crazy fit and have big goals then jog the Harris ramp. If your a bit less fit and have more modest goals walk the Harris ramp and hold your run 'til your up on the less steep bit up by the Harris parking lot.

The bike is the bike is the bike - same exact courses as have been for years. The rollers are still beautiful, Jolon is still rough, nasty grade is still nasty.

The runs for both Oly and Long Course will be ~2 miles shorter. IMHO the Long Course run benefits nicely from the 2 mile snip because "the pit" is gone. You'll come out of the Lupine Meadow area (flat, dirt, baseball diamond, in the mile 9ish area) and when you step onto pavement you make a left and run ~1.5 mi home rather than the norm which is to make a right and run down into the pit, turn around and run back out. The Olympic course is harder (relatively harder, since it is only a 4mi run now) and this is because you have to run up Beach Hill. It's long, at ~1k and it's very steep. Once you're at the top of it you have ~1.5 mi of running to do that's pretty nice but getting up there is tough.

Odds and ends: RD is urging all to rack their bike the day before and leave it over night so that you can catch one shuttle from up on top of the camping area down to Harris start. Many of us like to see our bike in the morning (tire pressure check, nutrition/hydration detail). You could shuttle down to the transition area, make final touches and then walk the two miles to Harris for the start - it's an option. Only athletes will be shuttled to Harris for the start - no family or friends, they can walk if they want. If there was ever a race where you wanted to double check that your name and phone number are in your wetsuit - this is it. Lastly, there's always one or two who will be tempted to run barefoot from Harris to Lynch - respect, but don't do it. The dry lake bed is loaded with dangerous human detritus. I saw rusted cables, broken beer bottles, torn aluminum cans and more. Much of this hidden in the sand on the second half of the run. A swim warm up will be unlikely as the RD wants to try and keep the churn up of silty bottom to a minimum - consider bringing some resistance bands for a dry-land warm up.

Best of luck to all, wish I could be there with ya but PATCO Dallas holds sway.

Ian

PS. The mountain bike is 100% new and different and probably better but I'm less sure of those details so I'm holding back.

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Olympic & LC 2014. Some thoughts and advcie [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish the race success this year. I did it last year and it was a heck of an experience. Having said that I can see less people coming in from out of town to race. Is Jesse Thomas racing this year? How is the rest of the pro lineup
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Olympic & LC 2014. Some thoughts and advcie [SdB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't looked closely at the prolist but after speaking the to the RD he said that numbers were only down slightly from last year and I'm please to hear that. Mostly athletes look at WF as a big challenge, a tough course and it is. That "heartiness" shouldn't deter too many from the changes this year - I think most will just look at it as a bit of an adventure and a fun day.

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Olympic & LC 2014. Some thoughts and advcie [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Lastly, there's always one or two who will be tempted to run barefoot from Harris to Lynch - respect, but don't do it.

Lots of good nuggets of info, but this especially.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for that, this year will be my 1st LC at WF.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks a bunch for the write-up.

Mostly kinda what I thought, re: Elevation from swim to bike.

Any chance the water will warm up to be non-wetsuit legal (I hope so, but doubt it)?

Thanks again,
keith

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Olympic & LC 2014. Some thoughts and advcie [SdB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No Jesse this year. Still in rehab mode.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
...The mountain bike is 100% new and different and probably better but I'm less sure of those details so I'm holding back.

If anyone knows anything about the mountain bike course, please share!

Thanks
Alex
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Olympic & LC 2014. Some thoughts and advcie [alexabbas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if the swim ever took place at Harris Creek in past years or is this the first time in the events history that the swim had to be moved due to low water levels?
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Olympic & LC 2014. Some thoughts and advcie [toreishi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey guys! Just to clear it up, I am planning on racing Wildflower this year. Foot is definitely still on the mend, but the running is progressing nicely and if it continues on that path the next two weeks I think I'll be ready to run 2 miles then 11 miles. Looking forward to it, and I'll be down there regardless of what happens. Just wanted to make sure the info was correct! Thanks!

leapdaysports.com
@jessemthomas
Facebook
jesse@leapdaysports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Olympic & LC 2014. Some thoughts and advcie [jessemthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, wanted to say huge thanks to Ian for the in-depth review of the course change, what to look for, etc. A huge help. I'm totally looking forward to the change up as I think it just adds another element of craziness to this event. Sounds fun. Thanks again!

leapdaysports.com
@jessemthomas
Facebook
jesse@leapdaysports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
The Long Course and Olympic will be a swim, run, bike, run.
Sounds a bit like Alcatraz!

Jason Pedersen
RunPd.com - Running as fast I can since '93
@jasonpedersen
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Olympic & LC 2014. Some thoughts and advcie [Jason P] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run PD - it seems like that, just in the format but the Alcatraz run is flat and, what? 1200m tops. This run is BRUTAL as it kicks off with a 300+ meter, straight up a wall to get out of the bottom of the pit that the lake (read: puddle) now sits. After that the run isn't too back 'til it pops out at the bottom of the Lynch boat ramp and that thing's long and steep to. I think athletes might get their pulse up a bit!

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
I spent the last 4 days at Wildflower leading two different camps and took up a lot of info about the changes that will happen this year. Here are my thoughts....

The Long Course and Olympic will be a swim, run, bike, run. Due to the extremely low water level, the swim will take place in a different part of the lake (Harris Creek) than normal (Lynch). The water has been tested and is safe but it's not super clear. The water is pretty warm (USAT Official measure there on Sunday was 64.5 deg). The edge of the lake (start & exit) is pretty deep silt but the RD (Terry Davis) is building a proper ramp for entrance and exit). The good news is that it'll probably be glassy: it could blow a gale and not get much of a ripple since it's a small body of water now and sits down low in the canyon. Also, sighting will be easy as there are plenty of nearby hillsides in the back ground with cuts and trees and such.

After the swim athletes will proceed up the bottom of a boat ramp and on the edge of that will be - T1A - essentially a transition area where you can strip your wettie put it in a bag that you'll get at registration (you'll get two actually, one to stuff your warm ups into), it'll have you number on it and you can leave that there as race org will deliver that back over to Lynch for you to pick up after you finish. You'll put on your run shoes and start the 2+ mile run to T1 - the normal transition area at Lynch.

This run is tough. It starts with a very long, steep club up the Harris Creek boat ramp, up a park road and then up a bit more 'til it finally flattens out. I'm gonna guess and say ~350m of up hill running, steep at bottom (10%? 12%? more?) and a hair less steep on the upper half. Then the run is a bit more humane for a while. Most of the first mile of the run will be known to those how have raced WF in the past because you'll be running on the normal oly/LC run course backwards from Harris Creek to the bottom of Beach Hill (that's the first dirt section of the normal run courses). At that point you'll ease off the paved road, drop down to your right and onto a road that has been plowed into the dry lake bed. This is soft sand in places, has one small bump in it and pops out at the very bottom of the Lynch boat ramp. Then you have to run up the entire Lynch ramp (again, steep, hard) to finally arrive at the regular transition area where your bike will be waiting. Advice on this first run: 1) bring a pair of run shoes specific for this run segment between swim and bike. Preferably ones that you can run in sans socks (use Blist-O-Ban before the start on risky spots on your feet to help avoid blisters). These shoes will be wet from post swim dripping and then will be sandy/muddy/dirty after the run. You probably won't want to wear these for the longer run after the bike. 2) If you're crazy fit and have big goals then jog the Harris ramp. If your a bit less fit and have more modest goals walk the Harris ramp and hold your run 'til your up on the less steep bit up by the Harris parking lot.

The bike is the bike is the bike - same exact courses as have been for years. The rollers are still beautiful, Jolon is still rough, nasty grade is still nasty.

The runs for both Oly and Long Course will be ~2 miles shorter. IMHO the Long Course run benefits nicely from the 2 mile snip because "the pit" is gone. You'll come out of the Lupine Meadow area (flat, dirt, baseball diamond, in the mile 9ish area) and when you step onto pavement you make a left and run ~1.5 mi home rather than the norm which is to make a right and run down into the pit, turn around and run back out. The Olympic course is harder (relatively harder, since it is only a 4mi run now) and this is because you have to run up Beach Hill. It's long, at ~1k and it's very steep. Once you're at the top of it you have ~1.5 mi of running to do that's pretty nice but getting up there is tough.

Odds and ends: RD is urging all to rack their bike the day before and leave it over night so that you can catch one shuttle from up on top of the camping area down to Harris start. Many of us like to see our bike in the morning (tire pressure check, nutrition/hydration detail). You could shuttle down to the transition area, make final touches and then walk the two miles to Harris for the start - it's an option. Only athletes will be shuttled to Harris for the start - no family or friends, they can walk if they want. If there was ever a race where you wanted to double check that your name and phone number are in your wetsuit - this is it. Lastly, there's always one or two who will be tempted to run barefoot from Harris to Lynch - respect, but don't do it. The dry lake bed is loaded with dangerous human detritus. I saw rusted cables, broken beer bottles, torn aluminum cans and more. Much of this hidden in the sand on the second half of the run. A swim warm up will be unlikely as the RD wants to try and keep the churn up of silty bottom to a minimum - consider bringing some resistance bands for a dry-land warm up.

Best of luck to all, wish I could be there with ya but PATCO Dallas holds sway.

Ian

PS. The mountain bike is 100% new and different and probably better but I'm less sure of those details so I'm holding back.

Ian thanks for all the details. Not racing this year (it is a shame that I always need to pick between St. Croix and WF on the same weekened),but all the changes this year actually sound quite interesting. My quick thought is that the first run makes the bike much harder. Also anyone with calf and achilles issues, when you come out of the water stretch them a bit before hitting that steep climb. Going from plantar flex in the swim to dorsi flex on the climb can be pretty traumatic! The start of the second run will also feel much harder (as it would in a duathlon) on account of the first run. Missing the pit out of the end of the run sounds like a really decent "trade off"!!!

Best of luck. I've done it 3 time and will head back one of these years. I have some nerve damage in my left leg from a crash 3 years ago and have been avoiding cross country running courses as much as possible. Some courses have short cross country legs, but Wildflower is a tough one and you need to be 100% for that.
Quote Reply